★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What makes a good promo video?

02-11-2011, 11:54 AM
What makes a good promo video?

Hi all,

What do you think makes a good promo video? If you have an action packed game then gameplay will surely sell itself. However I have a puzzle game where it's not immediately obvious what's happening. This is the game and a demo video I've done during development:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Have you seen any good puzzle game trailers? What made them good?
02-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Keep 'em short. Simply as that. Try to keep your trailer below a minute. Show the main aspects of your game that are the most fun and leave everything out (like menu or desktop movies).
Personally I like some cartoons before the actual gameplay...like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope did. But that's my personal preference, and it's a little bit costly for the beginning.

02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
You could add something to just the basic game to add energy or comedy to a puzzle games trailer.

EG: On the level with the bombs you could have a full screen KABOOM! graphic (by full screen I mean outside the normal game screen).

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
02-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFactory View Post
Keep 'em short. Simply as that. Try to keep your trailer below a minute. Show the main aspects of your game that are the most fun and leave everything out (like menu or desktop movies).
You're so right about the length. I've been looking for some music to go with the video. I think anything more than 30 seconds would be too long thinking about it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
EG: On the level with the bombs you could have a full screen KABOOM! graphic (by full screen I mean outside the normal game screen).
I really like this idea. Although I'm moving away from a straight gameplay style video I might add some effects like this. Cheers.
02-11-2011, 04:48 PM
The app looks really cool, nice!

Yeah, tighten up the movie. 30 seconds should be enough time to show off the gameplay and features. Remove the in-between UI stuff, just do quick fades with the video and the user will understand that you're moving onto a "new" area.

One thing I like in demos is speeding up certain aspects. So if you have an area you want to show off but it takes a long time to show it...then just speed it up a bit (not too much where the user can't follow) but enough to show the big picture picture...quickly.

Let us know when you release the updated version.

iPhone/iPod Touch Apps by Tiny Tech Studios
02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Been working on this all night but I'm really happy with the result. Everything is coming together now. It feels like a complete package.

Youtube link | Pop Up
02-11-2011, 08:44 PM
02-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Agreed, the second video is really nice, has a great atmosphere and does the job very well!

I'm going to be starting my own video for Mountain King soon, do you mind me asking what software you used to put this video together? I have been looking at Sony Vegas, which looks good but I haven't downloaded the trial yet.

Good luck with Blockees, I'll watch out for its release, it looks very addictive

inogames - Follow my progress on Facebook

Last edited by Kodo; 02-12-2011 at 08:35 PM.
02-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodo View Post
Agreed, the second video is really nice, has a great atmosphere and does the job very well!

I'm going to be starting my own video for Mountain King soon, do you mind me asking what software you used to edit the video? I have been looking at Sony Vegas, which looks good but I haven't downloaded the trial yet.

Good luck with Blockees, I'll watch out for its release, it looks very addictive
I used Adobe After Effects. I don't really know how to use it, but I managed to muddle by to create the vid. I did learn some cool things that will help in the future if I have to make any more though.
02-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runloop View Post
Been working on this all night but I'm really happy with the result. Everything is coming together now. It feels like a complete package.

YouTube: video
the second video is alot better.. but i don't understand why you showed the safari browser again?

and i thing it would help to understand the game if you visualize the swipe gestures you do while playing (they are swiped right?)