★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How would you do the controls for a fighting game?

03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
How would you do the controls for a fighting game?

Having played fighting games like Street Fighter on the GBA emulators and such I can tell you first hand it's a miserable experience. Putting six buttons and a joystick on a screen just doesn't work.

What would you propose for a fighting game? It could be any type, just one person fighting another? Would you simply cut down the number of buttons and dumb it down? Would you use swiping to jump towards and do special attacks?
03-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Sadly, I would probably incorporate graffiti style gestures like that StarWars game. But also the pseudo D-pad that Mobigame dreamed up for Edge. That is the only way I can imagine it working.

03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
you should make the controls invisible, you know like they only apear when you touch them.

I also like the idea of like 3 buttons on each side but i wouldnt want the moving controls there(up/down/left/right)
03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I'd try to think of something new that fits the device. Maybe something like idracula for movements and a touch/swipe system for fighting, I don't know. But I surely wouldn't try to reproduce the street fighter 6-buttons approach.
03-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodTouchApplication View Post
you should make the controls invisible, you know like they only apear when you touch them.

I also like the idea of like 3 buttons on each side but i wouldnt want the moving controls there(up/down/left/right)
I originally had invisible buttons in my upcoming beat-em-up (see sig) but playtesters said they didn't know where to tap, so I put icons for the buttons in. Now it makes a lot more sense to anyone playing exactly where to tap for what. Having movement such as the op was saying also can make things a little too complicated. The trick is to lessen the amount of controls for these devices, but give multiple uses for the ones you do have.
It will be interesting to see what Capcom do with the upcoming Streetfighter app (see here).
03-26-2009, 05:47 PM
*my idea*:

a type of 3d d-pad in the lower left corner. you never have to lift your hand to change directions. flick it up (as a 3d object ) and as the d-pad flies up, so does your character. assuming this is a 2d, tekken style fighting game, you tap the other character to punch him when near. you swing your characters leg up to make him kick you press your character's main body for defense. you can do gestures for special combos, but gestures that make sense: (for a spin, you might flick your finger across your character to make him spin. to do a flip you would to fingers and clickly send him flipping. to kick while jumping, simply fling the 3d object up, as usual, and swing your leg in the air. etc.)

as an option, you could have tilt for moving, but most people would probably not like that.
03-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Some of your ideas sound good, but it's not right tapping your opponent to punch them and swiping your characters leg to kick your opponent. It should be one or the other- ie tapping your opponent to attack them at that point you tap (and perhaps the punch or kick will be determined for you depending on where on the body you tapped), or tapping/swiping the part of your characters body you want to use.
03-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
wastedyuthe, is that game of yours a tournament based game, or do you have control over movement from area to area?

Because, if it's the former...then it isn't a beat 'em up, but a fighting game. And the two terms are not interchangeable (except, oddly, for the Brits, or so I've noticed).

Just wanna FYI that for ya. 'Cause if you describe it as a beat 'em up in the app description, and it's actually a Vs. fighter (tournament), some folks might cry foul. And it'll be because those folks would be expecting something like Streets of Rage or Final Fight and not Street Fighter.

BTW...looks good. Looks real good. Release date?
mmm, I also thought that the words were interchangeable

in italy we call them both fighting games (well, an italian translation of the term), but specifying if it is a tournament fighting game or side-scrolling fighting game.
03-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Funky punch but done better

Current faves:UniWar,Glyder, Assasin's Creed, Wolfenstein,Zenonia(beta testing)
☻/ my review site:cheatcodes4chicos
/▌reviewer at: appmania
/ \ There you go rocketman I've moved on from hobocity
03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
wastedyuthe, is that game of yours a tournament based game, or do you have control over movement from area to area?

Because, if it's the former...then it isn't a beat 'em up, but a fighting game. And the two terms are not interchangeable (except, oddly, for the Brits, or so I've noticed).

Just wanna FYI that for ya. 'Cause if you describe it as a beat 'em up in the app description, and it's actually a Vs. fighter (tournament), some folks might cry foul. And it'll be because those folks would be expecting something like Streets of Rage or Final Fight and not Street Fighter.

BTW...looks good. Looks real good. Release date?
I'm a Brit, so I didn't know any better- they're all beat-em-ups as far as I was concerned. It's certainly not a scrolling beat-em-up such as Final Fight etc., so I guess it's a "fighting game". As for release date, watch these forums within the next few weeks. More will be revealed when I start the official thread.