★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Do people like Word games n their own language?

02-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Do people like Word games n their own language?

Seeing the app stores Itunes etc for different countries, do you think it is important to make a word game in the country language?

However some word games do not convert well at all, as language structure is very diverse.
02-03-2011, 05:51 AM
er no. it's way too complicated in my native language

02-03-2011, 06:18 AM
if you cope for non english speaking markets , then absolutly..

depends how you see the world

localization can be a key point for sucess... especialy for a word! game..

if its a action shooter with 4 lines of spoken text no one will really care..

but games like scrabble etc. are usualy localized.. since most people do not speak several languages fluently.. and since your targeting a mass market with a word game with a demographic from 6 to 99 years.. yes i think localization will be important..

at the end your word game needs to be dictionary based anyway.. so you have a core engine which loads a database with words.. no biggie to make it multi language.. what will be more work is collecting a good rich database in the first place.
02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Very construcive
Thanks

B the way should that picture heading not be The World according to Mr Ugly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
if you cope for non english speaking markets , then absolutly..

depends how you see the world

localization can be a key point for sucess... especialy for a word! game..

if its a action shooter with 4 lines of spoken text no one will really care..

but games like scrabble etc. are usualy localized.. since most people do not speak several languages fluently.. and since your targeting a mass market with a word game with a demographic from 6 to 99 years.. yes i think localization will be important..

at the end your word game needs to be dictionary based anyway.. so you have a core engine which loads a database with words.. no biggie to make it multi language.. what will be more work is collecting a good rich database in the first place.
04-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I regurgitate this thread again asking about American English and British English in a word game?

As clues are involved spelling is different in a lot of words, and so should I consider this?

Also language again.

How the heck do you program in different language or even have like English speakers play a game against other language natives?

I would be very grateful on some insight on this from individuals and also anyone having launched a word game.

Last edited by Noodler; 04-23-2011 at 02:49 PM.
04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
I regurgitate this thread again asking about American English and British English in a word game?

As clues are involved spelling is different in a lot of words, and so should I consider this?

Also language again.

How the heck do you program in different language or even have like English speakers play a game against other language natives?

I would be very grateful on some insight on this from individuals and also anyone having launched a word game.
You localize the file. I would think word games load the words from a plist or some file format.
04-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohjingyu View Post
You localize the file. I would think word games load the words from a plist or some file format.
Many thanks
I guess a programmer will know this if I hire them?
04-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
Many thanks
I guess a programmer will know this if I hire them?
Should be, it isn't rocket science and there are many tutorials readily available on the net.

It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to set up - not counting the translation work of course.
04-24-2011, 03:26 AM
www.letterlicious.com

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
04-24-2011, 08:05 AM