★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

FPS RPG on iPhone?

01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
#1
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
FPS RPG on iPhone?

Sorry if this thread wasn't what you expected but, hopefully, with some popularity we can get someone (maybe even Gameloft) to make a FPS RPG.
What do I mean by FPS RPG? Well, the games I had in mind were:

-S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat
-Fallout 3
-Fallout: New Vegas
-System Shock 2
-Bioshock
-Borderlands

Now Technically, Call of Duty is an FPS RPG, but I'm referring to games where you're allowed to free roam and acquire side quests (See Aralon: Sword and Shadow).

I've surveyed my friends and the majority of them just love FPS RPG's and are willing to dish out big dollars for it on the iPhone platform. I mean, who doesn't want to play System Shock on their iPhone and boast iFallout 3 to their friends? From what we've seen in the latest games, I can say that a game like Fallout 3 wouldn't strain the iPhone too hard and System shock 2 (made in 1999) certainly wouldn't be too advanced for the iPhone. Please discuss and hopefully, we might be able to catch the eyes of a few developers.

To Developers: If you look at the popularity of FPS RPG's you'll realize that this genre will definitely be a cash-cow on the iDevices. Just in case happiness and satisfaction of your clients isn't good enough of a motivator

Some eye candy for ya:


If I saw someone play this game on the iPhone, I would cry.


Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCFQuHCjJvk
How could they make a Bioshock Mobile and not make Bioshock for iPhone? THIS IS MADNESS!


-Image thanks to Wikimedia.org-

Last edited by XxlCraiglxX; 01-21-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Images
01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
#2
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
But it won't be a cash cow. Games like those take insane amounts of money to make and sell for 60 dollars. Until that happens on the app store, games like what you listed won't happen.

01-21-2011, 05:44 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by K?! View Post
But it won't be a cash cow. Games like those take insane amounts of money to make and sell for 60 dollars. Until that happens on the app store, games like what you listed won't happen.
Ah but here's the thing, we already see games that have HUGE environments on the iPhone. Look at Aralon: Sword and Shadow! Well over 20 hours of gameplay (if you finish all the quests). Furthermore, Gameloft can easily buy the rights of System Shock 2 for a cheap price since it's so old a game. With Gameloft's development team, we can have System Shock 2 up and running in less than 3 months! If Gameloft priced it at $9.99 (because it's a HUGE GAME), it would indeed be a cash cow.
01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 348
Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day. Fallout 3 and Borderlands are two of my favourite games, but would be far to complicated to go onto an idevice. However Bioshock (one of my favourite games of all time) would work really well. Idevices do fps games really well - its time they did one like bioshock, with story and atmosphere as well.
01-21-2011, 05:55 PM
#5
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: That depends
Posts: 305
Send a message via Skype™ to iFanzine
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxlCraiglxX View Post
Ah but here's the thing, we already see games that have HUGE environments on the iPhone. Look at Aralon: Sword and Shadow! Well over 20 hours of gameplay (if you finish all the quests). Furthermore, Gameloft can easily buy the rights of System Shock 2 for a cheap price since it's so old a game. With Gameloft's development team, we can have System Shock 2 up and running in less than 3 months! If Gameloft priced it at $9.99 (because it's a HUGE GAME), it would indeed be a cash cow.
Gameloft buying rights... LOL

The latest iPhone & iPad games. Reviewed. iFanzine.com
"Awesome!"-StudioUFO "Very well written"-Foursaken Media "Cool, Love it!"-Bulkypix
01-21-2011, 05:55 PM
#6
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxlCraiglxX View Post
Ah but here's the thing, we already see games that have HUGE environments on the iPhone. Look at Aralon: Sword and Shadow! Well over 20 hours of gameplay (if you finish all the quests). Furthermore, Gameloft can easily buy the rights of System Shock 2 for a cheap price since it's so old a game. With Gameloft's development team, we can have System Shock 2 up and running in less than 3 months! If Gameloft priced it at $9.99 (because it's a HUGE GAME), it would indeed be a cash cow.
Aralon was mainly built over the course of two years by developers who must have had outside jobs. Most games can't afford such long build times. Gameloft doesn't even price their games at 9.99 because they can't make money at that price point. And system shock 2 in 3 months? Gameloft would never put all their eggs in one basket, and it's been estimated that Gameloft's development time is well over a year. Gameloft makes their money from the quick but fun games like NOVA 2, stuff that's not very deep but is a blast to play. I'm sorry, but most gamers would rather have eye candy over gameplay.
01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by K?! View Post
Aralon was mainly built over the course of two years by developers who must have had outside jobs. Most games can't afford such long build times. Gameloft doesn't even price their games at 9.99 because they can't make money at that price point. And system shock 2 in 3 months? Gameloft would never put all their eggs in one basket, and it's been estimated that Gameloft's development time is well over a year. Gameloft makes their money from the quick but fun games like NOVA 2, stuff that's not very deep but is a blast to play. I'm sorry, but most gamers would rather have eye candy over gameplay.
You seem to believe that the IQ of the average iPhone Gamer is around 80... can't say I disagree but, hey how 'bout letting us more nerdy guys enjoy this? If you keep up with the advancements in the iOS community you might notice that huge and immersive games are appearing more and more and are becoming very popular.
01-21-2011, 06:14 PM
#8
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxlCraiglxX View Post
You seem to believe that the IQ of the average iPhone Gamer is around 80... can't say I disagree but, hey how 'bout letting us more nerdy guys enjoy this? If you keep up with the advancements in the iOS community you might notice that huge and immersive games are appearing more and more and are becoming very popular.
But they're not truly popular- most successful 3D iPhone games aren't full featured free rome games. Almost all of Gameloft's games are highly linear, and Xenome, a pure free roam game, failed miserably. Infinity Blade installed to my videos app. I want high quality games as much as you, but they just aren't happening now.
01-21-2011, 06:17 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by K?! View Post
But they're not truly popular- most successful 3D iPhone games aren't full featured free rome games. Almost all of Gameloft's games are highly linear, and Xenome, a pure free roam game, failed miserably. Infinity Blade installed to my videos app. I want high quality games as much as you, but they just aren't happening now.
Come now, don't be pessimistic. Two years ago, a game like Aralon was said to be impossible. A year ago, a game like Infinity Blade was said to be impossible. Today you say that an FPS RPG is impossible. In all things it is better to hope than to despair. Alright I'm out of cliches, but you get my point right?
01-21-2011, 06:23 PM
#10
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxlCraiglxX View Post
Come now, don't be pessimistic. Two years ago, a game like Aralon was said to be impossible. A year ago, a game like Infinity Blade was said to be impossible. Today you say that an FPS RPG is impossible. In all things it is better to hope than to despair. Alright I'm out of cliches, but you get my point right?
Sort of, but building a game based on future market conditions is extremely dangerous. And an FPS RPG is already being worked on (Mission Europa) and more could be under way, but games of the scale you mentioned won't happen. I'm not attacking FPS RPGs specifically, and I think they could be successful, but not on a massive scale.