★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Ever rediscovered a game after finding a different game mode?

10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Ever rediscovered a game after finding a different game mode?

Some of my games, I did not figure out right away that there is more than one mode, and in a few cases, I have found that this second mode was just what I needed to make the game work for me. Has this ever happened to anyone else? One example was Spin Dice, it just was so boring because it was all based on luck and I tended to run out of moves before I got to do very much. Then I discovered that I was playing in 'casual' mode. Playing in 'timed' mode instead, you get unlimited spins and the game is much faster-paced and better to play.

Also, I just discovered quick mode in Imangi. I was getting frustrated with it trying to set up the perfect board. In quick mode, the letters disappear as you make words and you can just enjoy the gameplay and make words and not worry about setting up everything perfectly (I wish you could adjust the duration of the timed game, but perhaps that will come in an update). Suddenly, I am playing this game a lot more.

I wonder how many games we might give up on at first, unfairly. Maybe there is a small tweak we can make to the game mode or settings and suddenly, it will be a whole different game.
10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I have discovered different modes within a game and have prefered these over the default game modes.

A lot of this is guess work. I've learnt to press all buttons on a screen, to quickly tap the screen, shake the iphone, etc in case it unlocks another function or mode or option.

Of course, it would be better if devs actually outlined or explained game options and modes in the instructions. Or even better, if the games actually had instructions...

I didn't know about the different game play in Imangi. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out!