Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
Apple has a detection for jailbreaks in iBooks 1.2.1, but that's not quite the thing they should prevent (just jailbreaking is fine!)
Agreed! There is a fix for the iBook issue now, by the way.

Without jailbreaking, I would not own an iDevice (though iOS 3 and 4 have gone a long way towards addressing the problems I jailbreak to bypass), but an Android instead.

That is why I had such high hopes for Gameloft's IAP model. Jailbreaking without piracy would be the perfect marriage of convenience, power and usability, while still ensuring that developers maximise their profits.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

To everyone complaining about impressions of Starfront Collision THIS IS THE WRONG THREAD! This is a Gameloft IAP Discussion thread! Does Gameloft release these apps on Android, if so can they use the same IAP model on Android?

Last edited by *Sincere*; 02-16-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sincere* View Post
To everyone complaining about impressions of Starfront Collision THIS IS THE WRONG THREAD! This is a Gameloft IAP Discussion thread! Does Gameloft release these apps on Android, if so can they use the same IAP model on Android?
I assume those posts were moved here from the Starfront thread (probably by INSM).
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Can you gift an IAP? If I want to directly gift Starfront to someone is that possible? Not a big deal, just curious.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Can you gift an IAP? If I want to directly gift Starfront to someone is that possible? Not a big deal, just curious.
I don't think so, because all I see is an option to gift a app.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Location: You'll get there eventually if you just go this way: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I'm quite sure you can't.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamphetamine View Post
Sacred odyssey was cracked easily even with iap. All people had to do was change their udid and download some files then copy them to the right folder and wham...it's done. All it takes is for one cracker to buy game then it's out in pirate land. I dont condone piracy at all and I think it sucks for devs. But I do support jailbreaking and I like the new gameloft model, it's easier to try and get the game with only one download.
and by posting this it becomes even more apparent dont you think? also how do you know this is wham and its done? is this a thread on discussing gameloft's iap or different ways apps can be cracked? judging by the comment on your profile i'm assuming the latter.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

so no more RACE TO THE TOP 25 Paid Apps for Gameloft now.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by K?! View Post
Your not renting the game. How often do you reinstall and app, anyways? Twice a year, maybe? And going online to register it simply means that you tap a "restore purchases" button. This isn't restrictive DRM, it's just a new selling scheme. I doubt Gameloft is going to default and I'd imagine they'd give the IAP to everyone rather than no one if the did.
Let's say you moved, and it will be a week before you get internet. You decide maybe you should play some [game here] and reinstalls it with itunes. You can't.

It is DRM.

(Although the servers are maintained by apple, which shouldn't go down anytime soon.)

Another reason I could think of is maybe the game would not work for older devices, so less complaints about 'I bought this game and it doesn't work!'

Edit: Some people say that if you jailbreak, you can't purchase in-app-purchases. My iPhone is jailbroken and it can purchase IAP.

Last edited by Xapped; 02-17-2011 at 11:17 PM..
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xapped View Post
Let's say you moved, and it will be a week before you get internet. You decide maybe you should play some [game here] and reinstalls it with itunes. You can't.

It is DRM.

(Although the servers are maintained by apple, which shouldn't go down anytime soon.)

Another reason I could think of is maybe the game would not work for older devices, so less complaints about 'I bought this game and it doesn't work!'
Just to add to this

---
When you download the game it is 100% of the game. The IAP is just a key that allows you to go past whatever the "demo" is.

While it IS an anti piracy tactic it's incredibly easy to get past. It just requires a bit more knowhow the just running an auto cracking program.
---

The other big issue for us as consumers is that we no longer OWN our games.

I'll give an example:

I bought Stoneloops of Jurassica when it came out. Although it was pulled from the AppStore I still have my IPA. I still have it on my iPhone and as long as Apple doesn't change iOS in a way that breaks the game... it's mine forever.

If I bought Starfront: Collision and got the IAP key to play the rest of the game then there isn't much of a difference... UNLESS it was removed from the AppStore.

Let's say Blizzard says there are one to many similarities to StarCraft and want it pulled... Well as long as I keep Starfront on my device I'm completely fine. If I ever take it off my device then I'm in trouble. A reinstall means I need that unlock key again, but since the game is pulled I can't get it.
---

Even from Gameloft's position it isn't a very attractive proposition. They can never be on the top paid apps chart, they have a lower average rating in the AppStore, and any useful reviews (unless liked) will be drowned in the sea of people just trying it cause it was free and leaving bad reviews