★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The bitching thread

07-09-2015, 03:07 PM
The bitching thread

Should TA stop with these opinionated articles and stick to the video games themselves, or are they interesting enough to stick around?
07-09-2015, 03:15 PM
I love the opinionated articles because it's about the industry as a whole. People can pick and choose to read whatever articles they like. I personally prefer something with a little meat on it. I've been in gaming for so long now that it's in my blood.

Follow me at @bitgamereviews for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.

07-09-2015, 03:17 PM
I mean there are a lot of opinions that I don't agree with, especially the "holier than you" ones, but I don't usually have a problem when it's more descriptive than opinion. Although when a polished game that was 5 years in production got less than Candy Crush, my feathers were a little rustled.
07-09-2015, 03:26 PM
I actually like them.
07-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdiddy View Post
Should TA stop with these opinionated articles and stick to the video games themselves, or are they interesting enough to stick around?
I like the article. Saves time for me as I don't have to moan at people for being cheap and not buying a game at launch price and then a week later they moan there's too many freemium games.

If people dislike freemium then buy premium priced games. The more money devs make on their still cheap games the better it is for all of us

Even at 66% off people were still ummmming and ahhhing about buying the game for a couple of dollars ! Find it funny the price has shot up now
07-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Sometimes I read an article and contemplate whether or not it's a troll article and whether or not the writer is out of their mind or just that smart.
07-09-2015, 03:33 PM
I couldn't care less for TA reviews as they're often quite meh. So the only thing on the front page I read are those other types of articles such as: opinions, articles that talk about mobile gaming in general, articles about game development and drama articles.

The thing I can't stand are those articles that are there purely for page hits (how to blablabla in [insert popular game name here] without spending real money) or the most insignificant game updates of popular games or just pure nonsense articles that feature a popular game. Please stop that TA

Well, at least they stopped posting lonnie videos.
07-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonomation View Post
I mean there are a lot of opinions that I don't agree with, especially the "holier than you" ones, but I don't usually have a problem when it's more descriptive than opinion. Although when a polished game that was 5 years in production got less than Candy Crush, my feathers were a little rustled.
This is the problem with review scores. People seem to think they're comparable across genres. People bringing up Candy Crush getting 5 stars when other games don't get 5 stars doesn't even make sense. Candy Crush is a casual match-3 puzzler specifically aimed at a mass market. In the market its aiming for, it's absolutely a 5 star production. So does that mean it should be compared to, oh I don't know, something like X-Com?

If a movie reviewer gave a romantic comedy 5 stars, but gave a summer blockbuster action flick 3 stars, but you REALLY enjoyed that action flick, would you get pissed about that too? Or would you say "hey these are two completely different things."

Or how about food. Would you deny the BEST hot dog cart in town from getting a 5 star review from a restaurant magazine just because it's not an ultra fancy steak house?

Sorry for ranting (ironic I guess given the topic of this thread) but it's just so old watching people trot out the 5 star Candy Crush rating without even giving any sort of thought as to if it's logical or not.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
07-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Site traffic is up, our Patreon is exceeding our wildest expectations, and things behind the scenes are going better than ever before. We're even streaming games again. I'd say we're doing something right.
07-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Well I dunno, a shitstorm is good every once in a while, but I'm worried that their opinions might spill into their quality content. Credibility is a fragile thing.