★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Avadon iPad port in the works?

01-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Avadon iPad port in the works?

I thought this was interesting..

A little context: Avadon is an upcoming cross-platform (Mac and Win) turn-based indie RPG, created by long-running developer Spiderweb Software (aka Jeff Vogel).

In the dev blog linked to above, he mentions in passing "This will probably be the last developer diary for Avadon: The Black Fortress. We hope to release it for the Macintosh at the end of February. Then the process of porting it to Windows and the iPad shall commence."

Which would be great news for WRPG-loving iPad owners (myself included). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything else about the ipad version on the site. Still, one to keep an eye on. Spiderweb has a long track record with doing both mac and windows releases of their games, so an additional iOS port isn't as unrealistic as it may sound.
01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Reminds me of Temple of Elemental Evil, but not AD&D. Hope he is serious aout the iPad.

03-03-2011, 09:32 AM
http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/...-released.html

Jeff mention's that the iPad version is indeed in the works. I can't wait
04-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Read a few articles saying Avadon: The Black Fortress HD coming this spring. I look forward to this on the ipad
04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
kinda looks like Baldurs Gate... I'm gonna follow this one
04-12-2011, 01:09 AM
If you just want to know what it's like, you can play the Mac demo: http://spidweb.com/avadon/index.html

Looking forward to the iPad version, will be interesting to see what the UI will be like. The Mac version is playable with the mouse, but the keyboard shortcuts are kinda handy...
04-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Sounds like the ipad port is progressing, though perhaps not without a bit of stress:

Quote:
"I have been putting the final touches on Avadon: The Black Fortress for Windows in the hope of releasing it next week. I have also been shepherding the game through beta-testing on the iPad. The rest of my time has been spent trying to convince myself that I'm not having a heart attack. "
(via http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/...ag-of-fun.html
05-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythefool View Post
If you just want to know what it's like, you can play the Mac demo: http://spidweb.com/avadon/index.html

Looking forward to the iPad version, will be interesting to see what the UI will be like. The Mac version is playable with the mouse, but the keyboard shortcuts are kinda handy...
Good question, but well I played the whole game with the mouse, at end I perhaps used sometimes the shortcut to pick objects on ground but not that much. So yes it's not perfect with a mouse, with many more shortcuts slots the game would have been more pleasant and comfortable but it works anyway.

I think the problem of this iPad version will be with a problem with the original game. The visibility of items on ground/tables and more, vs the play area size. I'll probably buy this ipad version for curiosity but I think I won't be able play it really because of that.
05-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm confident the screen size will work. I've played many Spiderweb games at 1024x768 and 800x600 and the UI hasn't changed that much apart from looking nicer. In fact most of his previous games only used part of the screen for the topdown view and had permanent stats etc. displays on the border.

Btw., the Windows version is out as well now, for the unbelievers among us ;-)
05-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythefool View Post
I'm confident the screen size will work. I've played many Spiderweb games at 1024x768 and 800x600 and the UI hasn't changed that much apart from looking nicer. In fact most of his previous games only used part of the screen for the topdown view and had permanent stats etc. displays on the border...
Yes all previous games but Avadon, I have quoted veteran of those games complained about this for Avadon only. In fact the UI has changed a lot with Avernum 6 and then some more with Avadon, and before some Geneforge probably Geneforge 5 but I don't play this series.

Now the games are fullscreen with a non fixed resolution which is a part of the problem and floating UI elements. But also with Avadon all graphics have been redone with all new textures much more nice but also problems to quote items.