Openfeint 19 20.88%
Gamecentre 66 72.53%
Other 4 4.40%
None 2 2.20%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiirocks View Post
As Ovogame mentioned, it's still rather large even after being trimmed. For iPad usage (where you're encouraged to support all orientations) there's very little that can be trimmed.
are you sure.. maybee you should take a second look.. sounds like you did not implement OF for ipad.. most people who complain about size do not trim anything there is just 3 orientations avaiable iphone hor,vert and ipad general, because of is a centered modalview who looks the same on the ipad in all orientations.. bummer..

Quote:
Surprisingly, not a big deal. Users have not complained, and I've rather grown to like that stupid app. It's really quite bizarre. One would think it would be more useful and interesting to manage scores through the game itself. Yet the only score anyone worries about is the GC one. *shrug*

Ultimately, I don't think Apple is trying to replicate what OpenFeint does. I think they're trying to encourage developers to make high scores more integral to their applications. Providing a straightforward API accomplishes that better than the centralized UI of OpenFeint.
suprisingly its rather a fact.. the general users do not even know what gamecenter or openfeint is.. because is not even close as featured as xbox live.. people do not hunt achievements to have an achievement but to get the score associated with it which gets counted to their global player score..
opps.. something GC doesnt even have..

casual gamer do not care about such stuff at all.. but "core" gamers do and they usualy like to have a digitized e-pen-is

and that gc has no problems is a joke.. offline problem, scores and achievements to registered due to connection problems, easily hackable leaderboards with tons of fake numbers published etc. etc.

and the centralized ui of OF is a plus not a minus.. if you want you can implement it to have the same behaviour like GC.. open straight the achievement list or any other screen you want.. no one forces a developer to always start at the central dashboard.. but developer are lazy.. so less features to care about is better.. you can even customize the complete UI of OF so fully integrate it into your games experience if you want..

both have pros & cons.. developer are going with gc, because its simpler to integrate wrong..

and yes OF is bigger.. which is pretty normal due to the simple fact that it has like 100 more features build in.. yes most people won't use them..
but most people don't care about achievements anyway.. they would not know the difference if your leaderboards are you own implementation, gamecenter or open feint..

do you need a life chat? forum? feature suggestions? newsletters? etc.
most don't.. probably not.. but there are gamers who like the equivalent of xbox live.. this OF is.. nearly as feature rich.

gc is different, its yet still slim.. so if you fight to keep your app under 20mb and don't need OF features then go GC.. i would currently still suggest to just go with OF 2.8 and GC.. so you get both and people can choose what they want to use.. and you get a login screen with GC too if you are not logged in.. so i don't see the huge difference except that apples api is integrated into the system.. no wonder here..

so implement what you feel is right for you and your customers..
Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Don't like it? So change it!

(At first, I didn't like the craps-table look either. It grew on me.)
if i would use it i would.. definatly.. at least make something generic so it fits more than one game.. or some nice base skin thats easily changeable to fit to eachs games theme..

i recently changed over 100 files in open feint.. because i could not stand a single color.. i might be nuts with such tiny details.. but if something bothers me.. i try to get rid of it..
Old 01-27-2011, 01:28 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Default Use both

I would say use both. We are using OF and/or GC in iRequiem. Give an option for the user to choose which he/she wants to use. We did this, and I plan to do it in the same way for our upcoming adventure game.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM
iPhone 3GS

Add another one for GC.

It might not have all the bells and whistles now but at least I know any future changes Apple makes (regarding 3 party tools, integration, policies etc) will not affect what I'm working on now.

So yeah, going the safe route and hoping that Apple is secretly working on GC features. A huge GC overhaul/update would be nice and is not far from how Apple likes to update things...well some things at least
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

I think the theory that end-players do not care about OF vs. Game Center has just been disproven:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...threadid=82492

Note the direct references to OF and GC. In reference to the "e-penis" comments, it seems from the post that GC Achievements are the new "e-penis".
Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I think the theory that end-players do not care about OF vs. Game Center has just been disproven:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...threadid=82492

Note the direct references to OF and GC. In reference to the "e-penis" comments, it seems from the post that GC Achievements are the new "e-penis".

wow a single thread with 2 post on a gaming related forum.. i'm shocked to be so disproved... just shocked about this amazing turning event in social gaming.. i feel lucky to be a tiny part of this moment..

sorry for my sarcasm.. but.. what the heck?!?!!?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

As a player, I prefer Game Center just because it seems less intrusive. I myself found myself irritated by the OF intro screens on games at first, whereas GC blends in more quietly, and it's an official Apple thing so seems more trustworthy. After I learned a bit more about what OF was I was happy to put my trust in it, but I was initially reluctant to use it.

As a developer, it's very interesting to read about all your thoughts on this. I've not implemented either into my game yet, but I'm at the stage where I probably will soon. My current inclination is to go with GC, but it's really useful to hear from developers who've already used them. Useful reading
Old 02-02-2011, 02:11 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Hey Guys -- Jason here from OpenFeint. Sounds like there are some good thoughts here about how to improve. Specifically, I would love to hear more about how you guys think we could change the sign up flow to make your gamers feel excited about it. The awesome features thing was intended to be a bit tongue and cheek ;-)

Anyway, lots of developers have chosen to go with OF + GC through our GC Compatibility tools. You get full GC support + offline + lots of other magic sauce (and cross platform once you port to Android).

AFA file size goes, it's possible to compress the art further and remove orientations or entire sections of the UI if you don't want them. (open source! yay!). If you're specifically struggling with this, please reach out to me and we'll help you fit OF in your size limit.

And for the record, we very rarely make breaking changes to the API :-)

Please e-mail me directly or hit me up on twitter @jasoncitron if you have ANY questions, rants, or constructive criticism. Always trying to improve.

Last edited by jasoncitron; 02-02-2011 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: removed double signature. fixed some typos.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 AM

I've been quite happy with OpenFeint for Super Fly. Game Center seemed to force you to do too much yourself. OpenFeint was more of a complete solution. Nice that they're on Android now too.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
wow a single thread with 2 post on a gaming related forum.. i'm shocked to be so disproved... just shocked about this amazing turning event in social gaming.. i feel lucky to be a tiny part of this moment..

sorry for my sarcasm.. but.. what the heck?!?!!?
Now that was truely funny Lol!!