★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Free (ad versions) vs paid versions?

01-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Free (ad versions) vs paid versions?

What have you had more success with and what type of games where they?

any other opinions welcome.
01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Free with adds is 26637x better. Why? Because its FREE. And you cant beat free. As long as the adds arent super intrusive, its fine

01-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm thinking maybe it is good to have both because there are people who hate ads full stop, but,then there are people who don't mind ads if they didn't pay for the game.
Then there are people who will think well it's free it must be crap and won't bother trying, and people who will try it just because it's free. I don't know... I am just thinking. hmmm.
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
I see. Are you a developer or something?
01-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Something!
Giving it a shot with a friend, this is what we've done so far. http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/buzz-words/id413034499?mt=8
01-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Free with ads not in gameplay and in app purchase to remove ads. People expect more quality from a paid .99 game than a free game with a .99 IAP to remove ads, but the free charts are vastly more competitive than the paid charts.
01-26-2011, 10:32 PM
With a game such as yours you have two good options. LITE version available, with a full priced game also available or you could have a free game with ads, with an option to pay and remove ads. This is how will you get max downloads
01-27-2011, 07:28 AM
We have produced three games to date. Very niche and nobody would have heard of them. (they were called .™ ..™ and ...™) we charged 59p from them and made around 10,000 from all three. It wasn't about the money for us, it was about creating simple and entertaining casual games. However we will be releasing the 4th installment as a Free, with ability for users to purchase the adverts out of the game IF they hate them. In order for us to continue to develop (and get better at making passionate games) we need to at least cover our costs. We will be putting the adverts in the Game (at the bottom) and will be seen when you play the 'cool' game. Reason being we need the adverts to be seen, because if nobody wants to remove them the only way to monetize is to have the adverts seen. We will be launching the game on April 1st.

Do you think this is a VERY bad idea? I'm interested to know?
(i'm not about money, i'm about making great games (or trying this year) and am simply looking at ways to get more users to see it. I feel this way is the best)

'The Willy Wonka of the app industry'.
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM
I've got one of your games, I think it's "..." .

I don't mind about ads in-game, with two factors:

1. They don't cause any lag or slowdown in game, that just makes me stop playing, and
2. They NEVER get in the way of the game or me pressing the screen. Just say you had a button near the ad, that was easily to accidentally press, then I'd get annoyed, but if it's just a tilt game like ... is, then I wouldn't mind them being in-game.
01-27-2011, 08:23 AM
If you get a free version with ads you must make sure to do what sambo110 said to do. Then, if your game is any good, and you advertise about it a bit, it will get downloaded by a fair amount of people. A bonus for you is that it will spark peoples interest in your other games