★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: looking for a solid military game

02-12-2011, 10:30 PM
looking for a solid military game

I am looking for a solid military / strategy game , any suggestions ?

Would simply die for a port of the DS game , Age of Empires , Age of Mythology .
02-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Land Air Sea Warfare

its decent.

02-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Geee , only one reply ?
Seems to me the iPad just might be lacking in the solid military game department
02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_TO View Post
Geee , only one reply ?
Seems to me the iPad just might be lacking in the solid military game department
There's Civilizations: Revolutions and Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Rogue Planet is more like Advanced War, but you may also find it interesting. There's also a bunch of games that use variations of the Risk formula (Galcon, etc). Then there's the Gameloft game that's about to come out.

If you want something more tactical and story driven, I would look at War of Eustrath.
02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_TO View Post
Geee , only one reply ?
Yeah...it pretty much is. Either you get RTS-type games, or you get Risk-type games. That's all well and good, but it doesn't cover the military strategy genre in a way that I'd personally like (and personally, I'd love to see something like the Battlefront Combat Mission games).

There's a lot of area to explore for developers, but I'm not sure this is the right market. Clearly, most iOS gamers are interested in "pick up and play" type games. Therefore, a developer has to make a lot of investment with the potential for a limited return.

Just my 2 cents...

--DotComCTO
02-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post
Yeah...it pretty much is. Either you get RTS-type games, or you get Risk-type games. That's all well and good, but it doesn't cover the military strategy genre in a way that I'd personally like (and personally, I'd love to see something like the Battlefront Combat Mission games).

There's a lot of area to explore for developers, but I'm not sure this is the right market. Clearly, most iOS gamers are interested in "pick up and play" type games. Therefore, a developer has to make a lot of investment with the potential for a limited return.

Just my 2 cents...

--DotComCTO
I tend to agree , let's hope some devloper picks up on this
02-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Battle for Wesnoth is a good turn-based strategy game.

Combat Mission is great and it doesn't present any technical challenges for the iPad, but the market segment is small. I'd buy it, you would buy it, maybe a couple of the regulars here...

Whatever the overlap between current CM players that own own iPads, which I have no way to determine, would be a factor. Having said that, I do think the iDevice platform has proven to be the best at delivering niche titles, so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 02-14-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
02-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Agree with the posts above. While ther is no end of button mashing madness o. The app store, solid, strategy games which require thought over dexterity are sadly lacking.

Civ Rev, battle for wesnoth, rimelands, European war 2, are all solid turn based examples which I've enjoyed playing.
02-14-2011, 09:51 PM
contra, will work wonderfull also