★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Unity 2.5 windows compatible

03-28-2009, 02:07 AM
#1
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 50
Unity 2.5 windows compatible

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2.5

I assume thats because you still need a mac to run the iphone add-on?

I'm going to be shelling out the $600US for Unity indie and iphone add-on next week to develop my game on.

Are there any devs out there using this? Was it worth the investment?
03-28-2009, 05:32 AM
#2
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes117 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-2.5

I assume thats because you still need a mac to run the iphone add-on?
Yep. It's nice that you'll be able to develop Unity-based apps on Windows, but it doesn't obviate the requirement of a Mac for the iPhone development side unfortunately.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
#3
Right, Unity iPhone is a separate product and only runs on Macs. You could run Unity 2.5 on a PC and import your project into Unity iPhone, but it's a lot more productive just to develop on the Mac in the first place since you can't do any testing on the iDevice with a PC.

--Eric
03-28-2009, 11:37 AM
#4
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 916
*sigh*
I know it could be expensive and all but Apple really needs to make an iPhone SDK for windows.
So many more people that want to Dev for it would be able to.

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
03-28-2009, 12:35 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM11 View Post
*sigh*
I know it could be expensive and all but Apple really needs to make an iPhone SDK for windows.
So many more people that want to Dev for it would be able to.
Sorry to say, it will never happen. The simulator runs off OS X api's. The whole app signing process is tied to the OS X keychain. And really, I don't think Apple is at all concerned with the number of devs, since they can barely keep up with the current bunch. And finally, Apple sells computers. They want devs to be working on a Mac, not Windows.

And really, the cost of a Mac Mini pales in comparision to the potential sales involved on the App Store. Nowhere on the planet can you gain such a large audience for the small price of around $700. It's a drop in the bucket. Heck, it's a drop of the drop in the bucket.
03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
#6
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Sorry to say, it will never happen. The simulator runs off OS X api's. The whole app signing process is tied to the OS X keychain. And really, I don't think Apple is at all concerned with the number of devs, since they can barely keep up with the current bunch. And finally, Apple sells computers. They want devs to be working on a Mac, not Windows.

And really, the cost of a Mac Mini pales in comparision to the potential sales involved on the App Store. Nowhere on the planet can you gain such a large audience for the small price of around $700. It's a drop in the bucket. Heck, it's a drop of the drop in the bucket.
They said once that it was possible but it could cost A LOT to do.

And I don't care about the Mac Mini. I hat them. They really aren't very good. If you don't already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, you have have to go out and by them. and if you buy them from Apple it will add up to about 1200 bucks by the time you have everything (including the Mac Mini).

And I would rather have a laptop. I do not like desktop computers very much. But the cheapest MacBook possible to get is like $850 for a refurbished version of the old (not with the newer good specs either) white plastic one. I would even consider getting that but I can't. I'm not from the kind of family who has the money to spend on a thousand dollar laptop if you know what I mean. I want to develop for the iPhone because it seems like an awesome thing to do and a cool way to try to make some money.

Apple either needs to create an iPhone SDK for Windows (and just so you know, I prefer the Macs and Mac OS over windows, but like I said, I simply cannot afford it.) or make a cheaper Mac notebook that is capable of running the iPhone SDK. They are leaving out A LOT of people who would like to develop for the iPhone. More than you would think.

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
03-28-2009, 02:33 PM
#7
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by petes117 View Post
Are there any devs out there using this? Was it worth the investment?
I used Unity to make Zombieville USA. The engine has a few quirks, but if you can work within the limitations it presents it can save you a ridiculous amount of time. Some users have had complaints of memory leaks, or certain features (like real time physics) causing problems with their apps, just to give you fair warning, but in my experience there are no real showstopping issues with the engine itself, just annoyances that can be worked around. I definitely don't regret using it, and plan to for future iphone games.
03-28-2009, 02:37 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM11 View Post
And I don't care about the Mac Mini. I hat them. They really aren't very good.
Yes they are. Even the older one, with the rather lame GMA 950 graphics, is perfectly fine for iPhone development. The new one is quite a bit better. It's pretty unlikely that you wouldn't have keyboard/mouse/etc. lying around that you couldn't appropriate or share. It's not like you need to go out and buy new high-end replacements.

Anyway, like LWB said, it's not exactly like Apple is suffering from a lack of iPhone devs.

--Eric
03-28-2009, 02:55 PM
#9
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 47
Used Unity to make Dead Man's Dungeon. Its a a great engine!

Vectorbox Games's "Dead Man's Dungeon" for iPhone and iPod Touch is Out Click Here!
03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
#10
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 50
Thanks for the positive replies. Unity is sounding more and more the way to go.
I had pretty much made up my mind 90% but I was wondering if there was anything I needed a heads-up about with this engine.
But if memory leaks and real-time physics are the worst I should worry about everything will be groovy