★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Devs that doesn't take the appstore seriously

01-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Devs that doesn't take the appstore seriously

developers like capcom and sega are constantly shitting out crappy low production value games and ports, while they make good quality games for other portable handheld like DS. Resident Evil for 3DS looks so much better than the resident evil for ios even tho 3rd gen n higher devices have similar hardware. Sega is also just releasing old ports trying to milk whatever money is left in those old franchises

Gameloft Live: OVOXD
Game Centre: Foomps
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Don't you think this is an extreme generalisation?

01-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNexus View Post
developers like capcom and sega are constantly shitting out crappy low production value games and ports, while they make good quality games for other portable handheld like DS. Resident Evil for 3DS looks so much better than the resident evil for ios even tho 3rd gen n higher devices have similar hardware. Sega is also just releasing old ports trying to milk whatever money is left in those old franchises
I'd rather they release something shoddy than release nothing at all. At least it allows other games to look better in comparison
01-31-2011, 05:35 PM
They can charge $30-40 for other platforms though to actually cover that cost. Meanwhile ungrateful apple shoppers don't want to spend that much, but want equal or more. So it no longer becomes financially sound for many developers to invest in such a project. As great as Dead Space is on iOS, it's still not as complete in features and length as on the console/PC. It's more the economy of the app store and the state of the consumers' mindset than completely the developer's fault.
01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongjungbu View Post
They can charge $30-40 for other platforms though to actually cover that cost. Meanwhile ungrateful apple shoppers don't want to spend that much, but want equal or more. So it no longer becomes financially sound for many developers to invest in such a project. As great as Dead Space is on iOS, it's still not as complete in features and length as on the console/PC. It's more the economy of the app store and the state of the consumers' mindset than completely the developer's fault.
i think the reason for the price difference between ios games and games for ds,psp,etc is because with those game they require more cost for distribution, make the game, copy it on a UMD, or cartriage which cost money, then package it, deliver it, etc u get my point and on the appstore u just make the game, upload it, and no cost to keep it there. This way distribution isn't as pricey so games can afford to be cheaper. If game developers invest more money in the game then they can raise the price to say $15 or more which is near chaos ring's pricing, and chaos rings sold a lot of copies. The reason for apple shopper not wanting to spent much is becuz from what they've seen on the app store, they dont think they should spent more becuae no game has rly reached the level of a true gaming experience where it deserves more than $10 at the most

Gameloft Live: OVOXD
Game Centre: Foomps
01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Honestly the reason developers dont make " console quality games" is even if they did something close to it , people here will complain oh it doesnt have this or that feature. Dead Space is incredible but you still see people say oh this is missing oh thats missing. Even if a game is console quality , buyers see fit to complain on how it lacks a certain feature that it doesnt lack. Buyers will always complain unless its 99 cents. Where as console buyers do complain but still buy the games. I have the DS and PSP plus the ipod. I love carrying around the ipod as its easier but game wise it still has a way to go. Not because of developers but people need to worry about quality and not price.
01-31-2011, 05:58 PM
There is no reason to continue rehashing this. Major developers want larger profits then what the Appstore can offer them. There are some exceptions. EA is the biggest, but you have to understand that EA is the only company, as far as I can tell, that takes software development serious for every single gaming platform in existence. EA does not exclude anybody. Many other major, established, multi-platform companies have drawn a line in the sand though. Either offer us more profits, or we will seek out higher profits elsewhere. Activision is a prime example of this.
01-31-2011, 06:09 PM
EA is huge though. They have the financial power and people and developer contracts to really create a quality game and market it well, even moreso than Gameloft. They are a statistical outlier really.
01-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Anyway to change doesn't to don't in the thread title? It's causing a pain in my neck.
01-31-2011, 06:48 PM
I dont know why you guys are so hard on capcom. Sega I understand. MaXplosion is an amazing game and if it didnt get copied or was an original idea it would get all kinds of awards. Its a nintendo fsnboys wet dream. They love that stuff on the ds but we got it instead.

Last edited by BreakerofNations; 01-31-2011 at 07:37 PM.