★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: ATP Apps
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 16.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: GIVE YOUR BRAIN A PRESENT!

Diminish is the most versatile and addictive word game you will ever play!

Find as many words as possible by combining adjacent letters in ANY directionup, down, left, right, backward, forward, diagonalas long as the letters are touching. Just slide your finger across the grid and watch the words come alive. See how much of the grid you can Diminish!

Anyone who reads English can play. Skill level doesnt matter.

No network connection required after download. Perfect for long plane flights.

Infinite puzzle generation. Create and play as many new puzzles as you want.

Multiple solutions for each puzzle. Replay the same puzzle with different words.

Multiple ways to compete with yourself and others.

- Percentage of grid completed
- Number of words found
- Longest word

Save puzzles to compare scores or play again

- Play the same puzzle to try to beat your own score
- Get other players to play the same puzzle to compete with your score

Diminish is compatible with iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. The game requires iOS 3.2 or later for iPad and iOS 4.0 or later for iPhone and iPod touch.

NOTE: Some users upgrading from version 1.0 to 1.1 experience app freezing after upgrade. Currently, the best way to fix this issue is to delete Diminish from your device and re-install it.

ojtitus's comments:

I love word games, I have been enjoying Moxie 2 and Professor Wordington's Spellatorium for a while and I am considering purchasing this one. So I wondered if anyone has played this yet and wanted to post some impressions.
02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Interesting game play here.

You randomly generate, for lack of a better term: 'letter matrices', which become your puzzles. You play them and save them. And once you've saved them you play them again and again in an attempt to achieve as close to a perfect score as possible.

Then you challenge your friends (currently only on the same device) to meet or beat your best scores on these same puzzles.

This is version 1 of what I think to be a very nice word game. Reminds me a bit of another word game I like, Oski, but where Oski is in the moment and minimal, Diminished finds depth in its much larger puzzles and the need to play each puzzle repeatedly searching for the best solution.

This is a keeper.

Mac user since 1988

02-05-2011, 03:16 PM
This looks like a great find. As I have too many games that I am currently playing - will wishlist this one, but this looks like one of the better word games out there.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Beware there are some bugs, most notably that the dictionary refuses to recognize some words as words, words which are indisputably words. But this is easily fixed.

What's also great about this game is that it does not necessarily privilege those with the greatest vocabulary... meaning a skillful child (but with a limited vocabulary) could very well best a well-bred adult's high score.

Mac user since 1988
02-13-2011, 03:01 AM
I enjoy this game and it looks beautiful, but without online competition, it's almost a non-starter.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 02-13-2011 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Wrong about scoring
02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Possibly a major sleeper - Now FREE!

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
"U.S. App Store: "This item is currently being modified. Please try again later."

This is happening a lot lately.