★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Attention smallfry publishers

01-27-2011, 02:30 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 127
Attention smallfry publishers

What is the point of making a game or games if you dont make any money?

This is to smallfry and not BIG companies
01-27-2011, 02:33 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,268,691
What?

01-27-2011, 02:39 PM
#3
There are plenty of reasons why you might make a game even if you don't think it will make money.

Perhaps you want to make a portfolio of games to show off to a big company so they'll hire you.

Perhaps you enjoy the challenge.

Perhaps you want to play a game of that type against friends.

Perhaps you are a masochist and enjoy creating failures...

And the list goes on.

However - I suppose that most people make games to make money, and they end up being flops.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 269
I enjoy doing it. If I happen to make a lot of money while doing it, so be it... but this is mainly just a hobby for me.

Games: Boom Boat | Boom Boat 2
Developer: Razoric.com
Social: Twitter | Facebook
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
#5
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoric View Post
I enjoy doing it. If I happen to make a lot of money while doing it, so be it... but this is mainly just a hobby for me.
I guess I should add what is the point if it costs you money to make it?

How is your boat game going by the way?
01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,005
Ditto. I've always done game programming on the side, with a long detour as a contributor to MAME project. Having the AppStore as a worldwide distribution center where people can self-publish on a level playing field is amazing, as is the feedback you can get via AppStore and TA forums. The fact that you can make decent money on the side is just a nice little side effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoric View Post
I enjoy doing it. If I happen to make a lot of money while doing it, so be it... but this is mainly just a hobby for me.
01-27-2011, 03:17 PM
#7
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,005
If you're looking at iPhone development as a pure business, and end up burning through a lot of money without turning a profit, I agree that would be pointless - no different than investing a lot of money into a stock only to see it tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
I guess I should add what is the point if it costs you money to make it?

How is your boat game going by the way?
01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
#8
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
I guess I should add what is the point if it costs you money to make it?

How is your boat game going by the way?
For many indie devs who do this in their free time, their overhead is low or zero other than time. It doesn't always cost money to make a game and put it up for sale. You may not strike it rich, but it could be fun. That was my take on it when I developed for the older Windows Mobile/PocketPC devices. I made somethng that *I* wanted to play that wasn't on my device.
01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
#9
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 618
A basic fact of starting a small business is that you will rarely make money out of the gate. The first few games might lose money, but you're slowly building up a catalog along the way AND learning how to better target your intended customer base.

If you keep growing your business - even if it's losing money - you'll eventually reach a point of critical mass. At that point you'll break through the barriers where your name is never mentioned and customers will start to hear your name. If your back catalog is good, it may make you some extra cash.

Think of it this way: Was Donut Games an overnight success? How about Popcap? If you do a bit of research on their history, I think you'll find that perseverance pays off.

What do you get when you cross Robotron with Bomberman? - Coverfire HD
01-27-2011, 04:08 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,005
It's not just that most small businesses fail to make money out of the gate - most fail and fold. There's no guarentee that perseverance will pay off. It's all too easy to throw good money after bad.

There are plenty of good articles online. google for "why do businesses fail?" and maybe Noodler can avoid making the same mistakes.

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiirocks View Post
A basic fact of starting a small business is that you will rarely make money out of the gate. The first few games might lose money, but you're slowly building up a catalog along the way AND learning how to better target your intended customer base.

If you keep growing your business - even if it's losing money - you'll eventually reach a point of critical mass. At that point you'll break through the barriers where your name is never mentioned and customers will start to hear your name. If your back catalog is good, it may make you some extra cash.

Think of it this way: Was Donut Games an overnight success? How about Popcap? If you do a bit of research on their history, I think you'll find that perseverance pays off.