★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iSplume

10-30-2008, 07:31 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]

It has dropped to 99 cents and so I bought it, but I have to say that so far I'm disappointed. It isn't really much like the web flash game. Every level is just a blank screen. The only "splumes" that end up on the screen are the ones you shoot. It's almost interesting. The only thing you are going for is to complete levels as fast as you can. In fact you could take your time and finish a level in 2 days if you wanted. Finishing a level is just popping a certain number of bubbles (by matching 3 or more, of course). If the bubbles end up below the bottom line you have a few seconds to clear them from it or you lose.

In case you haven't played Splume, the difference in this game is the physics. The bubbles sway and move and they stick to each other when they come in contact. Also the bubbles are of varying sizes. On the iPhone you also can affect them via tilting. The physics of the game are cool, but I think they should have made the game more like the web version. I'm curious what others think about it. Maybe it will grow on me.

Also there is no sound, and seeing how they've dropped the price to 99 cents, I have to wonder if we'll ever get sound. This should be free if they aren't going to complete it, and without sound, it isn't complete.
10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Splume was very disappointing for the reasons you listed. Something you didn't mention was that if you don't like the color you have it's easy to dump it off by shooting it into the right or left wall. I finished the 20 levels with no trouble and then the only challenge is trying to beat your old times. Not too exciting. It's too bad, because the mechanics for a great game are there if they would just tweak it a bit (add time limits, put in other balls before the match, lower the ceiling, etc.).
10-30-2008, 10:32 AM
damn I like the web version but the negative review are what stopped me from buying this one before. I actually bought this one yesterday but haven't played it yet. I'm flying to san diego in a few hours so I'll try out some of the newer games I haven't gotten to yet.
10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I brought these issues up with the developer when I showed them my review, and they mentioned that iSplume, in its current state, was mostly a test to see what the market is like for their game and if it proved popular, that they'd continue learning about developing for the iPhone and make a more polished game.

Since their Flash version uses Unity and Unity will soon come out with an iPhone version of their engine, I imagine once that does happen we'll see a more glorious Splume on the iPhone.