★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone 5: Smaller screen size and implications on gaming?

02-13-2011, 01:25 AM
iPhone 5: Smaller screen size and implications on gaming?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41521714...ence-wireless/

Smaller is (usually) better, but i'm concerned about the implications it will have on gaming. To take a game like Battleheart for example, I couldn't imagine playing it on a screen any smaller than what the iPhone offers already.

What do you guys feel it would do for the portable gaming scene?

Gamecenter: KineticBlur
Now Playing (iOS): Hearthstone, Battleheart: Legacy
Now Playing (PS4): Watch Dogs
02-13-2011, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddToKmart View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41521714...ence-wireless/

Smaller is (usually) better, but i'm concerned about the implications it will have on gaming. To take a game like Battleheart for example, I couldn't imagine playing it on a screen any smaller than what the iPhone offers already.

What do you guys feel it would do for the portable gaming scene?
Nahh, I will pass. Keep in mind that apple is expected to release iPhone 5 and iPhone nano, two separate iPhones. I am definitely getting the iPhone 5 but not the nano. I am assuming the nano would be more cheaper with less power....

02-13-2011, 04:32 AM
If they are looking to go cheaper.. it wouldn't be the iPhone 5, and it will prolly contain a video chip that is like between the ipod 2g and 3g in power. Enough for any apps, but games not so much.
02-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
I don't believe it...yet. I don't understand why a smaller iphone would be needed. Its the perfect size the way it is. There's no point in going smaller.
02-13-2011, 05:49 AM
It would be a budget version if anything, just like it says in the article. Not the Iphone 5
02-13-2011, 06:02 AM
As it sounds like there would be two models available (the small version and the standard version), I think this could be a net plus for iOS gaming.
When used primarily as a phone, and in comparison to other cell phones, the iPhone really is kind of large. I think there would be an interest and a market for an iOS phone that is more in line with the size of a typical cell phone. Especially if it were cheaper and not bound to a contract with one specific service provider. In that case I think it would appeal to consumers who are shopping for a nice phone, but not neccessarily a "smart phone" or multi-purpose "device." For those buyers, I think a smaller, cheaper iPhone would be more easily considered as an option alongside other phones, and I do think that the number of potential buyers like that could represent a significant new market for Apple.
The upshot of all that, then, would be more people using iOS devices. And though they might not be serious gamers, I think the numbers representing that increased user base would be hard for developers to ignore.
An increased market would mean increased demand, and I would hope that such demand would be met by an increase in supply from app developers. That, then, would mean good news overall for iOS gamers.
02-13-2011, 06:12 AM
By the way, thanks for pointing out that article, KiddToKmart.
02-13-2011, 06:48 AM
Send a message via MSN to weilies Send a message via Skype™ to weilies
Budget? If you cant affort the phone? u wont buy the useful apps
I do think we paid for our entertainment on iPhone.

Smaller screen mean cant affort to pay for the apps, mean not fun using iPhone
Rather go for BB, cheaper then
02-13-2011, 07:08 AM
The nano will come with a detachable magnifying glass like the original game boy. It will also contain a 200 watts RMS sub woofer and a pair of testicles.
02-13-2011, 07:22 AM
If there is two sizes for the next iphone, wouldn't that be a pain for games? I mean, people have to wait for 'HD' versions for their iPad, wouldn't three sizes be some what an overkill?