★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sony's NGP and the iPhone

02-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Sony's NGP and the iPhone

Okay we must admit the NGP is a beastly gaming console that currently has no competition with the power it has inside. BUT the thing Sony does is they''ll trying to bring closer the gap between console gaming and portable gaming by releasing ports of well known franchises on the console. The current philosophy between these 2 different type of gaming is that console gaming are for hardcore game that require flawless complicated control and portable gaming is mainly casual gaming simple games with simple controls that you can pull out while in line at the bank. The iPhone fits perfectly to that category, with a touchscreen and no preset buttons developers have limitless control possibilities.

This is why Angry Birds and Cut The Rope are number one on the App Store. The NGP should be considered a portable console because you won't be pulling it out while you're riding the bus or in the mall, but rather when you're at home or a friend's house or in school. The NGP also looks big and chunky so i guess you'll need a bag to carry it instead of putting it in your pocket. My point is that the NGP will better suit the hardcore gamers and the iPhone will suit the casual gamers and they both can co-exist while the sexually confused 3DS destroy children's retinas and crash and burn in sales

THE END

Gameloft Live: OVOXD
Game Centre: Foomps
02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Okay, I admit NGP is impressive but NGP isn't available for sale yet. And by that time it is, iPhone 5 would be on sale already. Who knows what Apple will bring us in the next generation of iPhone.

02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemsiro View Post
Okay, I admit NGP is impressive but NGP isn't available for sale yet. And by that time it is, iPhone 5 would be on sale already. Who knows what Apple will bring us in the next generation of iPhone.
nfc is already confirmed for the iphone 5 but even with the A5 chip it still only has half the power if not less than the NGP which was made for gaming and gaming only

Gameloft Live: OVOXD
Game Centre: Foomps
02-01-2011, 10:10 PM
By the time the NGP was announced, and the technical specs too, the iphone 5 was probably already designed and hardware decided upon. If anything we'll probably see the iphone 6 have competitve specs but the iphones 5 chip and hardware is too late to be changed.

Waiting for: Forgotten Memories, M.U.S.E, The Shadow Sun, Galaxy On Fire 3, Daredevil Dave 2, JumpKnight: Missions, Topia: Age of Creation, Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Max Payne, 2013: Infected Wars, Battlefield 3: Aftershock.
02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
As long as the NGP gets good games it will dominate 3DS and anything Apple can throw at it.
02-01-2011, 10:22 PM
If the NGP is roughly the same size as my PSP, it will fit in my pocket. The NGP touchscreen and back sensors means it's control possibilities will be limitless too. Most importantly, you are still comparing a device that is designed primarily as a phone first while the other a gaming console first. So I agree with th the OP that they can both exist just fine. They are not mutually exclusive. Some minor exceptions with iPad and iPod sorta.

But still, why argue. Did you buy an iPhone exclusively as a solution to handheld gaming? So you never make calls or receive text messages because it's a direct competitor to the PSP and NGP and therefore only plays games. It would be apalling to even do otherwise! It's one-dimensional and therefore the only thing we should complain about! Okay, sarcasm aside, as the iOS, DS, and PSP have already shown, you can and have both types of gamers and games (hardcore and casual) as or for a consumer for any one of those devices. And it will continue to be so for the iPhone 5, 3DS, and NGP.
02-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPhone 5 will kill the NGP.
02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
I think we should welcome any awesome system they want to throw at us. Who cares if one is better than the other. I LOVE my ipad and iphone games. So much so i play them more than my consoles now. If Sony wants to put out a great handheld specifically for gaming that kicks ass then great. I'll pick one up and love it. Like one person said the iphone is a phone first. Anything we get from iOS gaming is like a bonus. Only the people at Apple could have ever believed that the iphone would challenge the DS and PSP as a gaming device. Most others prob wud have never believed it possible and here we are. What a great surprise. The PSP2 and 3DS would be made no matter what so any great games om the iphone are like i said before, like a bonus. All the competition and great games on the iphone and ipad will only make Sony and Nintendo work harder at making a great and greater product than before. The first PSP was dissapointing. I think Sony thought that they would rule the portable market almost by default cause there was no competition as far as sheer power. The DS is underpowered compared to the PSP. So Sony got lazy and paid the price cause the DS kicked their ass. I doubt this PSP2 will be a dissapointment thats for sure.
02-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNexus View Post
nfc is already confirmed for the iphone 5 but even with the A5 chip it still only has half the power if not less than the NGP which was made for gaming and gaming only
Actually, according to the specs "leaked" before the NGP was announced, the iPhone's A5 processor is just about as powerful as that of the NGP (they're both based around the same Cortex A9 architecture). Keep in mind that while the NGP is a dedicated gaming machine, Apple wants the iPhone to be a HD video beast; both task requires serious horsepower in both processor and graphic chips.

But then again, that's all that's speculation at this point, since nobody knows for sure what the iPhone 5 will be packing.

BTW, this topic really belongs in the Other Discussion area.

Last edited by squarezero; 02-02-2011 at 01:32 AM.
02-02-2011, 01:35 AM