★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Quake Builder and the Asteroids, BIG UPDATE SUBMITTED (+ shock @ success in charts)

01-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Game Impressions

After making Quake Builder free late last week as an experiment to see what would happen, I was shocked to see it rocket up the free apps/games charts cracking the top 100 free games, apps, puzzles and action games in the U.S. chart. As well as becoming the number 1 action game in 13 Countries...

Also achieving over 75,000 downloads in one day. All a bit of a shock compared to the 5 sales a day I was averaging when it was 59p.

The rise into the charts made me look at the game again and I spent 3 days frantically working on an update.

Check out the game here: (Update should go active around the 30th of Jan)
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quake-builder/id355345146?mt=8

WHAT'S IN THE UPDATE:
(submitted yesterday - so should go live with in 6 days ish)

Taking on board the main complaints from reviews, people didn't like the angry bird looking character, multi-touch blocks were a nightmare and some found it too hard to even get started. So here's what I've done:

- 'The Asteroids' - Pissed off looking asteroids can be unlocked which fly in and try to destroy your well designed constructions. (Replacing the 'Angry looking birds')

- Multi touch block control fix - the controls for the rotatable blocks has been changed so its far nicer to use.

- Multi tasking support - Making use of iOS 4s multi tasking, the game has been brought up to date so you can pop in and out of the game and carry on from where you left off.

- New artwork throughout - To match with the new Asteroids character lots of artwork throughout the game has been recreated.

- Faster loading times - The game engine is a lot faster and more stable, so fingers crossed no more crashes on older 2G devices.

- First few levels have tweaked difficulty levels -
Levels 1, 2 and 3 have had some adaptions made to Richter scale of the quakes and the sizes of the blocks.

Screen shots:
Main Menu:

Level 6 with the asteroids:

Level 1 slightly easier

Check out the game here: (Update should go active around the 30th of Jan)
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quake-builder/id355345146?mt=8

Last edited by draper3000; 01-27-2011 at 12:37 PM.
01-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Thx for the Update. Indeed the Multi-Touch Blocks are a real Nightmare, specially the Puzzle with the Jumping Balls was a real "No Go".

I would request the following Features:
  • Music at the Mainmenu, not only during the Levels
  • Lite Version
  • Stable Build. The current Crashs a lot during the Phase were you shake the iDevice Left and Right and the Times start to Run. Had 3 Crashes in the last twenty Minutes.

I`ll write a Review for the Austrian iTunes Store as soon as the new Updates does reach it.

01-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback Sanuku... I read a review on the app sayin about that level as well. Was that you?... Not changed its design yet, hopefully the new rotation controls will help. but I could make the balls less bouncy, morew friction on the long blocks or something?...

In reply to your requests:
- Music at the main menu, I've not added this time, but that's something I can do quickly and easily. Maybe a more chilled track compared to the in game one.

- There is a lite version already on the app store, though I need to work on the update for that one to bring in the updates in this full version. Also this full version if currently free so no need to rush the lite version yet.

- Stable build, this new update should be a lot more stable, as the game engine the game is using has been much improved by the developers. (Also just out of interest what device are you playing with, so I can check on one this end, if I've got one, thanks)
01-26-2011, 03:37 AM
Anymore feedback

Anyone else played a few of the levels for a while?

Any other feedback other than what's been fixed in the submitted update?

And purely for you own viewing pleasure, here's a image showing the way the game icon has changed over the last year, from early test game to the latest updated version about to hit the app store.

01-26-2011, 06:52 PM
update approved.

The big update has just been approved...

Please go check it out

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quake-builder/id355345146?mt=8
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Quake Builder feedback?

Anyone done the update or downloaded the game with it?

What do you think? better game now? worse?

I appreciate its not a super deep 3d extravaganza but for a 1 person developer making a 2d physics puzzle game what do think. What would you change, add... etc.?

Last edited by draper3000; 01-27-2011 at 12:38 PM.
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
Add more levels to the free version or make a sequel?

Add more levels to the free version or make a sequel?

That's my dilemma, if I make the game from the bare bones up again it will take longer but could be oh so much better.

Allowing for more intricate puzzle design, panning cameras, pseudo 3d depth.

Or add more levels to the free one to help keep it in the charts...