★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Phundroid
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 6.9 MB
  • Version: 1.15
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: The player takes the role of Johnny, a Kung Fu champion from America. An evil Kung Fu master has kidnapped Johnnys girlfriend Olivia, and now he must battle through five side-scrolling floors of life threatening obstacles to save her.

Johnny has the ability to punch high and low, as well as kick high, jump kick, and sweep kick. Combining these moves together with crouching and jumping will give him all of the moves he needs to succeed.

On each of the five floors you will encounter a variety of enemies. Battle your way through knife throwers, dodge snake-filled vases, escape fire breathing dragons, and narrowly avoid exploding confetti balls. At the end of each of the first four floors is a boss which must be beat prior to advancing to the next level. The final boss is on the fifth floor, and upon defeat Olivia will be freed.

Johnny only has three lives to carry him to the end of the game. In addition to fighting his way through many opponents, he also has to battle another element: time. Each level must be completed in the allotted 3000 seconds, or one life will be lost. If all three lives are depleted before the end of the game, Johnny is sent back to level one and must begin his journey all over again. You must work quickly and efficiently to ensure his grueling battles need not be repeated

KungPow will have you reminiscent of days at the arcade with a fist full of quarters ready to be played.

phundroid's comments:
Thanks everyone for the kind and honest feedback. KungPow a game based off of Kung Fu Master has now been released as a universal application.

I want to give out a few more promo codes so please let me know who is interested.

I hope everyone enjoys this game and that is brings back memories of better times.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kungpow/id414208182?mt=8&ls=1

Thanks,
Kevin
PhunDroid
02-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Kung Fu Master the old NES game? I used to love that game. I would like to try this out if you're offering codes...will leave you an honest iTunes review in return.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

02-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Game Impressions

Some impressions from playing on an iPad.

I like the subtle onscreen feedback near the main character showing where your d-pad is pressed. It goes a long way towards making the d-pad more usable, though it doesn't appear possible to jump left or right - I've only been able to jump straight up.

The graphics are a mix of what look like upscaled arcade assets and original art. The 2nd boss throws stars instead of boomerangs.

There's lots of little gameplay differences from the arcade. The knife throwers take more than 2 hits to take out, and you can crouch kick snakes. Heart icons sometimes pop out of enemies, which you can collect to restore your health.

You've got limited lives, and the game is much harder even than the arcade version. I'm an expert at the arcade original on which this is based and the NES port, but have not yet beaten level#3 in KungPow. It's frustrating going down from a swam of big and small grippers, struggling valiantly to try and shake them off.

At only 99 cents, this is worth a try for any fan of the original.

If there's an update, I'd encourage the developer to consider hooking up online leaderboards, to allow continues, and to make it easier to shake off grippers.
02-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks thats some great feedback. We plan on doing an update soon based off of your feedback so keep it coming.

Last edited by phundroid; 02-01-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: grammar
02-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the code!

Pretty darn good game, so far.

1. How do you go to the Main Menu or pause the game once gameplay starts?

2. How do you break free from the opponent's grasp? I see a hint to swipe left and right, but that doesn't work at all no matter how slow or frantic I swipe back and forth horizontally.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
02-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Thanks for the code!

Pretty darn good game, so far.

1. How do you go to the Main Menu or pause the game once gameplay starts?

2. How do you break free from the opponent's grasp? I see a hint to swipe left and right, but that doesn't work at all no matter how slow or frantic I swipe back and forth horizontally.
Thank ColeDaddy!

To be released you must swipe the d-pad LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT fast and you will be let go. The pause/menu can be brought up by pressing the upper right corner of the screen. A pause button is briefly shown at the start of the game then it slowly fades out.
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Ah...the D-PAD! Wasn't too obvious. Also, how do we beat the dude with the knives? My hits don't register contact. I do jump/duck to avoid the knives to stay alive, though.

Drummerboycroy
02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I like to try please
02-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Ah...the D-PAD! Wasn't too obvious. Also, how do we beat the dude with the knives? My hits don't register contact. I do jump/duck to avoid the knives to stay alive, though.
The knife ninja take about 4-5 kicks to kill.
02-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phundroid View Post
The knife ninja take about 4-5 kicks to kill.
Cool. What about the dude with the staff?

Drummerboycroy