★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: A dodge em' up game for the most skillful!

The object of the game is to collect as many colored asteroids as possible while avoiding brown asteroids and incoming ships. Touch the left and right sides of the screen to move the player ship. You only have one chance. No extra lives for this game!

-Retro pixel graphics with Retina Display!
-Best score is saved so you and friends can play for the highest score!
-Power-ups galore!
-Insane difficulty!!! not for the weak!!!
-Music by K.T.F!

By Team Dropkick! 2011

ktfright's comments:
Here is my retro inspired Dodge em' Up Shooter

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:

A dodge em' up game for the most skillful!

The object of the game is to collect as many colored asteroids as possible while avoiding brown asteroids and incoming ships. Touch the left and right sides of the screen to move the player ship. You only have one chance. No extra lives for this game!

-Retro pixel graphics with Retina Display!
-Best score is saved so you and friends can play for the highest score!
-Power-ups galore!
-Insane difficulty!!! not for the weak!!!
-Music by K.T.F!

By Team Dropkick! 2011
02-04-2011, 02:34 PM
it looks rad

is this what is called a "dodge 'em up?"

02-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
it looks rad

is this what is called a "dodge 'em up?"
Sort of...a dodge em' up does not usually let the player shoot anything, but The shooting here is not the main goal of the game.

Here is a video of the gameplay!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Artist and dev for Team Dropkick
02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Based on your video, I would say please please add a relative touch control. Like the ship follows your finger. Without that, you probably won't get many of the hardcore shmup fans.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Based on your video, I would say please please add a relative touch control. Like the ship follows your finger. Without that, you probably won't get many of the hardcore shmup fans.
Your probably right. I'll see If I can get something like that on the next update. Thanks!

Artist and dev for Team Dropkick
02-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
You say that as if you have someone in mind.
02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetSeven View Post
You say that as if you have someone in mind.
I have several in mind lol
Really, it follows some pretty proven history. All of the most popular shoot-em-ups have relative touch controls. And the ones that didn't, like Worldy Wings for example, quickly added it.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
just my opinion but i dont think the controls would drive anyone away. its similar to radiant which i feel is the one the best shoot-em-ups out. but i think putting the option for relative touch controls should be there. and you might want to consider tilt controls too just to have all your bases covered. i think i could be regarded as a "hardcore" shoot-em-up fan and i prefer the control you have now so please keep them as an option.

genres are not to be seen as forms of textual codifications, but as systems of orientations, expectations and conventions that circulate between industry, text and subject.
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Game Salad?

What do you get when you cross Robotron with Bomberman? - Coverfire HD
02-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Game Impressions

Cool game. I like the controls now personally. It's not really a schmup but more options the better. However, what it absolutely positively needs is for you to ditch the play again - menu style setup you have now. Make it so that tapping anywhere just starts the game again. Why would anyone want to exit to the menu? If they want to quit playing, they'll press the home button and quit the game.

It does need a quit to menu option somewhere, but up in the top right or top left (not the bottom - my thumbs are already there) like how canabalt does it.

I'm sure you know this, but game centre leaderboards should also be up there on your to do list.

-edit-

Yeah, that music really doesn't suit it. It's not bad, it just doesn't match the frenzied pace of the game or the retro art direction.

Think about what Cpt. PewPew would be listening to while he is dodging these MFin' asteroids and can never get his gun to fire quick enough. I think he'd put the doobie down for a second and change the station to something to pump him up a little more right before he did a massive hit of crank. Right now I feel like he's laid back with one hand out the window and one hand on the joystick watching family guy reruns on the dash unit.

Cpt. PewPew needs to get a little bit more excited about pewin'

Really neat game though. Love the art direction, beats and polish, although I think a retro chip tune might suit it? See if ur sound guy can put something together, u might like it.

Good game though, as almost always on the app store, well worth the dollar.

Last edited by KangaRod; 02-15-2011 at 12:41 AM.