★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Who tried Fling Joysticks?

01-24-2011, 11:10 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 289
Who tried Fling Joysticks?

Very curious to hear some more feedback on the Fling Joysticks. Looks like a brilliant idea and looks to work well in the video. Anyone actually order them yet. I'm very tempted.

My only other concern is, if they are really good and a true advantage, as far as high scores go and online competition, will they be considered cheating in a way?
01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
#2
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDean69 View Post
Very curious to hear some more feedback on the Fling Joysticks. Looks like a brilliant idea and looks to work well in the video. Anyone actually order them yet. I'm very tempted.

My only other concern is, if they are really good and a true advantage, as far as high scores go and online competition, will they be considered cheating in a way?
I believe hodapp had ordered some and said they were great, but I don't quite remember so don't take my word for it.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog

Last edited by salsamd; 01-31-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: link

01-25-2011, 08:13 AM
#3
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,636
Do they work on normal iPods?
01-25-2011, 08:20 AM
#4
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwet17 View Post
Do they work on normal iPods?
Of course not.
01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
#5
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 420
I've tried them! Mine arrived today (UK, shipping might have been expensive but it was quick.) and... Slight problem

I have a screen protector on my iPad, its of the soft self repairing kind, you can leave a finger nail mark in the protector and it disappears after a few minutes. The Flings keep sticking on the surface of the screen protector, making games even less controllable than before!

So, i'd beware if you have a screen protector installed on your iPad of the sort described above. I've since ordered a different screen protector one of the crystal firm surfaced ones from Martin Fields, im hoping i have more success with that. It should arrive tomorrow, i'll come back then.

"I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation."
+Plus: maniac5ive may blog may not
01-31-2011, 09:41 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 789
sticky

i also tried them and like many i love them. they work really well if you get them stuck on good. only negatives are the price(which just went down, so its not too bad) and that they block a little move of the screen on your ipad(not much more) so all in all i think they are a great product.
01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,137
Send a message via Skype™ to Nullroar
I can answer your "cheating" question.

I'm a former competitive gamer, and many of my friends are still pro-gamers or at least sponsored (EVO, WCG, CSL...you name it, one of us is there).

Any competitive gamer (and that's who is likely at the top of the charts - the competitive gamers and/or scripters) will tell you that it's not cheating if you don't change the game.

Do pro swimmers whine when the other swimmer gets a sleeker suit?

...Yes.

But then they go get that suit, too. They don't change the rules.

These are merely tools to bring out your best. You may be "more" hampered by playing without them than an opponent is. Is THAT fair to you?

Let every competitor suit themselves accordingly in what whey they play best with. That's true competition.

/rant.

I've placed geocached DRM-free USB copies of my newest game in various locations throughout Europe and Southeastern US. Email me if you find 'em for the free "explorer" cape.
01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
#8
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 437
I got mine in the mail today, they are awesome. I've been playing geometry wars on them and its a totally different experience. I think the price will detract a lot of people, but if you are willing to spend the money on something like this, you won't regret it.
01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
#9
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullroar View Post
I can answer your "cheating" question.

I'm a former competitive gamer, and many of my friends are still pro-gamers or at least sponsored (EVO, WCG, CSL...you name it, one of us is there).

Any competitive gamer (and that's who is likely at the top of the charts - the competitive gamers and/or scripters) will tell you that it's not cheating if you don't change the game.

Do pro swimmers whine when the other swimmer gets a sleeker suit?

...Yes.

But then they go get that suit, too. They don't change the rules.

These are merely tools to bring out your best. You may be "more" hampered by playing without them than an opponent is. Is THAT fair to you?

Let every competitor suit themselves accordingly in what whey they play best with. That's true competition.

/rant.
what about the APL basketball shoes its banned from the nba becuase it gives players extra hops but it doesnt changes the game at all and anyone cud get them

Gameloft Live: OVOXD
Game Centre: Foomps
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
#10
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNexus View Post
what about the APL basketball shoes its banned from the nba becuase it gives players extra hops but it doesnt changes the game at all and anyone cud get them
I think you have to draw the line somewhere.