★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: A vertical aircraft game - Aerial Assault is OUT NOW!

01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
A vertical shooting game - Aerial Assault is OUT NOW!

gameplay video: YouTube: video

Last edited by luc!nda; 01-30-2011 at 09:20 AM.
01-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi dev! I made a thread earlier, but seeing as it's your game, we can use this one instead.

The video sold me on it, it's downloading now. Actually the video looks great, so I'm hoping it's as solid as it appears, with 8 levels, 3 ships, and what appear to be responsive relative-touch controls.

By the way, you guys should really change the screenshots. It's impossible to see what the game looks like with the ones you've included when viewing it on an iPhone or iPod Touch.

I'll be back with impressions after a bit.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
01-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Hi dev! I made a thread earlier, but seeing as it's your game, we can use this one instead.

The video sold me on it, it's downloading now. Actually the video looks great, so I'm hoping it's as solid as it appears, with 8 levels, 3 ships, and what appear to be responsive relative-touch controls.

By the way, you guys should really change the screenshots. It's impossible to see what the game looks like with the ones you've included when viewing it on an iPhone or iPod Touch.

I'll be back with impressions after a bit.
+1
A few forum members were pretty suspicious of this title, since we've all been burned before by apps with pretty but veiled screenshots. Glad to see there's a video, and it does actually look quite good.

Media, I'd love to hear your valuable impressions on this title.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
01-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
+1
A few forum members were pretty suspicious of this title, since we've all been burned before by apps with pretty but veiled screenshots. Glad to see there's a video, and it does actually look quite good.

Media, I'd love to hear your valuable impressions on this title.
Coming up! I'm psyched...hoping this is the next in a recent line of great shmups for iOS.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
01-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Alright, now that I've checked my enthusiasm back at the door...I'll give my first impressions. These are, mind you, only from about 15 minutes of playing, but as it's late/early where I live and I felt like I had a general sense of the game and its relative quality, I figured I might as well post my first impressions. I do have a few questions for the dev that hopefully will be answered soon.

The first thing you should note is that this is closer to much older titles like 1942 or Raiden than more recent ones. Graphically, it's not going to remind you of something by CAVE, and it is certainly not a bullet hell shooter.

I see in the description that there are supposedly "3 difficulty flights" which I hope means three levels of difficulty? I really do hope so because when I was playing it seemed too easy. Unfortunately I don't see a spot on the leaderboards for different difficulties so I'm thinking there aren't any. If so this is a major detraction.

Here's the good news: the framerate was smooth, the controls good...and these are two critical aspects. The art is nice in a very old school kind of way. You do have three ships to choose from, and they each have a regular forward shot that can be powered up, a more powerful forward-facing attack that can be used and recharged, and a bomb attack that deals widespread damage. GameCenter support with leaderboards. Nice icon. So the general bases are covered.

And now some minor quibbles: I did notice a slight hitch in the framerate when the bosses were about to enter. This is a common problem in these games, so it's not surprising, and it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way since there's nothing on screen at the time, but it is a bit jarring. I also thought it was odd that you have to clearly place your finger on the ship first before you can use the controls as relative touch controls. Like you have to start out with direct touch controls. Just kind of strange and I wasn't sure why that would be necessary. The "how to play" section is badly translated.

And my larger detractions: Levels are incredibly short. I played through the first 5 levels in less than 10 minutes for sure. I don't expect hugely long gaming sessions from a shmup, but if you can clear the entire game in 15 minutes or so, that is a bit lite in content, even for this genre. The bosses were extremely easy, and took very little time to kill. I didn't see much difference between the three planes, they are supposed to be different speeds, which may be the case, but it's not noticeable, however the red ship seemed to clearly have the best firepower. From what I saw (almost 6 of the 8 levles) gameplay mostly boils down to not getting destroyed and losing your powered-up weapon. If you have the highest level weapon, an experienced genre fan will slice through the game like a knife through warm butter. But if you slip up and lose your stronger level weapon you'll find the game becomes exponentially harder. There's no direct visual or audible feedback of any kind to let you know your ship has been hit. I stopped playing when I encountered a crash in the middle of the 6th level which erased my progress. Enemies aren't very visually interesting, except for the bosses, who don't really have interesting or varied attacks anyway. As noted, this isn't a bullet hell shooter, but the enemies and patterns were not especially interesting, or varied. There was a lot of strafing from the middle to the left side, to the right side, and then back to the middle. I wish there were some obstacles or maybe some enemies coming into the screen from different spots if not more interesting bullet patterns. If indeed there aren't more levels of difficulty then the game is much too easy for seasoned shmup fans.

