★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Atari
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 8.6 MB
  • Version: 2.6
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 1 (1)
App description: Defend your cities, and dont let the nukes take out your missile silos.

Missile Command Ultra for the iPhone is a true evolution of Atari's classic. For the first time ever, players use the multi-touch feature to launch multiple missiles simultaneously, creating a new experience for this beloved game. You can also play against your friends with local two-player support. Additionally, you can choose to listen the game soundtrack, or your own tunes while playing.

How long can you survive?
02-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Where were these guys? They pulled all their retro remakes from the store over a year ago, and now it looks like they put back Centipede and Missile Command. Does anyone know if these are updated/improved in any way over the "old" iPhone versions? GameCenter would be a nice addition, for example.

From the descriptions, it looks like they no longer have the retro/original modes onboard.

Maybe they're gearing up for the release of iCADE? But that's not until June?

02-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Those of use who bought the old versions are screwed out of updates, but then again if there's no retro mode, then this is an update I don't need anyway.
02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Those of use who bought the old versions are screwed out of updates, but then again if there's no retro mode, then this is an update I don't need anyway.
Since it's only a dollar, I didn't get the old version, and it's small enough to grab over 3G, I bought it. Now I feel dirty for giving them money.

It's a stripped-down version of the old game they had on the store, no retro mode, just "ultra." It seems to be the same, has a 2008 copyright and everything.

"More games" shows an image of
Missile Command Ultra
Centipede Ultra
Super Breakout Ultra

The icon is is a sad little thing. Do you suppose anyone bothered to playtest "missil...dultra"???
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JindoFox View Post
Do you suppose anyone bothered to playtest "missil...dultra"???
It's from atari... so NO
02-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I grabbed Missile Command just before it was pulled a year ago and love it. Sad if this version does'nt include the classic mode.

That said, the Ultra mode is very much the same with updated graphics and a somewhat easier difficulty curve. If someone could confirm that Centipede is the same, I would Kay $.99 for Centipede Ultra in a heartbeat.

Last edited by GregB; 02-09-2011 at 12:57 PM.
02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
The icon is is a sad little thing. Do you suppose anyone bothered to playtest "missil...dultra"???
Ha i thought the same thing a few minutes back. Ridiculous ! Feel guilty now for buying it, wish i hadnt now. Oh well !
02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
I grabbed Missile Command just before it was pulled a year ago and love it. Sad if this version does'nt include the classic mode.
Yeah, really. The classic mode was by far the best thing about those retro Atari ports. Actually, the "Ultra" mode of super breakout was pretty decent, but humorously enough, that seems to be the only one they haven't re-released.

Playing: Space Ace, Road Blaster, So Long Oregon, Necronomicon CG, 7th Guest, Deathsmiles
Waiting for: Mad Dog McCree, 11th Hour, Necronomicon CG update!
02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
am i the only one who thinks this looks really cheap? i mean cmon.
02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Where were these guys? They pulled all their retro remakes from the store over a year ago, and now it looks like they put back Centipede and Missile Command. Does anyone know if these are updated/improved in any way over the "old" iPhone versions? GameCenter would be a nice addition, for example.

From the descriptions, it looks like they no longer have the retro/original modes onboard.

Maybe they're gearing up for the release of iCADE? But that's not until June?
I wish they'd make an icade for the ipod touch/phone! That would be so awesome!