★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: 11th dimension
Posts: 1,277
I dunno. I have the money but I lost interest in my dsi after a few months. I do not want to be disappointed again. Then again the 3DS does look tempting. Ill wait a month or so after it comes out to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGameLover1 View Post
Um, to work it out, you need a chick for that.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardo View Post
heh heh, not necessarily....
01-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: +50° 48' 49.35", -2° 28' 28.71"
Posts: 7,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Holy shit people abroad are getting corn holed on 3DS pricing. £229.99 ($365.11) in the UK and €249.99 ($336.04) in the EU? Has Nintendo updated its currency conversion rates this century? That is absolutely bananas, and incredibly overpriced. Does that even include whatever wacky taxes there are, or do you add VAT on top of that too?
The price includes VAT (which just increased to 20%), but even so we are still getting ripped-off big time.

Hakuna Matata

01-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Holy shit people abroad are getting corn holed on 3DS pricing. £229.99 ($365.11) in the UK and €249.99 ($336.04) in the EU? Has Nintendo updated its currency conversion rates this century? That is absolutely bananas, and incredibly overpriced. Does that even include whatever wacky taxes there are, or do you add VAT on top of that too?
It's nothing new, prices here have hardly dropped on all iterations of the DS, whereas prices in the US and Japan, as I understand it, have been slashed numerous times.

I'm currently trying to figure out if it'd be significantly cheaper to just import everything from the States.

In-game name:winegum
XBL GT:winegum21
01-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: USA WA
Posts: 1,283
Regarding battery life:

"How's the battery power?
The system will take about 3 1/2 hours to charge and then last about three to five hours on a full charge. That's with the 3D effects activated. The company guesses that people who keep the 3D turned off could get as many as eight hours. Turning off the system's wireless via a switch, lowering its brightness settings or even running it in a dimmer power-save mode will all help the machine last longer. The system charges off of a power cord or while sitting in a plugged-in "cradle."

Common sense trumps internet stupidity.... once again.

Now Playing Broken Sword
01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-F View Post
Regarding battery life:

"How's the battery power?
The system will take about 3 1/2 hours to charge and then last about three to five hours on a full charge. That's with the 3D effects activated. The company guesses that people who keep the 3D turned off could get as many as eight hours. Turning off the system's wireless via a switch, lowering its brightness settings or even running it in a dimmer power-save mode will all help the machine last longer. The system charges off of a power cord or while sitting in a plugged-in "cradle."

Common sense trumps internet stupidity.... once again.
That's like saying that if you turn your phone off, it doesn't use any power. I can turn my Wifi off, kill brightness, play match three games all day long, and turn off all push notifications and kill backgrounded apps all to save power, but i would kill all the fun. Where can you play games with no backlight and still see anything, a basement? And the 3D effect is made by two screens being out of focus to create the 3D effect, so you can align them more to reduce the 3D. but turning off 3D just brings them into alignment, and so wouldn't save any battery.
01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: USA WA
Posts: 1,283
Your post doesn't make any sense. I don't know where I should start.

Do you consider what you are going to say before posting a message?

Now Playing Broken Sword
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-F View Post
Your post doesn't make any sense. I don't know where I should start.

Do you consider what you are going to say before posting a message?
Your post doesn't make any sense. I don't know where I should start.

Do you consider what you are going to say before posting a message?

Obvious troll is obvious.
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K?! View Post
That's like saying that if you turn your phone off, it doesn't use any power. I can turn my Wifi off, kill brightness, play match three games all day long, and turn off all push notifications and kill backgrounded apps all to save power, but i would kill all the fun. Where can you play games with no backlight and still see anything, a basement? And the 3D effect is made by two screens being out of focus to create the 3D effect, so you can align them more to reduce the 3D. but turning off 3D just brings them into alignment, and so wouldn't save any battery.
I actually do a lot of those things on my ipod, obviously wifi off only when not in use, brightness turned down but not off, push notifications are always off for me as I find them annoying, and trying to remember to turn apps off properly is probably the thing I hate most about the iOS platform. Why can't apps just have a quit option.

Also on the 3D, I guess it'd take more processing power to produce the 3D effect than regular 2D, so it'd use up more battery.

In-game name:winegum
XBL GT:winegum21
01-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: USA WA
Posts: 1,283
Oh boy.

Quote:
That's like saying that if you turn your phone off, it doesn't use any power. I can turn my Wifi off, kill brightness, play match three games all day long, and turn off all push notifications and kill backgrounded apps all to save power, but i would kill all the fun.
Explain this nonsense to me please. I don't get it. Can someone be this.... "bright"?

The hell does it have to do?

Get this: You'll get around 8 hours of gaming out of the 3DS if the 3D effect is off. Even more than that if you turn things like WiFi off. It doesn't mean that you have kill brightness, or funnier, kill "fun" as you say.

Man, think. Please. I've lost count of all the smart things you've said on 3DS' threads.

Now Playing Broken Sword

Last edited by Omega-F; 01-20-2011 at 07:44 PM.
01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
nevermind. I'm not going to debate this and I don't know why I started.

Last edited by K?!; 01-20-2011 at 08:04 PM.