★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Are you an iOS Casual gamer or Hard Core gamer?

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Casual games or Hard Core games on the iDevice?
Casual, for sure! 22 55.00%
Hard Core games only! 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll
01-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Are you an iOS Casual gamer or Hard Core gamer?

We are all different. What is your iOS gaming preference?

While there are a few hard core games I have loved for the iDevice, I am a casual gamer through and through. I always find myself getting caught up in the latest pick-up and play game.
01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm almost always playing the casual games like Doodle Jump or Cut the Rope. I love them!

I do occasionally play more hardcore games, but not often.

Follow me on Twitter
Best iOS Games Ever Made: Jetpack Joyride, Doodle Jump, Tiny Wings

01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
hardcore games all the way Modern Combat, NOVA, CoD Zombies, Dead Space, Real Racing with all assist off, any game that will drain my battery like theres no tomm will do

Gameloft Live: OVOXD
Game Centre: Foomps
01-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Hardcore baby!! I'm starting to worry though that my battery is being permanently damaged, I use up all my battery since morning and do full recharges 2-3 times a day. Then I leave my iPod to charge for the rest of the night.

Waiting for: Forgotten Memories, M.U.S.E, The Shadow Sun, Galaxy On Fire 3, Daredevil Dave 2, JumpKnight: Missions, Topia: Age of Creation, Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Max Payne, 2013: Infected Wars, Battlefield 3: Aftershock.
01-29-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't see games in and of themselves as particularly casual or hardcore. Sure some games are sure to attract one type of gamer over the other but really I think it is the gamer who makes the game casual or hardcore for themselves. I can play Tetris casually, but have friends who push themselves to the highest level because they like to play the games hardcore. I can play Cut The Rope or Angry Birds casually or try to play for all 3 stars and quickest time on every stage. Really I don't think any game is particularly "Hardcore" or "Casual" but rather the gamers play style and preference as how they play them.
01-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Even with all the big titles we have (Dead Space, Modern Combat 2, Real Racing 2, Chaos Rings, Infinity Blade etc.), calling iOS gaming hardcore is seriously laughable. Hardcore Gaming by definition could be subjective though. I even find PSP titles not that hardcore but that's just me. So it's all subjective: Doodle Jump is hardcore gaming for a 4 year old.

Current Vice: GoF2HD, Bastion, PvZ, Dead Space iPad, FFDim, FFIV, WoGoo, Solomon's Keep, Hook Champ
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I think you're missing the point of casual and hardcore. Casual games are games like you listed, ones that are simple puzzle, physics, or endless runner type games that you can just "pick up and play." Hardcore games have qualities like good graphics, good storyline if there is one, immersive qualities, depth of gameplay. Your discussion about playing casual games hardcore and playing a hardcore game casually just confuses me. Anyway, here are some games you can compare.

Hardcore games: Aralon, Real Racing 2, Dead Space, Galaxy on Fire 2, Modern Combat 2, Nova 2.

Casual games: Cut the rope, angry birds, Doodle jump, Helsings fire, Fruit Ninja, Burn the rope, Plants Vs Zombies.

Waiting for: Forgotten Memories, M.U.S.E, The Shadow Sun, Galaxy On Fire 3, Daredevil Dave 2, JumpKnight: Missions, Topia: Age of Creation, Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Max Payne, 2013: Infected Wars, Battlefield 3: Aftershock.
01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinice View Post
I think you're missing the point of casual and hardcore. Casual games are games like you listed, ones that are simple puzzle, physics, or endless runner type games that you can just "pick up and play." Hardcore games have qualities like good graphics, good storyline if there is one, immersive qualities, depth of gameplay. Your discussion about playing casual games hardcore and playing a hardcore game casually just confuses me. Anyway, here are some games you can compare.

Hardcore games: Aralon, Real Racing 2, Dead Space, Galaxy on Fire 2, Modern Combat 2, Nova 2.

Casual games: Cut the rope, angry birds, Doodle jump, Helsings fire, Fruit Ninja, Burn the rope, Plants Vs Zombies.
Hardcore games of course. I don't do angry birds or doodle jump none sense!
01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
I just play whatevers fun. Depends on my mood, and what's new.
01-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Hardcore.

I turned to the iDevice as an alternative only after the DS and PSP fell apart. I was a dedicated PSP gamer for several years. Ultimately, iOS gaming at it's peak is still not really hardcore enough to satisfy me. Although tech/spec wise, the potential is there. This is in no way a hardware issue.

I decided to purchase a high-end laptop so I could move on to true hardcore portable gaming. True, a laptop, similar to an iPad, is portable only to a certain degree. I'll likely turn back to Sony and the NGP eventually. I will always own an iPhone though, so I will continue to dream of the day when the AppStore truly steps up it's game.

Even Dead Space for the iDevice is only 3-4 hours long. So-called hardcore iOS games usually fall into this category. 2-4 hrs.

I have a copy of Dead Space 2 for my laptop. It plays at full speed, with no frame loss, at the highest graphical settings. The game looks better than it would on a 360. And, like most PC games these days, is fully playable with a wireless 360 controller. That, my friends, is the hieght of gaming awesomeness.