Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default breakeroids - the lost arcade game [Universal, Versus update]

Very happy to announce my first iOS game is available! It really has to be seen in motion to appreciate it. Now with Versus mode and the gun power-up that everyone has been asking for

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by coolpowers; 10-15-2011 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: 1.0.6 update
Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

This is a game that interests me at face value. However, the run down goes something like this:

If there was a lite I'd go out of my way to download and try it.

If it was a buck I could just about convince myself to take a chance.

At two, I'm more inclined to sit back and wait for impressions. Which, at two, aren't all that likely to come. And with the frequency of app releases being what they are, and the strain they place on one's attention span being as it is, I'm just as likely to forget all about this game's existence within a few hours, as I am to still care.

Last edited by Gabrien; 01-27-2011 at 03:59 AM..
Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Thanks for your response, and without derailing this into a price discussion (I think you could write a thesis on App Store pricing psychology) I'll just say I completely understand where you're coming from. More and more, games are competing for your time as well as your money.

But you also reminded me I meant to add some promo codes, so here they are:

9EN6W7KK9LFA
MPF46THJKRF3
W4JF9Y3RRY6F
JFTEMJXJAYLA
WFR9F9TJEPWW

Please respond when you take a code, and as always a review is appreciated.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Looks sweet been waiting for a retro asteroids game for some time, i've grabbed code WFR9F9TJEPWW thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 01:32 PM

Got JFTEMJXJAYLA thanks
Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Took W4JF9Y3RRY6F. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

got 9EN6W7KK9LFA thanks alot
Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Initial impressions:

Quite fun. I had never really thought of how a hybrid between Arkanoid/Breakout and Asteroids would work but this game pulls it off well. You control the paddle at the bottom of the screen by touching anywhere on the screen and moving left or right. The asteroids move about on the field as they do in the classic game, being able to exit one side of the screen and emerge on the other. The player's ball, however, will bounce off the sides and top of the playfield. The paddle is protected by a multi-layered shield that deteriorates as it is hit. Larger asteroids will fragment when hit into smaller ones. Clear the field by destroying all asteroids while preventing damage to your paddle. Collect powerups such as paddle enlarger and multiball along the way.

The vector styled graphics are nicely done, however a little blurry on the iPad at 2x. Looking forward to a potential universal update in the future. The sound comprises of basic crashing sounds while a droning heartbeat plays in the background, much like the arcade versions of Asteroids or Space Invaders. Everything plays much like in the original games overall. This leads to probably my only complaint about the game. At the end of a wave it can be a little monotonous watching your ball bounce around narrowly missing the last asteroid shard. You do have some degree of control over where the ball goes by moving your paddle wisely, but as the target is constantly moving, this can lead to a little cat and mouse chase.

If you've played Arkanoid and Asteroids, you pretty much know what you are getting with this app. Recommended for retro gamers.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I bought this game, and I agree, it definitely needs universal HD iPad treatment. I'm also playing it at 2x on my iPad and the graphics don't look so great. However, the gameplay is very fun, and the combo of Asteroids and Arkanoid work pretty well. The combo isn't as perfect as the space invaders brick breaker "Space Out", but given the two games you're merging here the combo works probably as good as it can. The combo of clearing the screen of astroids via brick breaking to pass each level is pretty sweet. Make it HD universal and it will sell and look way better. Thanks for a fun game.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Looks great on my iPod Touch 4G, very clean. Love the way the floating astroids mix up the traditional brick breaking game style. Make the ball a lot more unpredictable.