★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What kind of games is the App Store missing?

01-20-2011, 09:24 AM
#1
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 780
What kind of games is the App Store missing?

The App Store is littered with awesome games. But some genres just have a million stinkers, and some genres haven't been touched on much at all. This thread is to gripe about what's missing from the App Store.

I really want to see an NBA Jam or NBA Street type of game. I have yet to find a decent b-ball game on the App Store and refuse to buy the EA title after so many disappointing attempts playing their iOS sports games.
01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
#2
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Super Earth - Our Home.
Posts: 5,565
There are hardly any Cart Racers in the AppStore. (and those that are there are all old and ugly and so on.)

01-20-2011, 12:56 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Holland
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
There are hardly any Cart Racers in the AppStore. (and those that are there are all old and ugly and so on.)
Errr realy....
01-21-2011, 12:19 AM
#4
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 4,461
I agree with the Kart racers comment.

Can't really think of genres that need more games, but I'd like to see games like Hot Shots Tennis, Super Smash Bros, Powerstone, and Crazy Taxi, and Pixeljunk Monsters in the App Store.

Those(not including SSB) are some of my fav. games on my PSP.
01-21-2011, 12:30 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 1,278
Games like condemned. Also a lot of amazingly fun and (mostly) original flash games that I am really surprised have not been ported/recreated on to ios.

Waiting for: Forgotten Memories, M.U.S.E, The Shadow Sun, Galaxy On Fire 3, Daredevil Dave 2, JumpKnight: Missions, Topia: Age of Creation, Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Max Payne, 2013: Infected Wars, Battlefield 3: Aftershock.
01-21-2011, 04:14 AM
#6
I have to agree with really simple but addictive Flash games which could benefit from the device's portability and social features (Pandemic anyone).

But to be honest, what I'm really craving is a REAL tycoon game such as the classic Detroit (Wikipedia) or a version of Transport Tycoon. The experience with Sim City on the iPad makes me believe that they would be awesome!
01-21-2011, 04:45 AM
#7
Pokemon. Pity it will never come

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
01-21-2011, 05:03 AM
#8
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neehan View Post
The App Store is littered with awesome games. But some genres just have a million stinkers, and some genres haven't been touched on much at all. This thread is to gripe about what's missing from the App Store.

I really want to see an NBA Jam or NBA Street type of game. I have yet to find a decent b-ball game on the App Store and refuse to buy the EA title after so many disappointing attempts playing their iOS sports games.
True, the EA basketball games are terrible if you're any kind of actual NBA fan. The thing that annoys me the most is how off their stats are. Guys who are actual lights-out 3 point shooters are mediocre or bad 3 point shooters in the game. Guys who are ferocious dunkers are, again, mediocre or bad at dunking in their games. It's really pitiful. And the gameplay has no realism at all. If they're going to make such arcadey sports games they may as well focus on the fun styles like NBA Jam or NFL Blitz.

As for Kart racers, I quite enjoy Crash Bandicoot 2. It's no Mario Kart, but then what is?

I'd also love to see more interactive novels, gamebooks, and more sci-fi RPGs.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
01-21-2011, 01:58 PM
#9
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 9,382
We need a game like Super Smash Bros. And we could also use more great platformers with great controls like Grokion and such.

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.
01-21-2011, 02:17 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.D. CrAzY View Post
Can't really think of genres that need more games, but I'd like to see games like Hot Shots Tennis, Super Smash Bros, Powerstone, and Crazy Taxi, and Pixeljunk Monsters in the App Store.
+1 to PixelJunk Monsters! I'd love to play that game on my iPad. That is the first tower defense game I played, and it is my favorite!