★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Bigfoot Studios
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 20.4 MB
  • Version: 1.0.5
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: PRICE DROP TO $0.99!

Teocalli is a solo strategy game in which the player attempts to quickly and efficiently build temples utilizing dice rolls. The player will roll special dice depicting colored symbols that match those on the temple layouts. Matching rolled dice with those in a temple layout will allow players to build temples and earn rewards in points, wild card dice, and additional turns. Maximize your score by pushing your luck while mitigating bad rolls with clever play and strategic decision-making. And due to the shifting nature of die rolls, Teocalli is a different game every time! Compete with friends for the high score, or challenge yourself to establish an all time best!
01-25-2011, 02:59 AM
OMG! Another RK Game!!! I love Reiner Knizia!

- I love boardgames

01-25-2011, 04:36 AM
In general, I have fun for half a day with Knizia's pure solo games and delete them to get back to the board games. I'm afraid that a game based on dice rolls won't be deep and strategic enough to grab my attention for a long time...

EDIT : whatever, I bought it, can't resist a Knizia game. I'll post impressions later.

Last edited by thevagrant; 01-25-2011 at 04:43 AM.
01-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevagrant View Post
In general, I have fun for half a day with Knizia's pure solo games and delete them to get back to the board games. I'm afraid that a game based on dice rolls won't be deep and strategic enough to grab my attention for a long time...

EDIT : whatever, I bought it, can't resist a Knizia game. I'll post impressions later.
Bought it too. Won't like it so much though. Still think Poison the best for those small games.

- I love boardgames
01-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Game Impressions

I've had two games this far, both in long (easy) mode. First thing to note for score addicts out there, scores are saved in the app, but no online leaderboards so far.

The game's presentation is nice, nothing exceptional but functional and clean. visuals are fairly simple and music is a type of Mexican tune on guitar which did not have the time to irritate me in 20 minutes.

The game itself is entertaining but I don't see myself coming back everyday for a long time. Basically, you roll a number of dices with symbol on them, and you have to match the symbol with those on the three temples to build. As always with Knizia, the interest comes from the risk/reward mecanism: you have to fill in a complete row of symbols or they are lost, and you can reroll unused dices, but if they are not usable on an empty space, you lose every progress already made this turn. the game plays in a limited number of turn, and the number increases when you complete a temple. So you have to be careful to take full advantage of the turn without risking to lose everything. If you've played it, there are a few similarities in gameplay design with Roll through the Ages.

I'd say it's well worth the price of a candy bar (a slightly expensive one, I have to admit) and I'm sure there is quite a bit of depth in the winning strategies to discover.

Last edited by thevagrant; 01-25-2011 at 06:56 AM.
01-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Another Kinizia game? Yes please. I have them all, and have yet to be dissapointed. Early impressions tell me the trend will continue.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Online Leaderboards with a game like this are a necessity. It's a 'no buy' for me without this feature. I think all other RK 'solo' games have an online scoreboard don't they?

Jamie.
01-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevagrant View Post
In general, I have fun for half a day with Knizia's pure solo games and delete them to get back to the board games. I'm afraid that a game based on dice rolls won't be deep and strategic enough to grab my attention for a long time.
Actually, Reiner Knizia has released some pretty cool dice games. Take the RA dice game for example or Decathlon, which you can download for free on his website. I don't think that his solo games are necessarily less deep than his board games; Labyrinth f.e. (released in December) or Topas got me coming back again and again.

Downloading...

Now playing: Unworded, Aurora Puzzle Adventure, Steamworld Heist, PinOut!, Sproggiwood, Colorcube, kubic, Mekorama, Open Bar!
Waiting for: Any Star Realms expansion, Nyheim, Onirim
01-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractgamefreak View Post
Actually, Reiner Knizia has released some pretty cool dice games. Take the RA dice game for example or Decathlon, which you can download for free on his website. I don't think that his solo games are necessarily less deep than his board games; Labyrinth f.e. (released in December) or Topas got me coming back again and again.

Downloading...
I spent quite a lot of time on Labyrinth too, it is kind of an obsession, both painful, sadistic and delightful (haven't beaten the last maez yet, only got to 9th level three times and failed miserably). It's still on my home screen! I was mainly thinking about Roto, Monumental or Robotmaster. Replay value of Topaz is nice as well.

One not so great point I just experienced: app doesn't save when there's a call on 3G phone... haven't checked if multitasking is mentioned for 4G.

Last edited by thevagrant; 01-25-2011 at 10:39 AM.
01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
great game! grats devs

Last edited by foxmulderino; 01-25-2011 at 10:44 AM.