★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Operation Stormwall is out!

03-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Operation Stormwall is out!

AppStore Link

We're happy to announce that our new arcade-shooter-type game, Operation Stormwall is just released!

Stunning visuals, realistic sound effects, and easy to learn gameplay mechanism with accelerometer control...

Gameplay Video on YouTube

03-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Looks interesting.
What's the game play like? Objectives?
A general description?

edit: oh i saw video link.

Youtube link | Pop Up

03-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikabast View Post
AppStore Link

We're happy to announce that our new arcade-shooter-type game, Operation Stormwall is just released!

Stunning visuals, realistic sound effects, and easy to learn gameplay mechanism with accelerometer control...
I saw this yesterday and just haven't had a chance to pick this up yet. The game looks great. Are there bosses in the game or is this more along the lines of Missile Command where your objective is this air defense?

Btw, what song is that in the video?
03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I saw this yesterday and just haven't had a chance to pick this up yet. The game looks great. Are there bosses in the game or is this more along the lines of Missile Command where your objective is this air defense?
It's a survival style game, so no bosses yet, but we're planning to implement a handful of new gamemodes in future updates... we just need some more feedback and wishes :-)

Quote:
Btw, what song is that in the video?
It's Monchichi PotenciŠl - Szinezz Mindent.
they have a myspace site somewhere, just google it...
03-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikabast View Post
It's a survival style game, so no bosses yet, but we're planning to implement a handful of new gamemodes in future updates... we just need some more feedback and wishes :-)

It's Monchichi PotenciŠl - Szinezz Mindent.
they have a myspace site somewhere, just google it...
Great, I'll pick this up when I get a chance and give you some feedback. Btw, thanks for the name of the song/artist.
03-29-2009, 12:57 PM
oh, did i forget to mention it's $0.99?
03-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Impressions of Operation Stormwall

I gave Operation Stormwall a spin, and overall, it’s pretty good. The premise is straightforward: you’re an air defense commander in charge of destroying enemy aircraft as they cross into range. The challenge is that you have limited time to do this and accuracy is important. The longer you go without destroying enemy aircraft, the quicker you lose time. When you hit aircraft, your healthbar/timer increases, but keep in the mind the speed of the aircraft also increases as you progress. Your ammo is somewhat limited because it requires reloading so you will have periods where you won’t be able to fire if you don’t plan accordingly. Also, there are helicopters that when destroyed offer a random weapon: Lightening, Black Hole, or Nuke.
  • Lightening temporarily slows down aircraft making them easier targets.
  • Black Hole pulls enemy aircraft into the middle of the screen and immobilizes them.
  • Nuke destroys all aircraft on the screen.
Operation Stormwall is accelerometer controlled so you tilt to aim, and sensitivity can be adjusted under Options. A Fire button is in the lower right-hand part of the screen which you tap to fire.

Suggestions/feedback:
  • What would add to the challenge is that enemy aircraft also return fire or drop bombs, which impact your time/healthbar
  • To add more depth, perhaps offer a different play mode where the mission is to destroy a certain type of aircraft within a given amount of time before advancing; this could then be described as an objective prior to each level or set of levels and you would have other aircraft that blocks/prevents you from completing your mission
  • Another possibility is to include paratroopers that you need to shoot down; create a second gauge (it could simply be another healthbar in a different color that monitors paratroopers that are able to land, and if enough land, the game is over regardless of your healthbar/timer status
  • Change the scenery as you progress through the game to offer more variety, perhaps every level or every 5 stages
  • Visually change how the weapons fire appears; right now, it’s a short spurt of light, and it would look better if it actually looked like a missile
  • Develop a tutorial that highlights different the various weapons and objectives
  • For the scoreboard, please include level completed
I like the feel of this game, and it’s intuitive enough to pick up and play. While it could use some more depth (what game couldn’t), I found Operation Stormwall enjoyable for what it is: a classic 2D shooter.

Last edited by Big Albie; 03-29-2009 at 02:35 PM.
03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I gave Operation Stormwall a spin, and overall, itís pretty good. The premise is straightforward: youíre an air defense commander in charge of destroying enemy aircraft as they cross into range. The challenge is that you have limited time to do this and accuracy is important. The longer you go without destroying enemy aircraft, the quicker you lose time. When you hit aircraft, your healthbar/timer increases, but keep in the mind the speed of the aircraft also increases as you progress. Your ammo is somewhat limited because it requires reloading so you will have periods where you wonít be able to fire if you donít plan accordingly. Also, there are helicopters that when destroyed offer a random weapon: Lightening, Black Hole, or Nuke.
  • Lightening temporarily slows down aircraft making them easier targets.
  • Black Hole pulls enemy aircraft into the middle of the screen and immobilizes them.
  • Nuke destroys all aircraft on the screen.
Operation Stormwall is accelerometer controlled so you tilt to aim, and sensitivity can be adjusted under Options. A Fire button is in the lower right-hand part of the screen which you tap to fire.

Suggestions/feedback:
  • What would add to the challenge is that enemy aircraft also return fire or drop bombs, which impact your time/healthbar
  • To add more depth, perhaps offer a different play mode where the mission is to destroy a certain type of aircraft within a given amount of time before advancing; this could then be described as an objective prior to each level or set of levels and you would have other aircraft that blocks/prevents you from completing your mission
  • Another possibility is to include paratroopers that you need to shoot down; create a second gauge (it could simply be another healthbar in a different color that monitors paratroopers that are able to land, and if enough land, the game is over regardless of your healthbar/timer status
  • Change the scenery as you progress through the game to offer more variety, perhaps every level or every 5 stages
  • Visually change how the weapons fire appears; right now, itís a short spurt of light, and it would look better if it actually looked like a missile
  • Develop a tutorial that highlights different the various weapons and objectives
  • For the scoreboard, please include level completed
I like the feel of this game, and itís intuitive enough to pick up and play. While it could use some more depth (what game couldnít), I found Operation Stormwall enjoyable for what it is: a classic 2D shooter.
Thanks Big Albie! Because of your in-depth look at this one, I am going to pick it up, yay!
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrom View Post
Thanks Big Albie! Because of your in-depth look at this one, I am going to pick it up, yay!
You find the obscure ones, and I find the ones worthy of getting dissected!
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Albie, your review was absolutely excellent! Had to tell you that. So informative. Does look pretty cool and now I know more about it.