★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Carmack comments on the new psp

01-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Carmack comments on the new psp

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/id...l-performance/

It is clear from the way he hyped rage and made it so much about graphics and his comments regarding the sony proeuct that he is a texh fiend. He is all excited and obsessed with hardware rsther thsn delivering the software to back it up.
01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakerofNations View Post
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/id...l-performance/

It is clear from the way he hyped rage and made it so much about graphics and his comments regarding the sony proeuct that he is a texh fiend. He is all excited and obsessed with hardware rsther thsn delivering the software to back it up.
so you don't consider MGS, Resistance, uncharted, COD and all the other great games that have been currently announced (not to mention the others that will be announced before release) software to back this up?

01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
uncharted is going to be the shit
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
You people are actually excited about a sony product after their abmyssal failure with the psp, umd, marketing, that went along with it as well as the less than stellar performance of the ps3 and move? They will never get portable gaming esp since it will be hacked and no one will want to make games for it like for psp. And esp since they rely on other companies making gMes dor it and every exclusive they make portable they just port to the ps2 (now it will be ps3) anyway. Plus graphics mean very little, nintendo and apple indy devs know how to make fun engaging games with some imagination. Id rather play back to the future On my ipad or mario on the original ds or even gba than some stupid sci fi gore fest that sony makes.
01-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Sony is probably the worst and most dishonest company ever. They lie about their future products to undercut competition and everything they release is eier stupidly made and too expensive for the time or just overpriced (like thsir laptops that xost as much as maxbook pros).
01-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Epic Citadel demo on NGP and iPhone 4:

Youtube link | Pop Up

I wish the video was higher-quality, but the new snow effects look impressive.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
01-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Quote:
You people are actually excited about a sony product after their abmyssal failure with the psp, umd, marketing, that went along with it as well as the less than stellar performance of the ps3 and move? They will never get portable gaming esp since it will be hacked and no one will want to make games for it like for psp. And esp since they rely on other companies making gMes dor it and every exclusive they make portable they just port to the ps2 (now it will be ps3) anyway. Plus graphics mean very little, nintendo and apple indy devs know how to make fun engaging games with some imagination. Id rather play back to the future On my ipad or mario on the original ds or even gba than some stupid sci fi gore fest that sony makes.
Did you ever actually play a PSP or were you too busy creaming on your DS? There were some brilliant games and most people don't consider 60 million units sold an abmyssal() failure.
01-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Sony is probably the worst and most dishonest company ever. They lie about their future products to undercut competition and everything they release is eier stupidly made and too expensive for the time or just overpriced (like thsir laptops that xost as much as maxbook pros).
Yea... Even with the high price of the PS3 Sony were losing money with each unit sold, simply because of the tech installed inside it. Sure, the NGP will probably cost a fair amount but that is a reflection of its power, not sony's greed (who will again be losing money).

And i have a macbook so I'm not biased or a Sony fanboy, but are you really trying to say any other computer company (Sony) are selling their computers expensive for what they offer relative to apple? C'mon, really?
01-31-2011, 08:58 PM
NGP is very interesting. I don't care for it, and I don't see it being successful, and (mostly) like many I feel like Sony hasn't learned a thing. They have had a really messy experience with the entire mobile market. I would never consider the current PSP a "failure" but it is a distant follower behind the market leader, and it doesn't bode well for their legacy with their next "X Years' Plan"

But a good point has been made.. "what else could Sony have done?" This is their style, it is what they know. They are an old stubborn company, and rather than adapt to the marketplace they've always tried to force it to shift to their thinking. Nintendo used to be this way, but many years now they've operated with this "disruptive" philosophy which has been serving the general mobile sector (Apple, Google, etc) very well.

NGP is technically a marvel and I am sure it will be supported with some excellent software. It does seem very short-sighted by Sony (especially in lieu of how much this setup will cost!) and sort of a backstep from where I would have expected them to move following the PSPgo (smaller and more portable, download-only)

I think the main point is, Nintendo and Sony really are dinosaurs in this arena. Sony looks worse since they've always had their lunch eaten by Nintendo in the portable scene, but now both of them are facing a much-less-certain future as the more (properly) convergent devices are now finally coming into their own (read: truly portable, with a phone built-in). Nintendo wisely sticks to presenting their nextgen portable as a dedicated gimmicky toy, Sony maintains that their device is for mature enthusiasts. It's too early to call this fight, time will have to tell.
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
NGP is very interesting. I don't care for it, and I don't see it being successful, and (mostly) like many I feel like Sony hasn't learned a thing. They have had a really messy experience with the entire mobile market. I would never consider the current PSP a "failure" but it is a distant follower behind the market leader, and it doesn't bode well for their legacy with their next "X Years' Plan"

But a good point has been made.. "what else could Sony have done?" This is their style, it is what they know. They are an old stubborn company, and rather than adapt to the marketplace they've always tried to force it to shift to their thinking. Nintendo used to be this way, but many years now they've operated with this "disruptive" philosophy which has been serving the general mobile sector (Apple, Google, etc) very well.

NGP is technically a marvel and I am sure it will be supported with some excellent software. It does seem very short-sighted by Sony (especially in lieu of how much this setup will cost!) and sort of a backstep from where I would have expected them to move following the PSPgo (smaller and more portable, download-only)

I think the main point is, Nintendo and Sony really are dinosaurs in this arena. Sony looks worse since they've always had their lunch eaten by Nintendo in the portable scene, but now both of them are facing a much-less-certain future as the more (properly) convergent devices are now finally coming into their own (read: truly portable, with a phone built-in). Nintendo wisely sticks to presenting their nextgen portable as a dedicated gimmicky toy, Sony maintains that their device is for mature enthusiasts. It's too early to call this fight, time will have to tell.
I think though you are underestimating the market for a true, hardcore portable gaming unit. The PSP tried to take that niche and to a degree did, but the lack of a second analogue stick really ever stopped the PSP from being able to effectively play many games, such as FPS'. No portable system could really play them until the NGS and this is a major selling factor and should allow it ti fill that hardcore niche. I'm not saying they will oversell the 3GS, but I believe the NGS will to some degree revolutionize the portable market, though a likely high price will ultimately affect this.