★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App Shoppers are Ungrateful?

01-20-2011, 03:07 AM
App Shoppers are Ungrateful?

I want to start off by proposing a simple question, are app shoppers ungrateful. This is not a hit at you personally, yes you the one reading this. It's more at the community that leave reviews on the apps. I want to start off with my opinion and then ask you guys, I'll just state what I have observed.

Ipod and Iphone apps have come a long way over the past years, and are in no sense stopping. Though is the content given worth more than the price they ask for? Let's start off with Angry Birds.

Angry Birds has been updated over and over by the kind devs, and has and always will be (most likely) priced at 99 cents. Are they asking too little of a price for such a dynamic game? Angry birds consists of over 200 levels. Which take a great time to pass for most of the latter levels. Thats around lets say 100x3 (earlier levels) 50x4 (middle levels) and 50x5 (crazy had levels) that equals a total of 12.5 hours of gameplay. Thats more than a campaign in any recent releases for consoles. But angry birds isn't console quality? True I agree but with all 12.5 hours of gameplay, more time has been put into developing the game. Yes angry birds has been #1 for a while now, yet we still have those people asking for more and more free updates. And once you announce a small part of iap the community (not you who is reading this!) flips out. I mean would you rather have a bag of chips or angry birds.

Modern Combat 2
Modern Combat and Modern Combat 2 were great steps for gameloft in the dirrection of bringing a great fps to the underrated ios devices. With the intagration of online ranking and multiplayer it was set to be a great game. An update has been announced for more content for online play. And everyone (not you silly again its not you) is asking for it to be free. Which I find crazy, I would honestly be mad if they did charge, but being a concious knower, I feel as it would be justified for them to charge for their extra release, such as all games tend to do. This was not much of an example but the next one is what caused me to write this.

Dungeon Defenders
Dungeon Defenders, is a great game, albeit there are some bugs and some issues to be looked upon, but otherwise the developers have been kind in showing there support for the game. I looked and decided to post a rating, and I saw the price drop to .99c and I was just thinking, I bought a bag of chips earlier today, you are telling me that with something I ate in 5 minutes (and had to burn off for 20) I could of had a game that lasted me over 20 hours? WHAT!!! So I decide to post a review (I purchased this at the 2.99 price) and looked and the game had 2 stars, I was appaled. Then I read things such as

Elle.F.G
1 Star
Still buggy and lagging.
Ambitious but dissapointing

Dissapointing? The dev did really well converting this to an ios device, with this much content dissapointing, and it was only .99 what do you expect for a dollar?

Moorechez67
1Star
Gawdehmmit this game is so frustrating! Take out all the bull crap like voice and focus on getting a GD game that is playable. This by far the most unstable and unreliable app I have ever purchased of over 1000 apps. So much potential for this game but its just a heaping pile..... Fix this garbage.
I'm just asstounded, it crashed once that I can recall after over 6 hours of gameplay.

Devs work crazy hard for ipod and iphone games, its not easy flash html code(even if flash was easy) its specifically created code for the iphone and ipod touch, and everyone just seems to expect more (BUT NOT YOU, SILLY)

I hope I got my point across, and would love to see this open for discussion, if I did not explain clear enough it is 12:06 in the morning, and Im fairly tired. I had to say this, Im excited to see what you have to say. Enjoy this wall of text.

Yours, Maybenotnow...

Maybenotnow Productions
01-20-2011, 03:32 AM
man, first thx for writing such a long article to make your point.
as an indie dev(though not having released 1st title), i would say that i care about user review in appstore a lot while i was still working for another ios game company. though some users are extremely picky and even cruel to dev with their reviews, most of the users are good and they leave insight feedbacks or express their feelings towards the game. this kind of thing happens everywhere. so, you could do nothing to it. all you could do(as a dev) is to make a game as perfect as you could. for those who don't appreciate it, you could just let it be. you go your way, you can't please everyone.
sometimes, the dev does have responsibilities to the phenomenon. for example, you(dev) might happened to clone some ideas without making significant improvement. this could be annoying. you(dev) might missed a big bug or an important feature. all these things are the fuse for the users to blast and writing bad reviews in appstore. then you need to learn from the reviews and improve yourself.
to sum up, customers are God, and they have their points. hope when i publish my games, i could please most of them. LOL

01-20-2011, 04:21 AM
Maybenotnow; you made a pretty good point, although i guess it's something that everybody who is 'in the know' already acknowledges subconsciously, which is why, for example, i no longer actually read app store reviews- if you look, you can usually get a feel for whether the person who wrote it either
a) knows what they're actually talking about, or
b) wrote in frustration because the game had a couple of bugs on release and the devs were audacious enough not to fix IMMEDIATELY, WITHIN TWO HOURS, WITH FREE EXTRA CONTENT AND A FULL REFUND FOR THIS TERRIBLE INSULT TO MY FAMILY'S HONOUR.

