★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

why do people create free games ?

01-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to kii
why do people create free games ?

why do people create free games for the iphone?

please enlighten me -
i can do my research of course but i thought this would be the right place
to ask the question ? and get some great answers ..

also have you heard about the 14 year old Robert Ney

who has created a free version on the bubble game
which has become the no.1 free app and has knocked
" Angry birds " off its most popular post ?

400, 000 downloads in one day !

cheers
kevin

there's a touch of animators madness at go-ideas
http://go-ideas.org

Last edited by kii; 01-15-2011 at 05:06 AM.
01-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Millions

Free games make more money than you do in ten lifetimes thats why

They put ads around the game and Adsense

Take Angry Birds they put Adsense around Android in the place here people clicked accidentally.
Very smart

I am about to sell my house for some profit to get some cash to get my multi player word game developed for Iphone and Android paid for Iphone and free for Android. As an individual I have to do this as no studio or programmer is interested to partner ith me. But seeing the latest Splosion man fiasco etc I am not confident to send details to anyone only hire to get the job done.

Hope this explains your question.

01-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
I am about to sell my house for some profit to get some cash to get my multi player word game developed for Iphone and Android.
Do you have any experiences creating games and selling them?

JC
01-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Free games make more money than you do in ten lifetimes thats why

They put ads around the game and Adsense

Take Angry Birds they put Adsense around Android in the place here people clicked accidentally.
Very smart

I am about to sell my house for some profit to get some cash to get my multi player word game developed for Iphone and Android paid for Iphone and free for Android. As an individual I have to do this as no studio or programmer is interested to partner ith me. But seeing the latest Splosion man fiasco etc I am not confident to send details to anyone only hire to get the job done.

Hope this explains your question.
Selling your house to fund a game! That is a big step. Remember that you hear of the success stories, but rarely of those games that do not sell. Note how many success stories there are. Notes how many apps there are. Do some maths.

Some free games make a lot of money. Some, not all, a minority.

If you want to make a game, why not learn to program yourself? I've been a video game designer since the 90s, but I didn't know how to program. I learnt Unity3D and the programming to make it work last year, resulting in releasing my first game in November. As you are making a word game, something 2D would be more appropriate. Perhaps Cocos2D.
01-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post
Do you have any experiences creating games and selling them?

JC
Only board games
01-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the tips and risk warning but it will be partial profits of house sell.
I dont have the brain for programming or time to learn.

Board games are my limit.

What is Words with Friends and the clone games are they Cocos2D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonjump View Post
Selling your house to fund a game! That is a big step. Remember that you hear of the success stories, but rarely of those games that do not sell. Note how many success stories there are. Notes how many apps there are. Do some maths.

Some free games make a lot of money. Some, not all, a minority.

If you want to make a game, why not learn to program yourself? I've been a video game designer since the 90s, but I didn't know how to program. I learnt Unity3D and the programming to make it work last year, resulting in releasing my first game in November. As you are making a word game, something 2D would be more appropriate. Perhaps Cocos2D.

Last edited by Noodler; 01-15-2011 at 09:23 AM.
01-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to kii
noodler - millions

yes that answers my question -
thanks noodler

Last edited by kii; 01-15-2011 at 09:13 PM.
01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
I am about to sell my house for some profit to get some cash to get my multi player word game
That is an extremely bad idea. The vast majority of iPhone and Android games do not even come close to making back the money invested in them. Most never even make $1,000. Other than a couple notable successes, the Word games category is one of the least profitable sections of the store. Betting your house on something you admit to having no prior experience with is a recipe for disaster.
01-15-2011, 01:38 PM
i think most in this thread missunderstand noodler..

he want to use part of the profit he makes of selling his house for development..

like you bought your house for 80k , sell it for 100k and use 10k for your project..

yes? no?
01-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
i think most in this thread missunderstand noodler..

he want to use part of the profit he makes of selling his house for development..

like you bought your house for 80k , sell it for 100k and use 10k for your project..

yes? no?
If true, that is more reasonable.