★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Beam Chess $2

03-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Beam Chess $2

Beam Chess $2
I never got it first time due to it having no AI as it only had local wifi multiplayer. 2.0 came out just today I think which now has AI.

I used to have Deflexion (now named Khet) think that was like $35 or so. It was huge but you had to be careful not to let kids play with the lasers to much. I really did like it but it was a huge huge box so had trouble storing it along with my other 200 boardgames. Plus the setup wasn't too much fun as you always had to look at the diagram and remember it's not just placing the pieces in the correct setup but always making sure the mirrors were rotate correctly too. So I gave it away after a year or so.

I might just have to get it and see if this is any good though.
I did read a month ago or so that Khet was making a game for mobile devices but no idea if that included iphone platform or not.

Instructions:

Your goal is to destroy the opposing King. You can do this by shooting it with your Laser, or by capturing it

- Each turn consists of two moves. A move can be:

o Moving a piece one space (diagonals are not allowed)
o Rotating a piece 90 degrees left or right
o Firing your Laser (only one of your two moves can be laser fire)

- Any move except laser fire can be undone with the Undo button before the end of your turn

- When both your moves are complete, press the Done button

- Laser beams will bounce off the shiny white surfaces of pieces.

- If a piece is hit on a non-reflective side, it is destroyed.

- The pieces have the following effects. See the in-game tutorial to see what they look like

o Wedge: Bends a beam 90 degrees if struck on the shiny side. Can be destroyed from the other two sides.
o Block: Beams striking the front surface will be reflected back on themselves, ultimately destroying the laser that fired the beam. Blocks can capture enemy pieces by moving on top of them.
o Flat Mirror: Beams striking the front or back will be reflected back on themselves. Beams striking edge-on will pass through unaffected.
o Splitter: If the shiny point is struck from the front, the beam will be split into two, with one beam going 90 degrees each way. If struck from any other direction, this piece acts like a Wedge.
o Angle Mirror: Beams striking this piece from any direction will be redirected 90 degrees
o King: This piece has no reflective surfaces, so it must be protected from lasers. It can capture pieces similarly to the Block
o Laser: This piece is the only one that can fire laser beams! If it is destroyed, you will have to rely on capturing with Blocks and your King to win.

Here's a few Khet photos from bgg.

Last edited by mrbass; 03-27-2009 at 05:39 PM.
03-27-2009, 06:22 PM
I've heard of this game before. My friend has it and says it's really good.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

03-27-2009, 10:27 PM
You always come up with the coolest games

Don't check this site or private messages often.
03-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
You always come up with the coolest games
I agree. Wonder if I will get the time to get good at this game.
A page of rules from the original khet: http://www.khet.com/rules.html
03-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Looks like fun instant buy, thanks for the heads up

Games Playing: Kids & Zombies, Infinity Gene, Q*bert, Resident Evil, Peggle, PacMan Remix
Listening to: Devin The Dude/ Waitin' to Inhale
03-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I played this as a board game and it was pretty fun... when some buys it please post impressions, sounds like a game I would like. Thanks!

EDIT:

YES!!! I AM A SENIOR MEMBER NOW!
03-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcup1100 View Post
I played this as a board game and it was pretty fun... when some buys it please post impressions, sounds like a game I would like. Thanks!

EDIT:

YES!!! I AM A SENIOR MEMBER NOW!
Congrats, won't have time tonight to play, bought way to many games within the last 24 hrs. Will get to it later, Galaxy on Fire is taking every free moment

Games Playing: Kids & Zombies, Infinity Gene, Q*bert, Resident Evil, Peggle, PacMan Remix
Listening to: Devin The Dude/ Waitin' to Inhale
03-27-2009, 11:02 PM
I dunno, I'd rather play Khet face to face with a person than play against AI on a small screen with so-so graphics. If only they'd build a premium version with metal or wood pieces instead of plastic.
03-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Downloading

Don't check this site or private messages often.
03-29-2009, 10:51 AM
So any good GatorDeb? I don't wanna blow $2 if it's crap.