Finally, the crash that ended my game shouldn't have happened. Hopefully that will be looked at. And of course I restarted my device after installation.

Could be a good game if some TLC is given to it in updates, but for now it sits decidedly below indie gems like Lightning Fighter, Astro Wings, Super Laser and UltraBlast.

01-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the write-up. Looks like the initial misgivings weren't all that far off then. I was far from impressed by the video as well. Too many nice shmups on the system now (as you know) to leave much room for something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Alright, now that I've checked my enthusiasm back at the door...I'll give my first impressions. These are, mind you, only from about 15 minutes of playing, but as it's late/early where I live and I felt like I had a general sense of the game and its relative quality, I figured I might as well post my first impressions. I do have a few questions for the dev that hopefully will be answered soon.

The first thing you should note is that this is closer to much older titles like 1942 or Raiden than more recent ones. Graphically, it's not going to remind you of something by CAVE, and it is certainly not a bullet hell shooter.

I see in the description that there are supposedly "3 difficulty flights" which I hope means three levels of difficulty? I really do hope so because when I was playing it seemed too easy. Unfortunately I don't see a spot on the leaderboards for different difficulties so I'm thinking there aren't any. If so this is a major detraction.

Here's the good news: the framerate was smooth, the controls good...and these are two critical aspects. The art is nice in a very old school kind of way. You do have three ships to choose from, and they each have a regular forward shot that can be powered up, a more powerful forward-facing attack that can be used and recharged, and a bomb attack that deals widespread damage. GameCenter support with leaderboards. Nice icon. So the general bases are covered.

And now some minor quibbles: I did notice a slight hitch in the framerate when the bosses were about to enter. This is a common problem in these games, so it's not surprising, and it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way since there's nothing on screen at the time, but it is a bit jarring. I also thought it was odd that you have to clearly place your finger on the ship first before you can use the controls as relative touch controls. Like you have to start out with direct touch controls. Just kind of strange and I wasn't sure why that would be necessary. The "how to play" section is badly translated.

And my larger detractions: Levels are incredibly short. I played through the first 5 levels in less than 10 minutes for sure. I don't expect hugely long gaming sessions from a shmup, but if you can clear the entire game in 15 minutes or so, that is a bit lite in content, even for this genre. The bosses were extremely easy, and took very little time to kill. I didn't see much difference between the three planes, they are supposed to be different speeds, which may be the case, but it's not noticeable, however the red ship seemed to clearly have the best firepower. From what I saw (almost 6 of the 8 levles) gameplay mostly boils down to not getting destroyed and losing your powered-up weapon. If you have the highest level weapon, an experienced genre fan will slice through the game like a knife through warm butter. But if you slip up and lose your stronger level weapon you'll find the game becomes exponentially harder. There's no direct visual or audible feedback of any kind to let you know your ship has been hit. I stopped playing when I encountered a crash in the middle of the 6th level which erased my progress. Enemies aren't very visually interesting, except for the bosses, who don't really have interesting or varied attacks anyway. As noted, this isn't a bullet hell shooter, but the enemies and patterns were not especially interesting, or varied. There was a lot of strafing from the middle to the left side, to the right side, and then back to the middle. I wish there were some obstacles or maybe some enemies coming into the screen from different spots if not more interesting bullet patterns. If indeed there aren't more levels of difficulty then the game is much too easy for seasoned shmup fans.

Finally, the crash that ended my game shouldn't have happened. Hopefully that will be looked at. And of course I restarted my device after installation.

Could be a good game if some TLC is given to it in updates, but for now it sits decidedly below indie gems like Lightning Fighter, Astro Wings, Super Laser and UltraBlast.