★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: You are the adorably deceased, pickaxe-wielding cat "Dirt," trapped underground for reasons unclear. Where are you? Why have you been falling for so long? What else is down here with you?

Excavate potentially infinite screens of dirt, gems, mysterious artifacts, and clues about... well, that's a little unclear. Why don't you start digging and find out?

FEATURES:
-Endless, persistent world
-Digging,
-Shinies
-Multi-directional gravity using the accelerometer (NOTE: if you have a device where you can lock the orientation, you must unlock it for this to work!)
-Plenty of mysterious secrets to unearth
-Ambient soundtrack carefully crafted to maximise immersion even on iPhone speakers
-You're a skeleton cat with a pickaxe wearing boots

CREDITS
Stephen Gazzard - Lead Programmer
Lopi Mackenzie - Programmer
Jennalee Stad - Concept Art, Additional Art
Josiah Tobin - Lead Artist, Sound Design, Lopi stand-in

Dirt was designed collaboratively with much love by the family of the Broken Kings House.

===
iPhoneGameUk: "Dirt is best played with headphones as the ambient music in the game is simply fantastic...it's another awesome indie game which should be seeked out as is another hidden gem... i'm going to give this gem of a game a fantastic 5/5"

AppSpy: "Dirt by Broken Kings is a relatively short abstract narrative title that places you control of a cat-skeleton attempting to work out who he is and why he's digging around underground in a persistent world...much like Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor it's told via 'found objects' that are unlocked as you progress through your random ramblings...There's a zen-like appeal to the simple act of exploring environments without pressure, especially when you can backtrack quickly simply by 'falling' back through the passages you've made...Dirt is a pleasant heart-warming title, but beyond the narrative it fails to remain an engaging experience."

===What fans are saying!===

"a true gem, one of the best apps in the store.
not to be missed" -Draekosilver

"Once in a long while a game like this is created; a game that offers an experience that requires the players imagination to be active while playing; a game that requires you to explore a world in a meaningless manner, without the need to perform meaningless tasks. This game is a true vision, firstly because the developers left the option of additional narration open, and secondly because the game is polished enough to be an amusing gem-collecting-time-killer. It's when you combine the seemingly pointless gem collecting, odd object placement and endless exploration with little text to explain what is happening, you enter a world that delivers much more than a Mario-clone platformer, or major game remake for your handheld. I applaud the developers and will patiently wait for any updates or sequelss." -MeMyselfOrWho

"HOLY MOTHER OF GEEZUS!!! cryptic -_-" -Zithorio

"Another great Indie game that oozes a lot of character that some of the bigger games lack. " -Goose2K

"1: This game is creepy.
2: This game is sad.
3: This game us unconventional to the point that I wonder if I should even call it a game.

If you can cope with those three facts, do yourself a favor and skip all the spoiler-heavy reviews and buy this app. It's 99 cents, a cheap price to pay for an experience you're not likely to see duplicated." -Tom Mayflower

BrokenKings's comments:
Hey Toucharcaders

Youtube link | Pop Up

Dirt is a 2D Exploration/Adventure game that we developed a little over a week ago and that Apple just approved. In the game, you dig through an endless world in search of answers ... like, why have you been falling so long?

Excavation contest is now on! See page 2 of this topic for details.

Featured by apple in the New and Noteworthy section!

App Description:

You are the adorably deceased, pickaxe-wielding cat "Dirt," trapped underground for reasons unclear. Where are you? Why have you been falling for so long? What else is down here with you?

Excavate potentially infinite screens of dirt, gems, mysterious artifacts, and clues about... well, that's a little unclear. Why don't you start digging and find out?

FEATURES:
-Endless, persistent world
-Digging,
-Shinies
-Multi-directional gravity using the accelerometer
-Plenty of mysterious secrets to unearth
-Ambient soundtrack carefully crafted to maximise immersion even on iPhone speakers
-You're a skeleton cat with a pickaxe wearing boots

Dirt was designed collaboratively with much love by the family of the Broken Kings House.

end app description

As the thread title says, the game design was inspired by Minecraft, but this is in no way intended to be a 2D Minecraft nor a Minecraft clones ... we just love the feeling of exploring and discovering! Another inspiration is Shadow of the Colossus, more from the sense of discovery and mystery of the world between the Colossi.

As it says in the app description, the five of us involved in its creation really love the game and hope that you all enjoy it too

If you have any questions, comments, feel free to post it here, or e-mail me or whatever you like. We'd really love to hear what you think!

-Stephen, lead programmer
02-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Wow! Looks really cool. I might pick it up. I just have a huge backlog of games right now. But I agree. Just being able to explore is pretty awesome.

Funny Videos! My Youtube Channel
Check it out!
Proud Beta Tester of- The Infinity Project and Mission Europa
Fav. Games on PS3- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Portal, HalfLife2, Uncharted 2

02-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I like the idea. Getting it now.

(edit) Any plans to make it universal?
02-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Ok... I'll bite. I'm a sucker for digging/mining games and I'm intrigued by the make-a-game-over-a-weekend thing ya'll are doing. Good luck with it!
02-02-2011, 10:03 PM
For what it is, it's not bad. Although after the "reveal" when you've gathered enough gems for it to tell you to "go "up", is there any point to it? Hmmm :/
02-02-2011, 11:43 PM
The game is intended as a bit of an exploration game - discovery and mood are the theme of the game . To an extent, the purpose is defined by the player - they can dig all they want, find as many gems, artifacts, and excavations as they are able. The story you uncovered is a bit of a secret we hid in for the curious

I'd love to hear your thoughts in more detail. If you want to, you can feel free to send me a PM or an e-mail. This is a type of game that the household would like to work on again in the future, so we'd love to hear what you think.

Oh, and in regards to making it universal - we are thinking of doing something for the iPad, not 100% sure what just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deom View Post
Ok... I'll bite. I'm a sucker for digging/mining games and I'm intrigued by the make-a-game-over-a-weekend thing ya'll are doing. Good luck with it!
Hope you enjoy it and glad you are intrigued by our challenge.
02-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Reminds me more of I Dig It than Minecraft. That said, my frustration with I Dig It was needing to constantly return to the surface to refuel and stock up on supplies, which really made it more tedious than fun. (Especially considering those elements could've been incorporated into the digging part; just make them elements you have to collect during your digs.) This game looks more interesting if the focus truly is on simply exploring.
02-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleW View Post
Reminds me more of I Dig It than Minecraft. That said, my frustration with I Dig It was needing to constantly return to the surface to refuel and stock up on supplies, which really made it more tedious than fun. (Especially considering those elements could've been incorporated into the digging part; just make them elements you have to collect during your digs.) This game looks more interesting if the focus truly is on simply exploring.
That's exactly what it's about
02-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Started to get a bit excited when I saw this title, as I thought it might be the rally racer that I've played before on the xbox. But alas, I was wrong..... Oh, well....
02-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Game Impressions

Very cool idea, I just hope there are enough interesting discoveries scattered about to hold interest. If not, some should be added. Importantly though, this needs items that the cat can interact with, not merely discover and walk on by. Huge potential there, limited only by developers' imagination.

Also, I'd really like to see a map added; not for navigation but rather for the player to see how far they have progressed; particularly if the world is truly persistent. That alone would keep me coming back a while.