★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: FPS control concept

03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
FPS control concept

FPS games are almost impossible on the iphone. Cube and silent hill come pretty close. I think half dead comes the closest control-wise.

Basically, the controls go like this: In the bottom left corner, there is a dpad/joystick that controls movement that you drag your finger much like hero of sparta, BIA, etc..... In the bottom right corner, you have a virtual dpad/joystick that controls your gun and where you are aiming. You can either have a seperate button for shooting on the left side much like half dead or it can automatically shoot when you look around with the right joystick (you would have to have lots or infinite ammo). This is exactly like control scheme 2 on BIA.

This is pretty much exactly like half dead but you can't move side to side in half dead. If only they would add side to side movement in half dead, it would be so much better. Same thing with cube, if only they would make their accelerometer movement less sensitive so you could walk and not run all the time (i guess it is supposed to be like quake so i understand that) or a dpad for movement in the bottom left corner. Im not sure about livefire's controls.

This is pretty much just combining half dead and cube and i guess some BIA as well.

Your thoughts?
03-29-2009, 01:30 PM
i completely agree with how the first person shooter games should be developed
on the bottom left the camera views and the bottom right the gun aim

what about zombie mansion? what kind of controls does that game use?

03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Your control scheme sounds really good. Instead of having limited ammo, how about your gun only firing when it recognizes your enemy is within your sight or scope? So like, once you line your shot up with your enemy your gun automatically starts to fire

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
03-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Or how about this. One tap=one shot. Double tap=automatic (eg. machine guns). You could have movement with left side of screen, move gun with right, and use my tapping idea. Grenade/mine throws can be a swipe up and switch weapons can be a swipe left or right (on top of screen maybe?). Just an idea.

Last edited by dmbfan1192; 03-29-2009 at 02:13 PM.
04-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan1192 View Post
Or how about this. One tap=one shot. Double tap=automatic (eg. machine guns). You could have movement with left side of screen, move gun with right, and use my tapping idea. Grenade/mine throws can be a swipe up and switch weapons can be a swipe left or right (on top of screen maybe?). Just an idea.

that sounds great. I was also thinking that the dpads should have better speed control than other fps games. So basically, you can have better control on how fast you move and look around. If you wanted to move/look around slower, you wouldnt move the imaginary dpad/joystick as far. If you wanted to sprint, you would move the joystick farther away - same for looking around.

I think that adding this, the things you said, and the things in the original post would make a perfect fps game for the iphone. Now, who is going to make this game.
04-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I think we are almost there with AI Wars.
We have a dynamic control on the left side for moving your player around, and a tap and move control on the right to control the view. This seems to work pretty well.

Most of the problem seems to be with having to double tap to fire, which can interfere with aiming. As I've just suggested in the other thread, Im thinking of having a 'moveable' fire button, that can be tapped and moved around in the top right corner, and to fire you simply tap it.
04-19-2009, 11:14 AM
One thing I hate seeing in an fps is accelerometer controls.

Last edited by chukwuka13; 04-19-2009 at 11:33 AM.
04-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukwuka13 View Post
One thing I hate seeing in an fps is accelerometer controls. I think those controls are only good for racers nothing else.
i agree with accelerometre controls not being good for fps, 2 virtual joysticks and a shoot button would work fine.. but accelerometre controls are good for games such as equilibrio and rolando arn't they..
04-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
i agree with accelerometre controls not being good for fps, 2 virtual joysticks and a shoot button would work fine.. but accelerometre controls are good for games such as equilibrio and rolando arn't they..
oh ya nvm wat i said about it just being for racers. I forgot game like thatexisted for the iphone/touch. When i posted this i was just only think bout actions games.
04-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Cube's control scheme is horrible. Tilt the device to go forward? That is beyond awkward, because you can't even see properly if you tilt the device like 70 degrees forward. The onscreen joystick idea is much more sensible.