★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What is the trick to get reviewed on touch arcade?

01-31-2011, 05:20 AM
What is the trick to get reviewed on touch arcade?

Is there some special way to get your app featured and reviewed on the front page of touch arcade?

Does it help to buy a lot of advertising space?
01-31-2011, 05:32 AM
A good game which is unique enough will be your safest bet.

Also, I'm more than sure buying an ad space doesnt guarantee you a review.

01-31-2011, 05:50 AM
I am sure that it does not "guarantee" a review, but I guess it would help...

Maybe I am just being too cynical. Forget the thread. Having one of those mornings!
01-31-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightworx View Post
I am sure that it does not "guarantee" a review, but I guess it would help...
To be honest I prefer a review of a new original but advertised game than another headline about doodle jump or angry birds.

JC
01-31-2011, 06:37 AM
The "trick" is obviously to have a product that sparks enough interest so that the T.A. guys will notice and take a look. The second part of the equation is obviously to have a product that's actually good enough that they'll bother to review it.

Advertising will probably help with the first part, as it improves the visibility/recognition of a game, but if it doesn't live up to the second part it probably doesn't help much...
01-31-2011, 06:45 AM
The "tricks" are these 3 things:

A remake of Karate Champ
An emulated Sega game
Anything retro - preferably with lots of neon vector art

Failing that, they have said many times that they report on anything that is "big", and games that they like.
01-31-2011, 06:58 AM
You forgot anything to do with Doodle Jump, Angry Birds, or Enviro-Bear 2010 in your list.
01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Touch arcade given its influential position should look at more diverse apps once a week at least
01-31-2011, 10:49 AM
it's the usual across any of the big sites now.

you need something visually engaging (screenshots really need to be attention grabbing), with maybe something very novel to offer gameplay-wise. If it doesn't look "money" and/or the app is a well-worn game type by a dev who is pretty no-name, then odds are fairly good that it'll never be on the front of TA or a similar website. Other sites like pocketgamer.uk will be pretty upfront about the fact that you'd better be ready to spend some advertising dollars if you'd like to get some coverage from them.

But to be honest, getting front page coverage on any of these sites, while helpful (and a nice feeling of pride), is no longer even a guarantee of "the big time" anymore. Plenty of games get (repeated) coverage on the splash screen, and might enjoy a nice little (relative) "burst" of sales.. and yes very possibly even lead to some kind of iTunes feature, for a time.. but any of this is no longer any kind of guarantee of being "Made" akin to being asked by Johnny to sit over on the couch. Those days are over, amigo!

What can you do to succeed, then? Well, it's a topic of pretty heated debate around here..
01-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by suksmo View Post
Touch arcade given its influential position should look at more diverse apps once a week at least
I look at "more diverse apps" every day. No joke. The first thing I do when I wake up is look through every new game on the App Store, and I download any that look like they could vaguely even be remotely interesting. This includes apps/games that don't look "money", whatever that means. In fact, I generally download/try basically anything that looks like it might be a functional game. If your iTunes description and screenshots don't make that clear... well, you've got bigger issues than TouchArcade coverage I'm afraid.