★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Zed Worldwide
  • Genre: Kids
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 61.4 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: "If you love Arkanoid-likes, don't miss this." - Toucharcade Forums

Ball Slam Fantasy Tournament, an update to the 2009 hit title based on classic 80s Brick Breaker games, brings multiplayer to the palm of your hand!

All new level design brings you unconvential controls and wild, uncontrollable environments to test your reflexes. Featuring collectable paddles with unique abilities that can travel around the screen, an array of new and modified power-ups, and new bricks and enemies to face.

The best update of all features live multiplayer battles between two players over local Wi-Fi, with three different game modes and a host of new levels to pit your wits in.

Features:

* - 5 different pads available with their own unique features
* - An array of special power ups
* - Dazzling brick animated formations
* - 5 fantastical animated worlds to play
* - 4 Game different game modes
* - A fully featured sound track.

Vovin's comments:

Already TOFFTed it... I am a sucker for good Arkanoid type games.

Impressions soon!
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
I was looking for a long time for a new Arkanoid-like game and think I finally found it.

First of all, the game has superb graphics, excellent responsive controls (whereever you place your finger) and is highly polished. On my 3GS, I got fantastic framerates even when the whole screen and dozens of things are in action; everything is also crisp, clear and smooth like butter. The soundtrack is good - a fast-paced arcade soundtrack, like the game itself is.

There are 5 big worlds with lots of levels, a big heap of power-ups and 5 different paddles (you need to unlock 4 while playing), each with its own unique abilities. I love the clever level design and the feature to play multiplayer games via Bluetooth or Wifi.
The games comes with Open Feint support.

And now for the really cool stuff:
you can move your paddle around the whole screen. Touch anywhere you like and move your finger - your paddle will react instantly and moves whereever you want it to be, not just left and right like in normal breakout games. While moving, your paddle draws a short line behind it. This line and the paddle itself can deflect the ball. Also, the exit for the ball changes. There are open spaces in each level, first blocked by stones. Each time you miss the ball and this the one of the stones blocking the exit the stones crumbles a bit and vanished after a few hits. That is where the ball can get lost. Sometimes, the exit is down, some times left or right, dometimes left and right... Well, you get the idea. And sometimes... a wall opens somewhere, creating a new exit.

Vovinscore:

Graphics: 8,5 / 10 - for all the good animations, themes and crisp gfx in comic style, colorful and funny
Sound: 8,0 / 10 - the arcade soundtrack and the sound fx fit very good
Gameplay: 9,5 / 10 - this IS addictive, already got caught by the "just another level"-syndrome
Multiplayer 8,5 / 10 - now this is cool.
Content: 9,0 / 10 - lots of levels, power-ups, bricks... not missing anything
Pricing: 9,5 / 10 - for a buck... one lousy buck...

Total: 53,0 / 60 - really good!

This is, imho, the new Breakout reference on the iDevices.
If you love Arkanoid-likes, don't miss this.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-17-2011 at 03:46 PM.

01-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Forgot that there are other game influencing features:

- you can start your ball whereever you want,
- there are black holes which transport your ball around,
- you can cause kind of chain reactions,
- you can change your paddle anytime in play,
- collect stars for bonus levels
and lots of other features...

The devs made this game with love and and a few drops of their hearts blood.

This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 01-17-2011 at 03:01 PM.
01-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I know when you recommend a game I will like the game too.

I love breakout/Arkanoid games, so I am downloading now

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
01-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Funny - nobody else interested in this arcade gem?

01-18-2011, 03:28 AM
The first one that came out is my fav breakout type game, not so sure I need this one. I'm fine with the first one.
01-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.D. CrAzY View Post
The first one that came out is my fav breakout type game, not so sure I need this one. I'm fine with the first one.

The first one?
Do you have a link?

01-18-2011, 03:43 AM
Heres a link to the games TA thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=9687
01-18-2011, 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.D. CrAzY View Post
Heres a link to the games TA thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=9687

Thanks!

I have to say that the new one looks much better and has really cool paddles with a new movement and ball deflection system.
Also, it's just 0.99$.