★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

? for you gamers - IAP that removes ads?

02-12-2011, 04:21 PM
? for you gamers - IAP that removes ads?

I am thinking to release a game with an ad bar across the top of the screen.
Free game, full functionality, the only thing is there is an ad on top constantly (I think you all know how this looks by now)

I want to include an In-app Purchase to remove the ad (basically just replace with a blank space or something otherwise unobtrusive) and charge, say, $4.99 for it.

I don't expect many people will wanna buy the IAP, but I want to give those who enjoy the game but hate the ads (distracting and damaging to the aesthetic/game experience for some) an option. I feel that anything I develop is worth at LEAST $5, but I don't wanna restrict users of my app only to those who are willing to pay for it.

Based on experience, at this stage I feel that simply releasing an app for $1 is a hard sell, and releasing a "lite" version won't get as many downloads as I'd like (and doesn't really upsell the Full Version enough to be worth the effort)

What's your opinion? This is not a new idea - as a gamer, do you hate this, prefer it, don't care either way? I'm looking for some diverse opinions. Your thoughts are very appreciated - thanks!
02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Postin' from my Touch, so it'll be short. I don't care either way, it would work as a lite version for me.

I am so omniscient; if there were to be two omniscience's
I would be both!

02-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Well i personally dont really care about the app banners and paying 5 dollars just to remove them seems like a lot. Maybe charge a little les and more people would consider it.
02-12-2011, 04:31 PM
It really depends on the size and if they include audio. For example, I REALLY HATE the Ads in Coin Push Frenzy because they're so huge and pop up almost every 30 seconds and I dislike Pandora Radio's Ads as well, due to the fact that they tend to cover the whole screen and contain sound that last over 45 seconds. As long as you keep the apps short and simple, I won't mind.
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I mentioned $5, since when I have put out games many people do say "this is something that I would pay way more than a dollar for!" I do realize that most people aren't interested unless it's free (or close to it), but this way I could collect a semi-decent amount money from the people who actually don't mind paying (and really dislike ads that much) - but still giving a chance to everyone to experience the full game, with the possibility that I could still make some money off of a large number of downloads due to ad-revenue.

We put out a Lite version and it got a few hundred downloads, and a tiny percentage of upsell to Full - the Lite has since been taken down completely.
When we put our Full game out for free temporarily, we got WAYYY over 100,000 downloads. No ads though, so no chance of revenue.
02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't like this part at all: "(basically just replace with a blank space or something otherwise unobtrusive)". I expect the ad to be over a part of the game background which isn't needed to be visible to play, or that ad removal enlarges (part of) the game to still use the whole screen. Replacing the ad with something else still leaves an annoying wasted space. Especially when you have to pay that much to remove those ads (which I truly hate so much that I refuse to play games which have them) that would feel very unsatisfying.

Also: I am probably so used to paying $0.99 for ad removal (without extra features) that I can't imagine myself paying that much money to get rid of them even when done in a way I like it.
02-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
I don't like this part at all: "(basically just replace with a blank space or something otherwise unobtrusive)". I expect the ad to be over a part of the game background which isn't needed to be visible to play, or that ad removal enlarges (part of) the game to still use the whole screen. Replacing the ad with something else still leaves an annoying wasted space. Especially when you have to pay that much to remove those ads (which I truly hate so much that I refuse to play games which have them) that would feel very unsatisfying.

Also: I am probably so used to paying $0.99 for ad removal (without extra features) that I can't imagine myself paying that much money to get rid of them even when done in a way I like it.
This. Gamers hate paying .99 cents for an app, but they hate even more paying for IAP. Also, you better provide me with more than a blank graphic for 4.99. Expand the gameplay area, add some stats, something...
02-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post

well, leave it to me as a designer to come up with an elegant solution Real estate is often tight in these mobile games..

In such a case, I generally will have to design a game where it can work without needing that space, but if it is not being used then it can either blend into the background UI (unobtrusively, as I mentioned) or maybe some relevant game data can be put up there instead (perhaps otherwise only visible on a pause screen or something). Anyway, now I am getting technical.

Charging for the removal isn't so much as giving the player a huge extra value for their money, but rather giving them the option if they really enjoy the game but feel it is both too distracting with ads (meaning, they have a strong distaste for ads in general) AND they want to have a better method to support the developer.

Of course, if 50 people come in to this thread and say "this $5 option is a huge racket, you should get hit by a car and DIE for suggesting this" then I will realize that it's probably not a good idea to implement such a thing..!
02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I personally don't mind ads, especially if it's just a banner at the top or bottom. Though unless it's an online-only game, ads can be avoided by just playing without wifi.

Also, I do find $5 to just remove ads quite expensive. It doesn't really matter if your game is worth $5 or not, people will just see that they're paying $5 to remove the ads.
02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
this $5 option is a huge racket, you should get hit by a car and DIE for suggesting this. Just kidding.