★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Best Tower Defense game

10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Send a message via AIM to fpugirl
Best Tower Defense game

I have never tried a Tower Defense game before, but after reading all of the forums on here, I would like to try one. I know there are a few out now, with Fieldrunners seeming to be the most popular (although everyone wants an update). Can someone suggest which is the best bang for my buck? I'd prefer to only buy one. And I'd like one that will give me a good amount of play time. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I'm on twitter: http://twitter.com/fpugirl iTD, 7 Cities, The Creeps, geoDefense (i love TD games!!), Supermarket mania, Stone Loops...current fave games
10-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Fieldrunners is the best I've tried, even without the upcoming update.

I'm still undecided about buying besiegement, but I'm curious what others think about it.

10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Fieldrunners without a doubt!! An update that adds sound and a whole host of new features is due out shortly. Its very addictive and cute. As a first time TD player (unless Age of Empires counts!) I found Mote-M difficult to grasp for a beginner. There was too much going on without much explanation. I gave it a few tries but just came away dazed and confused. With Fieldrunners - you dont need to know anything - the interface is clean and simple. As soon as the game starts - it is pretty straight forward, although there is a mini help guide within the game if you need it. Fieldrunners is much more simple and that makes working out your strategies much more fun. It's the first game I have played on the iPhone for more than an hour straight. Definitely recommend it!
10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsum View Post
I found Mote-M difficult to grasp for a beginner. There was too much going on without much explanation. I gave it a few tries but just came away dazed and confused.
Exactly. I can only enjoy Mote-m now that I've played Fieldrunners. I first, I thought it was a dumb concept. After Fieldrunners, I'm liking the genre a lot.
10-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Field Runners
Once the update comes it will be far better then mote m or anyother ones.

"Insert generic signature here"
10-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Hrm. I agree that it is difficult to enjoy Mote-M without prior experience in TD games - I've been playing these kinds of games for a while, and I still find Mote-M too hard! However, as fun as Fieldrunners is, I'm going to have to actually recommend Besiegement over it, especially for a newcomer.

Here's my rationale: First off, I don't think that we can really judge games by taking into account promised updates that haven't actually arrived yet. Having said that, I feel that Besiegement is a more complete and accessible game. Fieldrunners, as fun as it is, still requires a grasp of basic TD sense, both with mazing and getting a sense of how to properly spend your resources. I find resource management to be very important in Fieldrunners, especially because there are only 4 towers. However, truth be told, I've only played Fieldrunners on hard mode.

Besiegement, on the other hand, eases you into TD games better, I think. Most of the levels have it so you don't need to worry about mazing at all. Furthermore, the levels in Besiegement, with the medals system, encourages you to try new towers, and it's far more forgiving in this respect than Fieldrunners. Furthermore, I just feel like there's more to do in Besiegement. There are quite a few stages, each with different maps and enemies, in the Story Mode, not to mention a Challenge mode. To get the most out of Fieldrunners, on the other hand, once you more or less figure out what you're doing, requires you to continually nitpick and make minor tweaks to your tower layout. It gets a bit tedious, especially given that there's only one map.

So yeah, because I feel that at this point, Besiegement is more forgiving (at least initially) and offers more value, I'd recommend it over Fieldrunners. It's also $1 cheaper, I think.
10-30-2008, 04:51 PM
besiegement for the way...

it has lots of levels (most of them around 20 waves each) in a "story" mode and challenges as well (50 waves in a maze map, "only-arrows" on a path field, etc...)

the graphics aren't too shabby either, great fun! fieldrunners is ALL ABOUT graphics, which is awesome, but you will be paying for the graphics, not depth / gameplay.

mote-m is cheaper than fieldrunners and has the same concept. idefend is too much of a "pattern" TD, no strategy at all - you just figure out where to place a specific tower and you win... short waves (like 3-7 per level) and only 36 "puzzles" to be solved.
10-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Can i make a future prediction? I am gonna say Crystal Defenders is going to pwn the competition!................. In about 8 months
10-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Send a message via AIM to fpugirl
I was pretty set on fieldrunners but now I'm torn between that and besiegement. I might have to get both because everyone has great points about each!

I'm on twitter: http://twitter.com/fpugirl iTD, 7 Cities, The Creeps, geoDefense (i love TD games!!), Supermarket mania, Stone Loops...current fave games
10-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Can you wait a month or so? I have a feeling something else might show up. Hehe.