★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Best game genre for the iPad?

View Poll Results: Best game genre for the iPad platform?
Puzzle 11 37.93%
Strategy 13 44.83%
Arcade 0 0%
Action 0 0%
Adventure 7 24.14%
Other? (leave a reply!) 3 10.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
02-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Best game genre for the iPad?

Hey guys! I got an iPad for my birthday in December and I have to say I still feel pretty overwhelmed by the awesome variety of games available to play on it. It seems like it's a really great platform for some different kinds of games than the ones that often do the best on the iPhone. I was just wondering, what game genre do you guys think is the coolest for the iPad? Answer the poll and feel free to leave a reply with a more specific answer! Thanks in advance for your opinions..

More about our games: Metaversal Studios | Twitter | Facebook
02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Lol....and then i look at your name & signature....and wonder why the hell you got your iPad last December while you already make universal games since halfway 2009.

You could also make a poll about what game genre you should start to develop as a studio.

OldskoolNL.nl : "Not Old, Just Older"

02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
we need more gridded turn based strategy games.

think advance wars. the touch screen works great for selecting, and the large screen gives you a great view of the battlefield.

there are some already, but the more the merrier!
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Boardgames. I don't have an iPad yet, but I'm going to buy one later this year in part because I love the boardgames on my iPhone like Carcassonne, Samurai, etc, etc, etc, but the iPad is the perfect platform for these games.
02-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wemakegames View Post
Hey guys! I got an iPad for my birthday in December and I have to say I still feel pretty overwhelmed by the awesome variety of games available to play on it. It seems like it's a really great platform for some different kinds of games than the ones that often do the best on the iPhone. I was just wondering, what game genre do you guys think is the coolest for the iPad? Answer the poll and feel free to leave a reply with a more specific answer! Thanks in advance for your opinions..
That's because there's a perceived lack of market for iPad games. The iPad tax isn't really helping things, though. You know, paying $10 for what iPhone users pay $7 for, and then not even getting a universal app!

Adventure games are where it's at. Monkey Island, Broken Sword, etc. - all so much better on the touch screen than the mouse. Why? Who knows.

Physics puzzlers, aka World of Goo.

And finally, F/TPS are doing well. Dead Space for instance is arguably largely superior on the iPad.

Now Playing: , Civilization Rev for iPad, Hero Academy, Sonic Racing, Kingdom Rush, Dungeon Raid, Where's my Where's My Water updates?
02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I do work for a game dev as of October 2010 but I swear, I really did get an iPad for my birthday! No lie! We make casual games but I personally prefer adventure puzzle games like Prof. Layton on the DS... I have played the Jim and Frank game which is pretty similar and am always on the lookout for other cool games like that.

More about our games: Metaversal Studios | Twitter | Facebook
02-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I think tower defense games work really well with the touch interface.
02-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdegrande View Post
I think tower defense games work really well with the touch interface.
However, in my opinion, developers should be conscious that TD games which started out on the iPhone will not necessarily be just as good on the iPad and they have to maximize the larger screen and find new things to do with it.
02-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuhski View Post
However, in my opinion, developers should be conscious that TD games which started out on the iPhone will not necessarily be just as good on the iPad and they have to maximize the larger screen and find new things to do with it.
It's true, I enjoyed working on Monster Feed (http://harrymack.blogspot.com/2010/1...-did-mash.html) and really appreciated that it was a fresh start for a game made specifically for the iPad. Go Tower Defense games!

Original Music and Sound Effects Design
www.harrymack.com
02-02-2011, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Boardgames. I don't have an iPad yet, but I'm going to buy one later this year in part because I love the boardgames on my iPhone like Carcassonne, Samurai, etc, etc, etc, but the iPad is the perfect platform for these games.
Yes, definitely. Boardgames is the best genre for the bigger screen of the iPad.