★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dungeon Defense Strategies and Tips

03-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Dungeon Defense Strategies and Tips

Anyone have tips on the hard mode? Not looking for a complete strategy, but some hints to get me further.

Also, here's a general tip for the easy/medium levels: Once you have a fully upgraded light skeleton, upgrade it to a heavy skeleton as soon as you've collected 450 gold. Even the unupgraded heavy skeleton is *much* stronger than the fully upgraded light skeleton.
03-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Top tip: Place archers BEHIND your other units, this way they can use their long range attack as long as possible before your other skeletons get wiped out.

Never leave an archer on it's own, it will die.

Games Uncovered: The best iPhone gaming news and reviews.
www.gamesuncovered.com
twitter.com/gamesuncovered
youtube.com/gamesuncovered

04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Now that 1.0.1 is out the gold exploit is squashed and is it just me or is hard mode just a little bit...harder?

Anyways about strategy. So far it seems the only way to get enough momentum going on hard mode is to focus all energy on the middle spawns. I feel like I'm doing pretty good through R5 with an L2 archer and 3xL2 sword but the turning point of this game is definitely R6-8. If you can survive past those you'll typically have enough cash and upgrades to start really cookin'. Problem is I haven't found a good strategy to consistently get me through R6 much less 7 & 8. When the margins of success are this razor-thin, it's as specific as putting your archer on this spawn instead of that spawn even if it's right next to it. One thing's for certain, the archers are absolutely the key to victory, don't think it's even possible with only melee units.
04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Ok yeah, spent more time with it and tried different variations and I pretty much found the sweet spot to win at hard. It's basically as has been said above as far as replacing your swords with axes and getting range attacks ASAP and focusing early efforts on the middle spawns. The difficulty lies in knowing when to place specific units and when exactly to upgrade them so you have enough gold for the critical moments during R6-8 and that I'll leave unmentioned as it's the whole fun of the game.

However, the way I win it DK always takes some damage so I'd be interested to know of a strategy for hard where he stays 100% untouched.

EDIT - ok got it all figured out now, DK no damage on hard. After finding the way to win on hard every time it'll be great to see how the random mode plays which should be coming in a few weeks.

Last edited by deckard; 04-04-2009 at 09:58 PM.
04-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I basically have done the same thing.

Concentrate all units in the middle spawn area. archers in back, melee in front.

A few more maps should change everything and would force us to vary strategy.

Overall a good TD. A couple more units and maps and it would be top top notch.

What I would really like to see, is upgrade paths for units as well.

IE, bows can do area damage at level 3, or stronger single target damage. Might be interesting.
04-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard View Post
Now that 1.0.1 is out the gold exploit is squashed and is it just me or is hard mode just a little bit...harder?
We fixed a bug where the skeletons were anticipating an attack, but the heroes had to get whacked once before doing battle. Now they anticipate an attack just as the skeletons do.

And, yes it is a bit harder.

Last edited by jwhoward; 04-08-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: correct spelling
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Help

I need help on Medium mode, I cant seem to get past lvl 8.

Please advise.
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloft_Productions View Post
I need help on Medium mode, I cant seem to get past lvl 8.

Please advise.
Post up a pic of your layout for R8 and we'll give some counsel.
04-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I am really having difficulty on hard...I usually fail at level 6, but if I don't, then I definitely fail at level 7. The problem for me seems to be figuring out when to upgrade and when to add archers. I wish I new the damage differences. Also, I never seem to be able to afford the heavy skeletons (they last much longer and their strikes do a little more damage). I will post a screenshot tonight if that helps.

I am the managing editor of nodpad.com.

Sporting an iPod Touch 2 Gen
04-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Yep post a screen of your R6 layout and I'm sure we can get you slaying heroes in no time.