Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 PM

Default Earth Defense Force by DotEmu / Jaleco - [v1.1 - Bug Fix]

Earth Defense Force by DotEmu, part of the 17 Jaleco games has just popped up in the app store (verified in US store).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/earth-defense-force/id406673188?mt=8&ls=1

Last edited by LTronic; 01-14-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Usual concerns: framerate and controls. Any impressions?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I've only just played the first level so far, but initial impressions are great!

Great controls, no problem with the relative touch... They leave a bar on the left of the screen to control your ship, but your finger can wander into the main screen if you want/need to. Framerate is like butter.

Anyone who likes old school horizontal shooters like R-Type should give it a shot.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy liquid View Post
I've only just played the first level so far, but initial impressions are great!

Great controls, no problem with the relative touch... They leave a bar on the left of the screen to control your ship, but your finger can wander into the main screen if you want/need to. Framerate is like butter.

Anyone who likes old school horizontal shooters like R-Type should give it a shot.
I can confirm that.
Bought it on iPhone 3GS / iOS 4.1

Very nice to play, solid framerate, solid controls.
Recommended to any shmup player.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:09 AM

Full story about E.D.F here [url]http://toucharcade.com/2011/01/10/dotemus-ios-jaleco-deal-17-titles-on-the-way/[/url]
Old 01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

This is a great game. It's basically R-Type, but with a different theme (techno rather than alien) and with more unlockables and a very forgiving (free) mode where you're essentially invincible. I guess you could say free mode is like practice mode. But to unlock stuff (more weapons and extra firepower) you have to play it on arcade.

Much like in R-Type, you have "pods" that travel around your ship and you can deal damage to enemies by hitting them with the pods (unlike in R-Type it's not usually that you'll use them like a battering ram, but rather they'll rotate above and below you to take out enemies that are slightly out of reach and too risky to get directly in front of) and there are 4 different weapon types, two unlocked to start with, that upgrade as you play through the game. Getting to higher levels allows you to move your pods in even more advanced ways and perform more powerful and tactically interesting attacks. It's a damn good game if you like the SNES era shooters, which of course I love. It's also funny because it retains these little graphical flickers and glitches too, just like you'd see in an SNES game. I'm sure they were part of that version and kept as-is on purpose.

Also, as I mentioned in the Flying Hamster thread, I'm glad they took a page from Cave and added the small control strip area on the left side of the screen. It makes the controls a whole lot smoother and it also means it's a lot easier to avoid attacks without your finger getting in the way.

The game gets pretty intense. Almost like a precursor to bullet hell. Of course you don't have just a tiny little hitbox, so it also gets intensely difficult! But there is of course the free mode if you just want to relax and play through, and as you unlock upgrades you can start with better firepower which will help you to improve even as you get better simply from playing.

I did experience a freeze-up (funny enough it was almost exactly like a legit SNES freeze-up except the music continued instead of staying on the same note) and then it crashed. It happened in free mode on level 4. I haven't gotten that far yet in arcade mode, but I will come back to mention any other crashes I experience later. I am sure that they'll fix the bugs though, and assuming they do, I highly recommend this game to retro shooter fans. This is definitely one of the best of the retro revival shmups for iOS.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM
iPad Air, iOS 5.x

Really like the game but has bugs. The continue has only worked once for me (of about 8 games) hope they fix these fast. I wish they had done more testing. I'm playing on iPhone 4 and iPad latest firmware on both.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Hanson View Post
Really like the game but has bugs. The continue has only worked once for me (of about 8 games) hope they fix these fast. I wish they had done more testing. I'm playing on iPhone 4 and iPad latest firmware on both.
It seems like the way around this is to tap the screen immediately when it displays the continue prompt--don't let it begin to count down because that will cause a freeze. I experienced the bug when I let it begin to count down and then after that continued four times in a row successfully with this method.

I expect the bugs will get fixed, and the game totally rocks so I still am giving it a thumbs up and a hearty recommendation to anyone who's on the fence.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
It seems like the way around this is to tap the screen immediately when it displays the continue prompt--don't let it begin to count down because that will cause a freeze. I experienced the bug when I let it begin to count down and then after that continued four times in a row successfully with this method.

I expect the bugs will get fixed, and the game totally rocks so I still am giving it a thumbs up and a hearty recommendation to anyone who's on the fence.
Hello everybody,

Like medianotzu said, there is a lil' bug about the continue in Arcade Mode. To avoid it, just touch one time on the screen when the continue is displayed.

This bug will be resolved in a future update same as the correct hi-score display ingame (instead of always 100000).

Have a nice day everybody and feel free to tell us about other issues.
We hope you enjoy this game.
See you soon.

DotEmu Team