Unfortunately, then, a lot of app shoppers, or at least the more vocal ones, seem to fall into the latter category. But for those using the store, who don't read TA for example, and aren't really clued in as to where to find info on quality apps, the store reviews will be what makes or breaks it for them...

Last edited by DusT_HounD; 01-20-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: grammar
01-20-2011, 04:42 AM
OMG I Love Dungeon Defenders.

Speaking of which - you gotta check this website that someone - not a dev - drew up for the trendyent forum - http://cfs.tistory.com/custom/blog/2...67%2C545731298

Strategy discussion to follow - in depth.
01-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybenotnow View Post
I want to start off by proposing a simple question, are app shoppers ungrateful. This is not a hit at you personally, yes you the one reading this. It's more at the community that leave reviews on the apps. I want to start off with my opinion and then ask you guys, I'll just state what I have observed.

Ipod and Iphone apps have come a long way over the past years, and are in no sense stopping. Though is the content given worth more than the price they ask for? Let's start off with Angry Birds.

Angry Birds has been updated over and over by the kind devs, and has and always will be (most likely) priced at 99 cents. Are they asking too little of a price for such a dynamic game? Angry birds consists of over 200 levels. Which take a great time to pass for most of the latter levels. Thats around lets say 100x3 (earlier levels) 50x4 (middle levels) and 50x5 (crazy had levels) that equals a total of 12.5 hours of gameplay. Thats more than a campaign in any recent releases for consoles. But angry birds isn't console quality? True I agree but with all 12.5 hours of gameplay, more time has been put into developing the game. Yes angry birds has been #1 for a while now, yet we still have those people asking for more and more free updates. And once you announce a small part of iap the community (not you who is reading this!) flips out. I mean would you rather have a bag of chips or angry birds.
Angry Birds has made the developers a fortune. As appreciation to all the buyers they make free updates- and this is also an additional incentive for a new buyer to buy the game. I'm not a fan of angry birds but I'd imagine there are people that do want more free updates- it is maybe expectant, but all the developers have to do is say no.

Quote:
Dungeon Defenders
Dungeon Defenders, is a great game, albeit there are some bugs and some issues to be looked upon, but otherwise the developers have been kind in showing there support for the game. I looked and decided to post a rating, and I saw the price drop to .99c and I was just thinking, I bought a bag of chips earlier today, you are telling me that with something I ate in 5 minutes (and had to burn off for 20) I could of had a game that lasted me over 20 hours? WHAT!!! So I decide to post a review (I purchased this at the 2.99 price) and looked and the game had 2 stars, I was appaled. Then I read things such as

Elle.F.G
1 Star
Still buggy and lagging.
Ambitious but dissapointing

Dissapointing? The dev did really well converting this to an ios device, with this much content dissapointing, and it was only .99 what do you expect for a dollar?
It's a review. A review is how good a game is, how well it performs on the device etc etc. It doesn't matter how much work has been put into it if its crap.. Not that I've played Dungeon Defenders(waiting for it on the PC) but if that person is harsh- then the sum of the review scores will reflect that.

Quote:
Devs work crazy hard for ipod and iphone games, its not easy flash html code(even if flash was easy) its specifically created code for the iphone and ipod touch, and everyone just seems to expect more (BUT NOT YOU, SILLY)
McDonalds worker work crazy hard to serve McDonalds but do you want to know about that? No- you're only concerned with paying your money, and getting your food.
Ie. these people make money for their games- its the whole reason for putting in the effort to do it. If they don't want to do it, maybe someone else will do it and make that money instead.
01-20-2011, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs07 View Post
If they don't want to do it, maybe someone else will do it and make that money instead.
Dude - I cld not make a game like DDFW even if I wanted to.

dnt have the recipe for the secret sauce.
01-20-2011, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapMad_D View Post
man, first thx for writing such a long article to make your point.
as an indie dev(though not having released 1st title), i would say that i care about user review in appstore a lot while i was still working for another ios game company. though some users are extremely picky and even cruel to dev with their reviews, most of the users are good and they leave insight feedbacks or express their feelings towards the game.
You do know that you are being cruel to Chair when you call Infinity Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapMad_D View Post
IB is the victory of marketing and promotion. regarding the gameplay, it is a piece of shit.
right? I think your will be fine when IB fans call you 'original' upcoming IOS game a piece of shit LOL.
01-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I agree with you guys, but we here are not the majority of the community you know?

Maybenotnow Productions
01-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybenotnow View Post
I want to start off by proposing a simple question, are app shoppers ungrateful.
Lol.

Anyways, I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with the OP. Don't know his/her position because the only thing I read was this.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltMyTouch View Post
Lol.

Anyways, I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with the OP. Don't know his/her position because the only thing I read was this.
Lmfao TMT xD.