★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone games releasing before IPAD...

02-10-2011, 05:12 AM
#1
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,831
iPhone games releasing before IPAD...

My recommendation for developers:

If you release an iPhone game (such as NBA Jam) and plan to provide an IPAD release in future - you could allow IPAD users to buy the Iphone version now ...and then purchase an upgrade to the IPAD version when it's released. The upgrade could be priced to cover the price difference between iPhone / iPad.

Under the current model, ipad owners such as myself put off the purchase to await the IPad release.... but by the time that happens, the game doesn't have the same buzz and new games are available.

Surely it's better to secure the sale now?

Your thoughts?
02-10-2011, 05:45 AM
#2
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,505
Cant blame the devs. There is no way to do something like this in Appstore.

02-10-2011, 08:39 AM
#3
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 368
I don't believe they are really losing out on a lot of sales because of the wait. If someone doesn't want to double-dip, they bought one copy at least. If they want the HD version and wait, it is less likely they will change their mind the following week or whenever. Just take a look here at TA. A lot of this is just complaining impatient customers that disillusioned themselves into thinking a developer should be threatened by said customers and a loss of sales. Then, you find within the context of their posts later that they did buy the iPad version afterall.
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
Cant blame the devs. There is no way to do something like this in Appstore.
There is a way... They simply release two apps for the iphone version, one for the iPhone users and one for iPad users. When the iPad release is ready they upgrade the initial iPad release only, possibly as an in-app purchase.

I don't really think they will start doing this.... But they could.

řƹȡ1
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongjungbu View Post
I don't believe they are really losing out on a lot of sales because of the wait. If someone doesn't want to double-dip, they bought one copy at least. If they want the HD version and wait, it is less likely they will change their mind the following week or whenever. Just take a look here at TA. A lot of this is just complaining impatient customers that disillusioned themselves into thinking a developer should be threatened by said customers and a loss of sales. Then, you find within the context of their posts later that they did buy the iPad version afterall.
I agree... I guess that I'm talking about the situation where the delay between iPhone and iPad releases is longer than a week.

řƹȡ1
02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
#6
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
There is a way... They simply release two apps for the iphone version, one for the iPhone users and one for iPad users. When the iPad release is ready they upgrade the initial iPad release only, possibly as an in-app purchase.

I don't really think they will start doing this.... But they could.
There is no way to lock the ipad version with IAP. And using 2 separate apps for iPhone will only end up creating confusion. Unless and until apple allows devs to add the option to download/enable the ipad version via IAP, there is absolutely nothing devs can do.

In the end, its just a few weeks wait at best. Just stop buying apps simply coz there is a buzz and only get the games which you find interesting and your problem will be resolved much more easily IMO.
02-10-2011, 08:26 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
There is no way to lock the ipad version with IAP....
Yeah, waiting is probably the easiest option. I'm just not a patient man and like to ride that buzz.

Out of curiosity, why cant an application be upgraded via IAP. Isnt that what gameloft did recently with their Zelda game? I thought the whole purpose of IAP is to buy an upgrade?

řƹȡ1
02-10-2011, 08:37 PM
#8
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: alea iacta est
Posts: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
Yeah, waiting is probably the easiest option. I'm just not a patient man and like to ride that buzz.

Out of curiosity, why cant an application be upgraded via IAP. Isnt that what gameloft did recently with their Zelda game? I thought the whole purpose of IAP is to buy an upgrade?
Simple: In order for an app to be universal, changes must be made to the binary (code) of the app. IAP is only allowed to add content, not modify existing code. Therefore, you can't change an existing app to universal without violating Apple's restrictions.
02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
#9
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by K?! View Post
...IAP is only allowed to add content, not modify existing code. Therefore, you can't change an existing app to universal without violating Apple's restrictions.
I wasn't aware of that policy constraint. Thanks for explaining.

řƹȡ1
02-11-2011, 07:13 AM
#10
I would at least like more info on the games that will have a hd version
I find it hard to find information on the hd versions and it's release date
At least then you would know
If it is coming and when
I've had this problem with need for speed hot pursuit
And sacred odyssey as examples
I just checked app store and saw there is a hd version of sacred od