★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Adobe Photoshop the best choice for graphics?

02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Adobe Photoshop the best choice for graphics?

So, lately I've been doing concept designs for my games and ideas on Adobe Illustrator, Graphics Gale, and a few other programs. Then I started hearing that Photoshop is the one of the (if not best) preferred choice for finalized graphics and such. I have Photoshop and most of the other Adobe products (Flash, Dreamweave, Fireworks, InDesign, and others), but I never thought Photoshop could be used for graphics editing and such. So what are the pros and cons of using Photoshop amongst all the other graphics programs out there?

Edit: I want to thank everyone for their recommendations. I've been using Photoshop frequently now and I've made some decent stuff for a beginner. here's something I just put together for a game idea:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	29870  

Add me on Dragonvale: Sirgh0st9
Playing on idevice: Tilt to Live, Jetpack Joyride, Tiny Wings, and Ninja Fishing.
Playing on Xbox/PC: League of Legends (username is Sirgh0st) and KoA: Reckoning

Last edited by ManofAegis; 02-09-2011 at 12:52 AM.
02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
seriously?
about the only thing PSD isn't good for, are vectors I suppose. Otherwise it's the most important tool I use every day - besides 3D applications - after 14 years and multiple studios. And every single studio I've worked at has used Photoshop as the primary 2D package (except one, which used Gimp, much to my chagrin)

if you're light on it, definitely jump in/buy some books/do some tutorials. you won't even look back.

02-04-2011, 08:07 PM
photoshop is the best. every graphic designer will tell you that
02-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
seriously?
about the only thing PSD isn't good for, are vectors I suppose. Otherwise it's the most important tool I use every day - besides 3D applications - after 14 years and multiple studios. And every single studio I've worked at has used Photoshop as the primary 2D package (except one, which used Gimp, much to my chagrin)

if you're light on it, definitely jump in/buy some books/do some tutorials. you won't even look back.
Alright cool, cause I've been doing a ton in all the other Adobe programs except Photoshop. Not sure why though. I guess I never got around to it

Add me on Dragonvale: Sirgh0st9
Playing on idevice: Tilt to Live, Jetpack Joyride, Tiny Wings, and Ninja Fishing.
Playing on Xbox/PC: League of Legends (username is Sirgh0st) and KoA: Reckoning
02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes, it is the best.

I am being "forced" to use the freeware program/Photoshop clone called GIMP for a particular project and I hate it. HATE I say!!! Okay, just had to vent, sorry.

If you have the money get Photoshop.
02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
allow me to non-conform. I hate photoshop. I think its bloated, slow and hard to navigate. I use GIMP instead, which isn't bloated, isn't slow, but is still hard to navigate for beginners.
02-04-2011, 10:05 PM
PSD speed is pretty good even on my old-ass PC, I guess it just depends how you work. Also it is extremely customizable, like any good app, so if you get your workflow all tight then you don't even need to think about how to do anything.. it does take practice, like anything.
02-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Pixelmator (transitioning to a Mac App Store exclusive) is an affordable alternative to Adobe Photoshop. Pixelmator uses far less hard drive space than Photoshop and Pixelmator is pretty fast. Photoshop has more features, but it's far more expensive.

Is Photoshop better than Pixelmator? Yes.
Is it 35 times better? I don't think so.
...but that's basically the difference in price between the two applications.

Michael Garofalo - App Developer and author of The Unofficial GameSalad Textbook.
02-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofAegis View Post
So, lately I've been doing concept designs for my games and ideas on Adobe Illustrator, Graphics Gale, and a few other programs. Then I started hearing that Photoshop is the one of the (if not best) preferred choice for finalized graphics and such. I have Photoshop and most of the other Adobe products (Flash, Dreamweave, Fireworks, InDesign, and others), but I never thought Photoshop could be used for graphics editing and such. So what are the pros and cons of using Photoshop amongst all the other graphics programs out there?
If you want to create original content from the ground-up, Adobe Illustrator is the way to go. If you want to polish that newly created artwork, or use pre-existing art to create kickass pieces, Photoshop is king. I use both, but I vastly prefer PSP. It's easier to get something "nice" looking faster.

Now Playing Broken Sword
02-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headcaseGames View Post
seriously?

Isn't that like a major deal breaker when it comes to iphone graphics? If you want your graphics to painlessly scale to different screen resolutions I mean.

I've heard most mobile developers use Illustrator. I found it not very intuitive and I've stuck with Fireworks instead.

I'd like to know what I'm missing out on by not using Photoshop though.