★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Where's the report an application option in the store?

10-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Where's the report an application option in the store?

While we have options to report reviews and comments for violations, but where's the report violation button for applications themselves?

Just take a look at this new game Snake Deluxe:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294337267&mt=8

Do the landscape graphics look familiar? If for some reason they don't, I'm sure Nintendo would. Pretty much looks like an exact copy of Snes Zelda graphics, or one of the recent versions of it. The guy versions of this game on many other phones or devices. I can't imagine he got the rights to do this.

Last edited by TimothyB; 10-29-2008 at 07:29 AM.
10-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Img that IS Zelda graphics! It would be nice for us to report apps, but I think it is down to the company who own the copyright (Nintendo in this case) to contact Apple if there is indeed a breach.

10-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Hahhahahaaa i think youd have to contact Nintendo who would contact apple.

"Insert generic signature here"
10-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Normally in this wonderful digital world a company would only take down content if they're issued with something like a DMCA, or other legal instrument. These generally have to come from the rights holder themselves, so rather than reporting it to Apple, you should find out who to notify at Nintendo if you believe their artwork has been used.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I doubt that nintendo has any protection on 8 bit graphics style. This is what you get when you limit your color pallet and and use low res graphics. If the backgounds stole elements from Zelda where you can say this bush is that bush 100%, or the grass texture is 100% the same, then you'd have a case. Just saying, I agree it looks like Zelda, but is the style something that nintendo actually owns? I think other games from this period have similar graphics, like Phantasy star.
10-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Those are definitely Zelda's graphics (not just in the style of), which would be protected under copyright law. Someone's in for a slapping by Nintendo.
10-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post
While we have options to report reviews and comments for violations, but where's the report violation button for applications themselves?

While I think there are some comparisons I don't think it's such a blatent rip off of Zelda. If you really want to report it to Apple, just click on the reviews tab for the game or app you want to report. Click on the pen and paper icon as you would to write a review... Instead of write review click on report a problem... Hope that awnsers your question.
10-29-2008, 10:54 AM
I think that the Report Violations is there to report a problem with the app (i.e., if it crashes or contains a virus). I don't think that it's there to report legal infringements. It's funny how people quickly become legal experts - haha!

Let the developer sell his/her app. If Nintendo sees the violation and chooses to sue, then it will do so. I'm assuming that you have better things to do with your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post

Just take a look at this new game Snake Deluxe:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294337267&mt=8

Do the landscape graphics look familiar? If for some reason they don't, I'm sure Nintendo would. Pretty much looks like an exact copy of Snes Zelda graphics, or one of the recent versions of it. The guy versions of this game on many other phones or devices. I can't imagine he got the rights to do this.
10-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Even if you could report it to Apple, I'm sure they won't be bothered chasing Nintendo just to find out if their copyright has been breached. Like I said at the begining, if there has been a breach, Nintendo are the only ones who'll know for sure- let them deal with it.
10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I would write to Nintendo about this.