★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Battle of Gundabad is the first DECK BUILDING CARD GAME on iPhone! Every player plays with his own set of cards. At game end the player with the most victory points (VP) wins!

The game consists of 27 cards with thousands of combinations and 2 game modes: Campaign and Normal Modes. In Campaign Mode you help Bolg to save his father by overcoming all kinds of challenges, while in Normal Mode every game you will be randomly assigned 10 out of 20 action cards which gives you thousands of different combinations. Battle of Gundabad is definitely a welcome addition to any deck building gamer's collection!
02-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Looks like a very basic card game -- any video or anyone TOFTT?

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)

02-07-2011, 02:55 AM
I do hope it's a typo.

A 27 card deck building game sounds kinda... underwhelming?
02-07-2011, 02:58 AM
There's a video here. Looks pretty basic, but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't good. Hmm.
On the other hand, 27 cards does seem rather underwhelming. Graphics are nice, though.

Last edited by LKR; 02-07-2011 at 03:03 AM.
02-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Wow.. Looks nice n i love mtg type of game. 27 cards is too few i think. But maybe later i just buy it.
02-07-2011, 08:12 AM
'deck building game'. Sounds kinda weird being that it has around half the amount of cards of a normal playing deck o_O.
02-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Nullroar
Am I the only one who is a bit put-off by the claim that it is the "first" deck-building game on iOS?

This simply does not stand up to the facts. Heck, the port of Orions onto iOS is quite old by now. And yes, 27 cards is quite underwhelming.

However, it still looks like it has great potential and I am grateful that the developer brought it to the platform, considering the lack of love for card games (although Shadow Era and Orions 2 are just around the corner).

I've placed geocached DRM-free USB copies of my newest game in various locations throughout Europe and Southeastern US. Email me if you find 'em for the free "explorer" cape.
02-07-2011, 02:06 PM
For better or for worse, this is a rethemed clone of the well-regarded card game "Dominion".

It's a deckbuilding game in that you're building a deck over the course of the game - it's not like a CCG where you build a deck before the game begins.

Re: 27 cards not being enough.... There's actually only 10 'kingdom' cards in play each game (plus the core 7 cards that are common to all games). The point of the game isn't immense variety at your disposal - it's making the most efficient use/combination of the limited options presented to you in each game.

Dominion is a fantastic game - it's the eighth-highest rated game of all time at board game mecca site boardgamegeek.com, and one of the games ahead of it is its own offshoot/expansion. Whether this is (a) a good implementation, and (b) worthy of giving the developer money despite the fact that he's wholesale ripping another game designer's game off (Dominion has been Donald X Vaccarino's baby for most of the past ten years), are the real questions.

Last edited by thatmarkguy; 02-07-2011 at 02:23 PM.
02-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Grabbed it. I've heard great things about Dominion over the years but have never had a chance to play it. Unfortunately, the in-game tutorial for this one is lacking in any direction at all regarding how to actually PLAY the game. They define everything you see on the screen with about half a sentence for each element and then say "Now go play!" The help screen is only vaguely more informative and still doesn't explain how the game is actually played.

Well, having never played Dominion, I can't make heads or tails of how to play this game. I literally lost the last 20 minutes trying to figure out what the hell to do. Perhaps a Dominion player might have better luck figuring it out.

It's too bad really, looks like it could be a fun game if it were explained in some detail. What I saw of the video also does little to help explain the play. For the moment my verdict is, unless it's confirmed that the gameplay is indeed a rip off of Dominion and you already know how to play that game, you're probably wasting $2. And of course there is the whole "possibly ripped off another person's game" angle to consider as well. If that's the case, this should be pulled unless the rights holder to Dominion allows it to exist.

Quorlan
02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
looks a lot like yu-gi-oh. 27 cards is too little. i trust Quorlan cause he making a TCG