★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Pepper
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 9.3 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.5 (2)
App description: SKITRIX: THE WORD GAME... TOP 50 WORD GAME!!! What's Hot App!!!

In collaboration with OpenFeints Free Game of the Day, Skitrix is Free for TODAY only. Remember to download OpenFeints Game Channel App to get the Free Game of the Day every day!

38 in Word Games!!! 162 in Family Games!!!

Enjoy an unusual twist on classic board and computer games. Skitrix is a falling block word game like no other before! Line up the letters to make 3 to 7 letter words. The longer the words the more points you get.

Be on the look out for the Red and Blue Pills, which can erase any row or column. The Bomb will erase the row and the column where it lands.

So download today and let the letters fall!

skitrix's comments:
Check it out!

01-14-2011, 09:37 PM
So, it's basically a combination of Tetris and Scrabble (or at least I think so). You tap the sides and bottom of the screen to move letter blocks to stack on top of each other and create words. The bigger your words, the more your points go up. There are a bunch of levels (I've only gotten to lvl 6), each with a different speed blocks fall at. There are 3 special blocks, the bomb and the "pills", which destroy letters when you place them.

I think it's pretty fun, but the blocks should be controlled by dragging, not tapping around the screen, as I sometimes tap in slightly the wrong place and can't put the letter in the right area of the screen.

Also, I was at level one with around 400 points when I put together two five-letter words at the same time, it threw me up to 5000 points at level 4 . Is that supposed to happen?

There's a word missing from your dictionary!!!

Emo is actually a word, look it up in the dictionary.
I'm glad to say that "emu" Works perfectly fine, though!

01-15-2011, 03:18 AM
That is indeed supposed to happen. You get huge bonuses for making two words simultaneously. Depending on the length of the words, you get huge bonuses.

As for "emo" it's not an actual word, but an abbreviation
01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitrix View Post
That is indeed supposed to happen. You get huge bonuses for making two words simultaneously. Depending on the length of the words, you get huge bonuses.

As for "emo" it's not an actual word, but an abbreviation
It used to be an abbreviation, but it's evolved to become a full blown word.

Another word missing:

Tiki is actually also a word.
01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
We'll work on expanding the dictionary. We're also adding more themes, and additional game modes, i.e. time trial.

Please feel free to suggest other changes you'd like to see.
01-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Quote:
We'll work on expanding the dictionary. We're also adding more themes, and additional game modes, i.e. time trial.

Please feel free to suggest other changes you'd like to see.
Good to know you're working on it!
Quick question: How many people made this? Is it just you, or did you have help?
01-15-2011, 02:55 PM
To answer your question. Skitrix was developed solely by myself, and the graphics were done by one of our designers. I'm quite fond of word games, and that led to Skitrix's birth. I work at a company called Pepper.pk.

Here's a little information about the company.

Cheers.

At Pepper.pk we're a 100% dedicated to developing fun, easy to use and really useful tools for your favourite mobile devices. Our apps range from productivity and communication tools to lifestyle applications and games. Each and every member of our team is super passionate about mobility, smartphones and the fact that these exciting new devices represent the future of computing. We want to be an important part of that future.
Whether you prefer the Blackberry, the iPhone, the Pre, Windows Mobile phones or J2ME devices, we've got apps and tools you can add to your repertoire and enhance your productivity, make your day run smoother and easier, and of course, have a little fun while you're at it! Check out our product catalog, where we're constantly adding new applications for the coolest phones. And if you're already a user, we'd love to hear from you! Email us at info@pepper.pk

Last edited by skitrix; 01-15-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: fixed email
01-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
To answer your question. Skitrix was developed solely by myself, and the graphics were done by one of our designers. I'm quite fond of word games, and that led to Skitrix's birth. I work at a company called Pepper.pk.

Here's a little information about the company.

Cheers.

At Pepper.pk we're a 100% dedicated to developing fun, easy to use and really useful tools for your favourite mobile devices. Our apps range from productivity and communication tools to lifestyle applications and games. Each and every member of our team is super passionate about mobility, smartphones and the fact that these exciting new devices represent the future of computing. We want to be an important part of that future.
Whether you prefer the Blackberry, the iPhone, the Pre, Windows Mobile phones or J2ME devices, we've got apps and tools you can add to your repertoire and enhance your productivity, make your day run smoother and easier, and of course, have a little fun while you're at it! Check out our product catalog, where we're constantly adding new applications for the coolest phones. And if you're already a user, we'd love to hear from you! Email us at info [at] pepper.pk
Thanks for the info. I actually didn't read the "about us" section when I asked that, sorry. Check the part of the quote I put in bold. Shouldn't it say info@pepper.pk?

A few suggestions for the game:

A "Resume Game" button, so if you exit the game you don't have to start over again.

More themes!

Dragging instead of tapping the sides of the screen

Slightly faster point-gaining for shorter words, less point-gaining for longer ones. I can play this for 10 minutes and only get up to 500 points, but then (as I said earlier) I can put two big words together and shoot up to 5000 within seconds.

Keep updating the dictionary!

Gamecenter
01-15-2011, 03:50 PM
You're absolutely right. We'll look at allowing users to resume a game.

As for scoring, here's how it works. It's basically the (length of the word) factorial.

And if you make two words simultaneously, i.e. NUTS
-----------------------------------------------------------O
-----------------------------------------------------------O
-----------------------------------------------------------N
You will get 8! = 40320.

The reason we did was because, as you would have noticed, making three letters words is quite easy. And because of the cleaner blocks you can also keep the play area relatively empty, if you plan a bit. Making multiple words simultaneously adds a strategic aspect to the game. Quite a few beta testers even got 9! points which is about 363k.

However, based on the feedback we'll look at improving the scoring as well.

Game development is an iterative process, and we hope to make Skitrix one of the best word games out there for the iPhone.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It's really appreciated!

Cheers.

Last edited by skitrix; 01-18-2011 at 10:59 AM.
01-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
You're absolutely right. We'll look at allowing users to resume a game.

As for scoring, here's how it works. It's basically the (length of the word) factorial.

And if you make two words simultaneously, i.e. NUTS
-------------------------------------------------O
-------------------------------------------------O
-------------------------------------------------N
You will get 8! = 40320.

The reason we did was because, as you would have noticed, making three letters words is quite easy. And because of the cleaner blocks you can also keep the play area relatively empty, if you plan a bit. Making multiple words simultaneously adds a strategic aspect to the game. Quite a few beta testers even got 9! points which is about 363k.

However, based on the feedback we'll look at improving the scoring as well.

Game development is an iterative process, and we hope to make Skitrix one of the best word games out there for the iPhone.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It's really appreciated!

Cheers.
Okay, I understand now.

Are you going to add the dragging controls?