Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Default copyright: Imangi threatens Quadrum

I think many of you will find this interesting:
I just received a letter from Walter Devins, Esq General Counsel for Imangi Studios, LLC, saying that my game (QUADRUM) "is identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis". (Work = Imangi)
Also he says "Therefore, you have willfully infringed Imangi Studios’rights under 17 USC Section 101, et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $100,000" - that is, if I don't remove it by November 11. "Imangi Studios demands that you immediately cease...."
I will post the complete text of this letter later, for now just one more quote:
"The following is a non-exhaustive list of copyright infringements of the Work:
1) The goal of Quadrum is the same as the in Work: "Slide rows and columns to combine letters into words" on a grid of letters.
2) The piece moving mechanics are exactly the same as in the Work - using your finger to slide rows and columns.
3) Words are formed left to right and top to bottom in crossword fashion in Quadrum, exactly as in the Work.
4) When you form words in Quadrum, they light up, just like in the Work.
5) When you clear words from the board, they get replaced with new letters, just like a particular mode of the Work entitled “Speed Imangi.”
"

So, does it mean I can not make anymore games where you slide letters on grid to make words? Or game where you have to make words from left to right? Point 2 is a killer - you use finger on iPhone, this is how it works.

I will not argue - Quadrum has simular mechanics, but still, it's not the same. And, believe it or not - I did not see/play Imangi before releasing Quadrum - was not looking at any word games - just had the idea and wanted to implement it.

So, would appreciate any educated advices, all the comments are interesting as well.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Ouch... I don't know what to say, I'm interested in seeing how this unfolds though. Please keep us posted.
Good luck
Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 PM

6) your game is released in the app store
7) your game may be played sitting, or standing
8) the title contains the letter 'A', just like Imangi

am I forgetting anything? I've said it before and I'll say it again...
why can't the creator of sudoku run around the store threatening devs like a jackass?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:16 PM

good luck. I know you came up with the idea yourself and did not copy from them. could you work out a deal with them? good luck again

exactly right battle born

heres a thought: try making it so when you create words they disappear, and more letters fall in from the top. and somehow implement accelometer controls, so like...tilt it to the side to make letters fall in that way. i hope you can keep it up if you implement these ideas
Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM

Fight it. Ask the attorney for the patent filing. And if they are filing for a patent, then fight the patent filing if you can prove that you had the idea before Imangi implemented it. I am all for competition and Imangi didn't create the Word Puzzle format!!

EDIT: And change the name of your app to Imanji - haha!!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM

you are giving it away for free, why can they sue? if you charged 10 dollars that would be wrong, but you are giving it out to people

Edit: whoops. they are giving it out for 99 cents, so I guess lost business, but what about lighter apps? Ezone.com is not suing for copying its lighter idea and giving it away for free.

Last edited by SLDROFHLA; 10-29-2008 at 12:20 PM..
Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Even the small devs are playing with copyright/trademarks now.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:19 PM

Add some of the stuff suggested in the other thread and your game will clearly be different from Imangi. Then, get a lawyer (hopefully a friend) and respond with all the reasons why your app is different and not a rip-off.