★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Ankagua3D- Another nice 3D Sokoban; $0.99

03-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Ankagua3D- Another nice 3D Sokoban; $0.99

[App Store Link, $0.99]

Hi, just downloaded, searched and couldnt find a thread on this game. It's really good especially because of the aztec theme, it's got great music , undo, 40 puzzles zoom and GREAT controls.

Only problem I would have with it is that it's too short, but the theme, graphics and gameplay make it worth a download imo

Compare to:

Fission Quest Lite

Discussion here: Fission Quest mini review and impressions

and to:

Loopy Laboratory. Check out Arn's video review of the game here.

Quote:
Keep your mind agile, while having fun solving the 40 puzzles of Ankagua.
Help our friend to escape from the lost ruins, putting the green stone blocks over the marked positions, but be careful, because one false move can be fatal, and leave him trapped forever!

GAME FEATURES:
- 3D game.
- Relaxing music.
- 5 undo levels.
- 40 addictive levels.
- Level zoom mode.
- Easy & intuitive screen control.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago

Last edited by salsamd; 05-11-2009 at 02:03 PM.
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
So there are 40 levels, but it's too short? It looks interesting, but I don't want it to be too easy. How are the controls?

03-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
So there are 40 levels, but it's too short? It looks interesting, but I don't want it to be too easy. How are the controls?
What I like about the controls is that its a d-pad and you can move like in Hero of Sparta and when next to a stone there comes a buttonand you can press push. it's not too easy. About the 40 levels idk, worth 1.99 for sure.

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
03-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
What I like about the controls is that its a d-pad and you can move like in Hero of Sparta and when next to a stone there comes a buttonand you can press push. it's not too easy. About the 40 levels idk, worth 1.99 for sure.
Nice summation...I'll probably pick this up since I'm a sucker for puzzle games. Visually, it looks like a unique take on sokoban. FissionQuest is the other one that comes to mind, but Ankaqua is more of the 3D overhead view.

Last edited by Big Albie; 03-28-2009 at 01:47 PM.
03-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Review: Ankagua3D a great new sokoban game

I know Ankagua will probably fall under the radar for many, but I wanted to give my impressions for what is really a solid logic-based game.

Ever try to escape from ancient ruins? That’s the premise behind Ankagua3D (aka Escape from Ankagua), a well-made game that throws some personality into the game of sokoban. Sokoban is the Japanese game of pushing boxes around a maze to put them into designated areas. With Ankagua, your objective is help your tribesman push green stone blocks over highlight areas so that he can get that much closer to finding a way out. Of course, the hitch is that pushing stones in the wrong order or placing them without thinking ahead can have fatal results for your tribesman. To succeed in sokoban, the key is to plan ahead, and Ankagua is no different.

The 3D visuals are great, and you can zoom in and out using the “+/-“ button in the left hand corner. In addition, the music soundtrack adds to the feel of the game. Ideally, the game would use the pinch zoom/pan technology of the iPhone/iPod touch, but this doesn’t affect gameplay. Ankagua uses d-pad controls to move your tribesman, which I found more than sufficient and responsive. When your tribesman is able to push a stone block, a “Push” button appears in the right-hand corner. As you complete levels, additional levels unlock. In general, the controls are very intuitive and effective for Ankagua so you can easily pick this up and start playing right away. Where Ankagua could use some polish is in the packaging around the game. Ankagua doesn’t offer a tutorial or a significant menu. You literally go from the intro animation into the levels page. Upon completing a level, your tribesman celebrates, and when you leave the game or don’t complete a level, the tribesman will scream as if you’re leaving him behind—it’s a nice touch. The devs should consider adding splash screens with humorous congratulatory messages when you complete a puzzle.

If you’re into puzzles and games of logic, Ankagua offers fun and challenging gameplay in a polished 3D framework that I think will meet your expectations.

Last edited by Big Albie; 05-03-2009 at 02:38 AM.
03-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the great reviews, I'm going to definitely have to consider this game now! I wouldn't have heard about it if you guys hadn't mentioned it!

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
03-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
Thanks for the great reviews, I'm going to definitely have to consider this game now! I wouldn't have heard about it if you guys hadn't mentioned it!
It's easy for good games to get buried especially by other ones that everyone else is hyping for better or for worse. Ankagua doesn't have much hype and that's not necessarily a bad thing since it won't have to live up to unrealistic expectations. For those into puzzles, I would recommend this.
03-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah this game seems to be the type that will get buried under all those big names. Hasn't created any hype (not that I've heard of) and a lot of people that have iPhones never check the forums or AppShopper. What a shame....
03-28-2009, 12:04 PM
IMHO, there should be a sticky for games that are gems that have just been overlooked or are under the radar.
03-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I just bought it. I hadn't really heard of this one but it looks fascinating and I love the graphics. Thanks for letting me know about it.